• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Watford | September 29, 2018 15:00 BST

Match Prediction for El Clasicajones

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Isaac Success is just the type of striker our defenders hate to play against then again so is Deeney who'll drift onto Bellerin every chance he gets .

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

@Tir Na Nog I'm gonna ask you to change your vote please. You have been voting either for a draw or a loss recently and it seems we have been on a roll since. Lets continue the trend shall we?

Didn't even know people were picking up on this. :lol:

Was actually meant to pick Watford, will change it now.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Monreal
Xhaka - Torreira
Welbeck - Özil - Aubameyang
Lacazette

Think this would be alright really, could swap Welbz for Iwobi possibly, but Welbeck isn't playing bad right now and would off much more protection for Bellerin, in turn Özil can get back into that number 10 position and Ramsey can be on the bench or at home.

TorontoGooner76

I think Emery was hinting that Welbeck could get a start. He has been performing well and always gives a good effort. Then Again, I think Mkhi should be back in the side soon as well. Great to see this kind of competition for places, actually. In the past everyone felt pretty secure knowing that they would see their name on the teamsheet week in and week out. Glad this isn't the case so much anymore.

No Ramsey for this one. He needs to fight for game time and with recent events I think we can start to play him less. I want a team effort not the Aaron Ramsey show. May be just as well to have Özil back in his more central free role again.

At least now with Emery in charge, we should have a game plan each time out as opposed to before when the boss would let them "just play". This will be a tough one but I think we will edge it.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I think Emery was hinting that Welbeck could get a start. He has been performing well and always gives a good effort. Then Again, I think Mkhi should be back in the side soon as well. Great to see this kind of competition for places, actually. In the past everyone felt pretty secure knowing that they would see their name on the teamsheet week in and week out. Glad this isn't the case so much anymore.

No Ramsey for this one. He needs to fight for game time and with recent events I think we can start to play him less. I want a team effort not the Aaron Ramsey show. May be just as well to have Özil back in his more central free role again.

At least now with Emery in charge, we should have a game plan each time out as opposed to before when the boss would let them "just play". This will be a tough one but I think we will edge it.
Part of this competition stems from not enough players being clearly better than their competitors for the first XI. We didn't need much competition in the era of the Invincibles.

Ramsey is on the way out now, I think he will now have a magnificently indifferent season.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I hate NBC sports so much. They’re showing Spuds Huddersfield instead of Arsenal. How does that make sense? Huddersfield are dead last. **** these greedy ****s.
*edit*just tried to sign up for their free preview of gold this weekend and the form can’t be completed on a phone:lol:

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I hate NBC sports so much. They’re showing Spuds Huddersfield instead of Arsenal. How does that make sense? Huddersfield are dead last. **** these greedy ****s.
*edit*just tried to sign up for their free preview of gold this weekend and the form can’t be completed on a phone:lol:
Ziggo in holland are showing City-Brighton instead of us because they wanna show two dutch guys playing for brighton getting stuffed by City. Our match looks the most competitive of the ones at that time but hey, two ****ty dutch guys are playing.

Vantastico

I can't stand watching that wannabe-model turned traffic cone Xhaka and the beta-personality personified Shkodran play in our side on a weekly basis. That being said, we need their presence in a big way today.

Can't risk playing Matteo and Lucas together. Imagine if they both got injured at the same time... we would have to play El Nenny consistent minutes with no senior squad back-up :lol: Either that, or Ramsey got his act back together as a box-to-box midfielder (meaning BOTH boxes... you're not a striker Aaron!! :mad:).

Mustafi is one of few options at central defense who actually fits the profile, bar the boneheaded mistakes and that mindnumbing thing he does, where he passes back to the goalkeeper and then points somewhere that has somehow become an inherent part of his playing style o_O

We also need a healthy Sokratis alongside him; if he isn't fully recovered yet, throw Rob to the wolves.

A win today would be massive. Let's go Gunners! :)

ThlRama

Player:Saka
We have been pretty lucky so far with teams not taking their chances in the first half.

That goes two ways though, doesn't it?

Were our teams between 2009 and around 2013 not notoriously "unlucky?" Were we not playing amazing football, creating countless chances yet somehow missing them or whatever?

Were we not "unlucky" vs. Chelsea where we could've scored a third in the first half? And so on.

Emery doesn't play with luck though, I feel. I think he very well knows the chances of us conceding under those circumstances are lower than it might seem to the naked eye.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Watford are not where they are by happenstance. They've been a well drilled team ever since Gracia took over. They'll be out to prove their mettle & what better target than the team perceived to have a soft underbelly.

Hopefully Emery has reviewed their tactics & planned accordingly. We'll score more than enough to win the game, Kabasele's return will not be a deciding factor for them. Mustafi's ( & by extension Bellerin's) idiocy, however, will have a huge bearing on our fortunes. We need to set the pace so we can dictate the outcome of the match. A similar man of the match performance from Cech wouldn't be amiss as well.

A consecutive 2-0 to the Arsenal.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That goes two ways though, doesn't it?

Were our teams between 2009 and around 2013 not notoriously "unlucky?" Were we not playing amazing football, creating countless chances yet somehow missing them or whatever?

Were we not "unlucky" vs. Chelsea where we could've scored a third in the first half? And so on.

Emery doesn't play with luck though, I feel. I think he very well knows the chances of us conceding under those circumstances are lower than it might seem to the naked eye.

Unlucky is having a decision go against you. I.e a sending off that shouldn't have been or penalty decision that wasn't. You can have bad luck due to poor judgement from officials. Poor finishing, such as faili to score tap ins, or failing to bury 1 of your 10 chances then conceed to the first shot on target of the opposition because you give them such a big chance. That isn't luck. That's just terrible defending.

Against Everton we should have been 1 down after 2 mins. We were lucky Everton can't finish. We were lucky Leno didn't kick the ball into his own net. We are currently riding our luck defensively.

ThlRama

Unlucky is having a decision go against you. I.e a sending off that shouldn't have been or penalty decision that wasn't. You can have bad luck due to poor judgement from officials. Poor finishing, such as faili to score tap ins, or failing to bury 1 of your 10 chances then conceed to the first shot on target of the opposition because you give them such a big chance. That isn't luck. That's just terrible defending.

Against Everton we should have been 1 down after 2 mins. We were lucky Everton can't finish. We were lucky Leno didn't kick the ball into his own net. We are currently riding our luck defensively.

So on one hand luck is about refereeing decisions, and on the other hand luck is how well the opponent can finish?

Other than the fact that you contradict your own definition within a few lines, I would say Emery knew very well that Everton's exciting forward line includes players that are inexperienced or ineffective in their finishing, and decided to play with that in mind. Walcott acted exactly like he used to do here for years, he had a touch that pushed the ball too far forward and allowed our keeper to neutralize him (Cech has always been good in one-on-ones,) Richarlison is too young to just make the right decision and finish off clinically under pressure. Sure we could've played better defensively, but the room we allowed them at the back exposed the weaknesses rather than the strengths of their forward line.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So on one hand luck is about refereeing decisions, and on the other hand luck is how well the opponent can finish?

Other than the fact that you contradict your own definition within a few lines, I would say Emery knew very well that Everton's exciting forward line includes players that are inexperienced or ineffective in their finishing, and decided to play with that in mind. Walcott acted exactly like he used to do here for years, he had a touch that pushed the ball too far forward and allowed our keeper to neutralize him (Cech has always been good in one-on-ones,) Richarlison is too young to just make the right decision and finish off clinically under pressure. Sure we could've played better defensively, but the room we allowed them at the back exposed the weaknesses rather than the strengths of their forward line.

Firstly I gave an example of having bad luck. I didn't define bad luck and say that is the only way you can be unlucky.

You can defend poorly and be lucky the opposition do not punish you with opportunities that at the level of football we are watching should be buried.

We were lucky Everton didn't score their chances just as much as Chelsea were lucky we didn't score ours. Everton were not unlucky in the way they missed their chances. Neither were we against Chelsea. They were poor finishes.

I am not even talking about the Walcott chance. I am talking about the ball Calvert Lewin should have squared for a tap in in the first minute. Also to suggest that Emery played the way he did because he thought Everton would miss chances due to their inexperience is ridiculous. That would suggest he has the gift of foresight, which he doesn't. We just defended badly and required our goalkeeper to have a man of the match performance to bail us out as well as Everton finishing poorly.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Playing Ramsey is getting more criminal with every game that passes. Emery should put his ass in the stands.. just play Miki/Iwobi/Welbz instead. Its not like Ramsey is playing that well or we dont have the options to replace him...

ThlRama

Firstly I gave an example of having bad luck. I didn't define bad luck and say that is the only way you can be unlucky.

You can defend poorly and be lucky the opposition do not punish you with opportunities that at the level of football we are watching should be buried.

We were lucky Everton didn't score their chances just as much as Chelsea were lucky we didn't score ours. Everton were not unlucky in the way they missed their chances. Neither were we against Chelsea. They were poor finishes.

I am not even talking about the Walcott chance. I am talking about the ball Calvert Lewin should have squared for a tap in in the first minute. Also to suggest that Emery played the way he did because he thought Everton would miss chances due to their inexperience is ridiculous. That would suggest he has the gift of foresight, which he doesn't. We just defended badly and required our goalkeeper to have a man of the match performance to bail us out as well as Everton finishing poorly.

OK, that makes sense. You are a sensible poster overall but on this specific matter (the Everton game in particular) we'll just have to agree to disagree. Not that I'm happy with the performance at all, I just don't think it's as bad and unplanned as you're making out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom