• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Chelsea | Saturday 26th December | KO: 17:30 GMT | Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyres7

In terms of Werner, I saw two issues in his game before joining Chelsea, even though I would have still been really excited to sign him- and wont be surprised if he eventually turns it around.

Firstly I was wondering how he would work out up front in the Premier League, as a lone striker. He loves operating in the left channel of the front line (reason why I saw him as a good replacement for Auba). He is more of a striker you would see in Fifa, really fast nimble and energetic with some clever dribbling. But I rarely see players like that flourish in the PL as a lone striker, they certainly need some sort of hold up game, or the team needs to be specially structured to get them the ball facing the defenders rather than their back to it. That's why he is being deployed as a left winger, but then when it doesnt work out and he cant get close enough to goal you're relying on him in a different way. He isn't a top winger he's kind of like a second forward. If I was a Chelsea fan I would be intrigued to see a two striker formation where he pairs with Giroud/Tammy (probably giroud for his hold up play and ability to bring other players into the game with his selfless work- Tammy is a bit more selfish).

Secondly, although I dont have an amazing sample size I saw that he's not a lethal finisher. He seemed to miss a lot of sitters when I watched him and that has certainly carried that through to his time at Chelsea. You could make a compilation of his misses already. He's more of the kind of guy to get a lot of chances due to his movement and tenacity but not be as lethal as other players. Similar to Cavani at PSG, Auba in his first season at Arsenal etc.

Altogether I think Chelsea made that signing more because of his profile and price point than how he tactically suits the side, probably the same with Havertz to an extent. They needed a top class target man (unfortunately being linked with Haaland now) rather than this sort of player. Because then you find yourself playing a £50m striker wide left even though you have a top player in Pulisic for that position...
They probably bought him for the same reason we went for Auba after Giroud, they got fed up with having an immobile lamp post up front and wanted someone with pace and movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom