PL | Arsenal vs Chelsea | 3rd of January @ 19:45 GMT | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by Aevius, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Match Prediction

Poll closed Jan 3, 2018.
  1. Arsenal Win

25.0%
  2. Draw

22.7%
  3. Airplane Banner Businesses Boom in 2018

52.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

He makes contact with Moses's knee before he trips himself. BeIN and NBC Sports had good angles of it. All on BeIN agreed there was contact but they didn't all agree on it being a penalty or not. I think it was. I've seen it given way too many times in the past. Defender makes contact, which causes the player to trip himself.

NieThePiet and American_Gooner like this.
  2. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Hoping Emery cloud has a silver lining

That's because the Sky pundits kept going on about it. But the Sky Ref Watch said the ref called it correctly.

3. Lookin' for a new Baby

Lookin' for a new Baby New name pending...

I wish somebody would post a clip I could see.

4. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

Go to this website

5. Lookin' for a new Baby

Thanks, just a white screen, I need to download something but I have Firefox and I think they're probably incompatible or something.

6. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

Clearly a browser issue then. You probably need the latest Adobe flash plugin for Firefox.

Can you switch to Chrome?

7. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Never blatantly, but it does creep into his analysis. Rarely hear him say a bad word about Lukaku for example.

8. Lookin' for a new Baby

Yes I do have Chrome I'll try that, ta.

9. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

Gary Neville wouldnt stop banging on about it. It was infuriating.

I guess the "every right to go down"/"initiating contact" rules dont apply to Arsenal players.

The Vardy one still really annoys me as he straight up jumps away from the ball and into Monreal.

krengon, Heskey, Godwin1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Lookin' for a new Baby

Got it! Still can't see any contact.

11. American_Gooner

How would AMN trip himself in that situation anyway? He was going to plant his right foot before the contact with Moses caused his leg to straighten and then go into his standing foot.

It happens all the time, that's why attackers are told run across their defender. Either they pull out leaving you in the clear, or they make contact (incidental or not) and it's a foul. I didn't think this was a penalty though.

Heskey likes this.
  12. James Bond

Boy how could I forget!?

Dont remember Neville coming out condemning Rooney for manufacturing/making up contact here.

redanddread and Heskey like this.
  13. American_Gooner

What does that even mean, request observations?

14. James Bond

God I hate the FA. Soo ****ing backwards.

If you're a manager and you publicly question a call/decision a ref makes and you'll get questioned by the FA and open yourself up for a fine and a ban. While the ref making the poor call(s) NEVER has to answer to ANYTHING.

krengon, Gooner Zig, Heskey and 3 others like this.
  15. Sudders

Sudders Member

But usually in those instances the defender cuts across the back of the attacker or makes a movement towards the ball or leg... In this case I don't think either happened and if anything, AMN cut across him. I'm not saying I haven't seen them given but no way is it for me

16. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

There was contact that caused AMN to trip himself. Wouldn't have gone over if there wasn't contact. Pen for me.

Goonerozil33 likes this.
  17. Camron

Camron Well-Known Member

Honestly with all the hate in the media, the backlash from fans, the issues with FA and disrespect from other managers (even opposition fans), constant critique from ex players he loved and who loved him, I don't know where he finds the strength to continue on. Lot of respect for the love for the club, commitment and thick skin this man has.

al-Ustaadh likes this.
  18. arsmile

arsmile Well-Known Member

I hope wenger goals all-in in ripping apart the FA

get suspended for the rest of your contract...that's how to go out in a blaze of glory

redanddread, al-Ustaadh and <<reed>> like this.
  19. Heskey

Heskey Well-Known Member

Agree.

Also I find it ridiculous that people are saying **** like "imagine if they had a better striker than Morata". So the striker they paid 62M euro for is not good enough to score on at least one of three big chances? Sure.

I am more leaning towards a, what if De Gea and Courtois didn't have monster games against us? Or if our defense was more cohesive and played together weekly. That would change things more.

Gooner Zig likes this.
  20. Sudders

Sudders Member

Which leads us into the tricky patch of intentional or accidental contact. Should all contact be treated the same? What if said player sticks his leg towards the defender and draws the contact much like Jack did outside the box?

I don't think it's simple as that and we'd be fuming if a pen like that was given against us.... Again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.