• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Bolton Wanderers | 20/03/04

JazzG

Established Member
namliam said:
Forget the performace

You can't ignore performances this bad on your own ground. They couldn't get near us in the first half but in the 2nd half we were all over the place.

However we got the points...

bobbypires

Established Member
First 30 minutes were great and then... Charlton game. I think it was the same that today.
Posession between 25 and 30 was 91%-9% :!:
Hope they play better against Chelsea.

Soler

Established Member
If that were any other side - Man United, Chelsea, Tottenham, anyone! - we would've dealt with it but because it was those bastards from Lancashire, we basically fell apart. It wasn't complacency, it was nerves ... that needs to be worked on.

As well as set pieces!!

patrick42uk

Established Member
it'd be nice to win every game with a brilliant performance. the thing is though, not a lot of teams will sit back and let you do that. Its becoming increasingly difficult to get an 'easy' game in the premiership these days which is a credit to the league. On the odd occasions even the top teams can be beaten by supposed lesser sides on off days. which makes our season even more remarkable because we are having these off days but still taking three points from games.

Soler

Established Member
Anyone reckon that second half was our worst performance in the League this season? I was tearing my hair out that they couldn't even get a simple pass working, as well as Bergkamp passing off. :x

JazzG

Established Member
Mad Jens said:
If that were any other side - Man United, Chelsea, Tottenham, anyone! - we would've dealt with it but because it was those bastards from Lancashire, we basically fell apart. It wasn't complacency, it was nerves ... that needs to be worked on.

As well as set pieces!!

I really hope your right, that is 2 home games in a row where we could (probably should) have thrown away the result. Having a few of these results scattered around the season is ok, but having them at this time simply isn't on. 9 games to go, we should be scoring 3 or 4 before we relax.

It wasn't even the fact that bolton were sitting back patrick, they were attacking us hard and last season we probably would of collapsed. We just couldn't pass properly in the 2nd half. Thankfully we just held on, they say champions can play bad and win. I'd much rather play good and win :p

Soler

Established Member
This is what I don't like - shutting up shop when they're 2-0 up after only twenty five minutes! They've been doing this lately, Charlton home and today. They need to smack in at least three before shutting it up, but even then that should only be happening around the 60th-65th minute.

Soler

Established Member
Also, why wasn't Pederson given a straight red? He deliberately hand balled the ball, and the last I checked that's a straight red card.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Mad Jens said:
This is what I don't like - shutting up shop when they're 2-0 up after only twenty five minutes! They've been doing this lately, Charlton home and today. They need to smack in at least three before shutting it up, but even then that should only be happening around the 60th-65th minute.

i dont agree. with the games we have i think its RIGHT to shut off shop when you have a two goal lead becausse thats a comfortable cushion at any stage of a game. energy conservation is important especially at this late stage of the season.

JazzG

Established Member
Mad Jens said:

Exactly, man utd at their peak would just keep going until like 70 odd mins, they usually would have 3 or 4 goals by then.

Arsenal316 said:
I have no problem with that mentality as long as they win, period.

This mentality will end up costing you points, we had it last season and we just played for the first half and went missing in the 2nd, when we only had 1 goal leads we threw away points.

Gunner4life09

i thought we played brilliantly in the 1st half, but then its like we swicthed of the flow or something. we couldn't make passes, missing clear chances infront of the goal etc . . .

i think today is just 1 of those off days or the players just didn't try during the second half because of the crucial game angaisnt chelsea coming up.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
i dont agree. with the games we have i think its RIGHT to shut off shop when you have a two goal lead becausse thats a comfortable cushion at any stage of a game. energy conservation is important especially at this late stage of the season.

I don't agree with you, 2 goals is not enough. They get 1 flukey goal and they right back in it. Once you switch off it is hard to get going again, this is what happened to us. We simply couldn't get going after Lehmann had made the mistake and Campo scored. Bolton at this point were in full flow and we ended up having to hang on for most of the 2nd half, that is more draining then actually playing well.

kNiteMare

Gunner4life09 said:
i thought we played brilliantly in the 1st half, but then its like we swicthed of the flow or something. we couldn't make passes, missing clear chances infront of the goal etc . . .

i think today is just 1 of those off days or the players just didn't try during the second half because of the crucial game angaisnt chelsea coming up.

Wasnt the attitude one game at a time?? I think we are lucky today judging from what you guys say. btw i watch the manure-tott game (since that's the only one live over in aus for free). manure dominate the game pretty much which is a bit of a suprised. Now they have a week rest it will be hard come this saturday.

kNiteMare

JazzG said:
Once you switch off it is hard to get going again, this is what happened to us. We simply couldn't get going after Lehmann had made the mistake and Campo scored. Bolton at this point were in full flow and we ended up having to hang on for most of the 2nd half, that is more draining then actually playing well.

Agree, better to play until we are at least 3 up then rest. It is a lot more mentally draining hanging on like maniac.

Gunner4life09

Originally posted by Gunner4life09:

Wasnt the attitude one game at a time?? I think we are lucky today judging from what you guys say. btw i watch the manure-tott game (since that's the only one live over in aus for free). manure dominate the game pretty much which is a bit of a suprised. Now they have a week rest it will be hard come this saturday.

well would you rather lose to bolton in the Premiership which we have a comfortable lead or angainst chelsea in the Champions League. personally i would prefer to lose to bolton.

Top Bottom