• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Charlton Athletic | 28/2/04

gooner

I watched the whole Arsenal – Vigo match. No way were Arsenal at there best and most of the players looked pretty tired. Edu scored our first with a scrappy goal, which he done well to score. Then their Edu scored a goal for Vigo with a good header, and from an Arsenal point of view a very poor goal to concede. If you watch the replays it was Vieira’s fault because if you are marking a player you have to mark him tightly from the front but Vieira backed off him for a split second and then we were punished. Celta Vigo really started to hassle our defence. It was a fair result at half time when both teams went in at 1 – 1 as Vigo were playing very well.

Arsenal came out in the second half and just about after 30 seconds Mostovoi hit the bar from a brilliant Edu cross. It was no doubt Arsenal was having an off day in aerial challenges. Celta vigo were really pressuring us and then a brilliant goal from Edu. He turned the defender beautifully and then when he hit the shot I thought it was a good attempt that will go just wide of the post but it curled beautifully into the top corner and it was probably Edu’s best goal in an Arsenal shirt. Then we conceded another very cheap goal from a corner. Mostovoi hit a normal cross which again Vieira should have got before one of their players knocked it down for the other Vigo player to lash in which Lehman nearly kept out. Then at the other end we scored a brilliant passing goal. Henry played a pass to Pires and he cushioned it perfectly into his path and just as I thought Henry would shoot He unselfishly squared it to Pires who coolly slotted into the bottom right hand corner. Henry was having a very bad day, but this is where he has vastly improved this season in my eyes. When he is having an off day like today he can do one little piece of magic that normally turns into a goal.

Wenger will not be pleased at all with the two soft goals that we let in, and may concentrate on more defending this week when the team is doing training.

Below are my player ratings although some of them are generous:

Lehmann – 6/10 – Could not do anything about the first goal. He nearly cost us a second goal, but he made up fir it with a wonderful save. I personally think he should have got a better hand on the their second goal but he was unlucky.

Lauren – 5/10 – He was getting tortured down the left flank by Edu. I like Lauren because he is very solid but he just needs to work a bit more on his positional sense.

Campbell – 6/10 – Made one excellent challenge in the first half to deny Milosevic. He could have done more with their second goal.

Toure – 6/10 – He worked hard and was assured throughout.

Clichy – 7/10 – He was the hardest working out of the whole back four. He was making many runs, and also done a lot of defending. We have a very talented young player in Clichy and will be great cover for Cole.

Ljungberg – 4/10 – He looked well out of sorts. He hasn’t played for a few weeks now and didn’t look very dangerous at all. He still worked very hard which pleased me and he came back to help Lauren on several occasions.
Vieira – 5/10 – was fairly strong in midfield and he should have done better on both of the goals we conceded.

Edu – 8/10 – My man of the match. He worked his ass off and scored a scrappy goal as well as a wonder goal. He has played extremely well this season and surely Wenger can’t consider making someone else Vieira’s central midfield partner with the way Edu is currently playing.

Pires – 6/10 – Looked out of sorts but still scored our crucial third goal after a brilliant one – two with Henry. I think he goes down too much that is why the refs just tend to ignore him afterwards even when he has been legitimately fouled.

Reyes – 4/10 – Nearly cosy us a goal because of a poor pass. He looks very dangerous when he is running at defenders and he has great control but he has to learn to release the ball early.

Henry – 6/10 – A very normal game from Henry today especially as he has set such high standards for himself. He was in one them angry moody moods today. He was moaning and getting frustrated a lot as well as angry and he was going in madly in a few of the challenges. He picked up a cheap yellow card and was close to getting red – carded. Played a big part in out third goal. He was in about three one – on – one situations today’s with their right back but he didn’t seem up for it.

Kanu – 5/10 – Showed great touches when he came on and made two excellent tackles. Maybe he should have started instead of Reyes.

Bentley and Cygan barely had any time to get a rating.

Anyone see the Munich – Madrid match. Munich were playing excellent and they would have been at least three – nil up if they had taken all their chances. Makaay scored a good header and I knew they will regret it for missing all those early chances when Madrid equalised. Carlos took a powerful free kick and Kahn looked like he had it covered and then it creeped under his body and went in. What a poor goal to let in, especially for a goalkeeper of Kahn’s ability. No wonder Lehmann wants to be Germany number 1.

Anyway back to the premiership this Saturday as Charlton come to Highbury. I think they are one of the most hard working teams and never get enough credit as they deserve and they also have some very good players, and in Curbishley they have one of the best managers in the premiership, because he is always honest and he gets the most out of his players. Below is a list of who I think are their key players:

Kiely – Key man 4
Jensen + Holland + Konchesky – Key men 3
Euell + Lisbie – Key men 2
Di Canio + Cole – Key man 1

Charlton have sorely missed Parker since he left for Chelsea. Last week they just about beat Blackburn at home with a last minute wonder goal from Jensen. I still remember when we played them earlier on this season when Henry scored a fantastic free kick. They scored from an initial debatable penalty. Henry also hit the post but Charlton worked very hard throughout the whole match.

Two players who represent Charlton for me the best are Matt Holland and dean Kiely. Holland is the driving force like our Vieira especially now Parker has gone and is very hard working, composed and does a lot of team work, and in Kiely they have a great consistent keeper, who makes some excellent saves and also has a great presence about him.

The best team I would send out against Charlton would be:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole

Ljungberg/Gilberto Viera Edu Pires

Henry Bergkamp

I would consider playing Gilberto on the right as he will have had a good rest and Ljungberg needs more time to recover.

This has been a very good week for Arsenal by first beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and now getting our first victory in Spain. People are saying we have won the premierhsip already, but there are still 12 games to go with a lot of points at stake. All it takes is a few slips from Arsenal and Man utd are straight back into the driving seat again. I want a good performance from the gunners on Saturday especially as they have one week to recover for the next match, which is away to Portsmouth in the FA cup. As I have said some of the players look like they are tired and need a rest but before they have a one-week break I hope they get all three points against to cap off a good week for Arsenal.

Come on you gunners!!!!

Soler

Established Member
Good write-up as always.

I'm going to go with the same lineup with Gilberto on the right, and Freddie on the bench. I think it'll be a standard 2-0 win to the Arsenal, with goals from Henry and Vieira.

Legend#1

Established Member
Nice write up

I wouldn't give Reyes 4 though, he looked quite dangerous in the 2nd half, very good link up play with henry and pires, he wasn't great but it was his CL debut

We NEED a right back! Lauren isn't good enough if we want to win comps like the CL, he got TORTURED against Edu and the 18 yr old rookie Clichy dealt with him

n_henry

I'm going for 1-0 win against Charlton. Henry to get back on the scoring sheets. :D

I reckon we should play Freddie on the right, not GIlberto...

KingReyes

Established Member
Charlton always manage to give us a hard game for some reason or another. I read somewhere they have a few defensive concerns. Hope this makes our win easier.

jc8gooner

I actually think this is going to be one of our hardest games. Any win will do me.
That's what I think too. Especially seeing we had a hard away European match in midweek. Charlton usually play well against the big teams, and are good in London derbies. They are missing Scott Parker but have players who can cause problems like Di Canio, Carlton Cole etc. We'll do well to get all 3 points in this game.

Adam

Established Member
I am cautious.

This match is a very hard contest off the back of a European game.

Charlton's ethic is to work exceptionally hard at closing the opposition down - probably the best at it in the League after Arsenal. The midfield battle is always important - especially in the centre. Vieira has had a tough time against some Charltn midfielders down the years... Parker for one, Jensen another.

The saving grace is that Perry and Fish are out. Meaning they will have to play around with their back four - which has been a solid base for them this season.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
historically, we never play well after a CL match.. this game could be VERY dangerous for us.... i think we will play poorly again, and be lucky to scrape a win from the match... i am truly glad that Parker has gone, cuz he was one of their main players, and their defence will be a tad shaky.. hopefully DB10 can unlock them and release a few balls that can be converted...

having said that i think we will barely win, i HOPE that we play fantastic footie and score 4 on them... lol

A

Anonymous

They will pack the midfield, play one up front and hope for a draw, which if they play like they can is very possible.

Id take a 1-0 now, as we arent really playing very well.

Id expect Dennis to come back in and partner Henry, with Reyes dropping to the bench.

Is Gilberto fit? If he is I think he will make the bench, as you cant drop Edu right now. Or it is possible that Gilberto will come in on the right with Freddie dropping out who had a mare in Vigo. I suppose Reyes could also play there, but i doubt it.

Anders Limpar

Then I go with Freddie sparkling (it would be so good for the team to get him going yet again), nicely set up by Bergy twice and then Henry makes the third (from excellent diplay by Pires)...when we come back from 1-0 behind...

3-1

gypped

Obviously our players are going to be pretty tired between playing against chelsea and flying to spain, and playing away from home. We'll have a huge advantage in a fortnight when we play Celta at Highbury. As for the Charlton game, it makes me a little nervous. I predict either a 2-2 draw, or a 2-1 win for, with Pires and Henry netting.

algunner

The players are tired but one who is not is Henry and Pires. ofcourse Bergkamp will play upfront gives more attacking option with those sublime passes. The players that need a break are Viera and Edu have been brilient but tired especially Viera Did a lot of running against Chelsea and then in Vigo but he should be fine by saturday. I Think Fredie will start to give him match practice as well as Gilberto as he had a break all week ( not travelled). Not that Edu was not brilient the whole week but the two goals that we conceded against Celta would not have been if Gilberto played. He is good in defending headers from set pieces. No wonder Wenger keeps playing him even though Edu keeps scoring. Wenger will bring back Cole as he is fit and give the Kid Clichy a break (did a good job).

Lehman
Lauren Kolo Sol Cole

Fredie Viera Edu Pires

Bergkamp Henry

Subs:Stack; Cygan, Edu, Kanu,Reyes

Henry usually scores against Charlton. might get a hatrick. Its been a while since he got one.

algunner

The players are tired but one who is not is Henry and Pires. ofcourse Bergkamp will play upfront gives more attacking option with those sublime passes. The players that need a break are Viera and Edu have been brilient but tired especially Viera Did a lot of running against Chelsea and then in Vigo but he should be fine by saturday. I Think Fredie will start to give him match practice as well as Gilberto as he had a break all week ( not travelled). Not that Edu was not brilient the whole week but the two goals that we conceded against Celta would not have been if Gilberto played. He is good in defending headers from set pieces. No wonder Wenger keeps playing him even though Edu keeps scoring. Wenger will bring back Cole as he is fit and give the Kid Clichy a break (did a good job).

Lehman
Lauren Kolo Sol Cole

Fredie Viera Edu Pires

Bergkamp Henry

Subs:Stack; Cygan, Edu, Kanu,Reyes

Henry usually scores against Charlton. might get a hatrick. Its been a while since he got one.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Charlton at Highbury is never a walkover. Even when we score 5, they get 3. In Jensen, Holland, Euell, di Canio and Cole Charlton have got some very good players. I think it will be pretty tight but Charlton's defence isn't good enough to keep us out.

Top Bottom