• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Manchester United | Wednesday 1st January | KO: 20:00 | BT Sport

Result?

• Arsenal Win

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • United Win

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You really trying to argue that Özil has a history of tracking back? Today is an exemption to that rule and I hope it continues.

As you've said it's one game but I generally have a lot of problems with the distance covered stat.

What impressed me about Özil's performance and what he's been lacking is intensity and purpose in the way he engages opponents without the ball not this narrative about the amount of running he does.

He actually pressed the United defenders with intent and the reaction from the fans was in recognition of that. It should be a minimum standard though and if anything it proves he can and should be doing more.

Ewarwoowar

Sky ratings-

Papa getting man of the match from Sky prospective, don't think I have ever seen them this generous with the numbers, click on the link to see full post inc- Utd ratings and critique

https://www.skysports.com/football/...yer-ratings-sokratis-and-nicolas-pepe-impress

Bernd Leno - 8

His error proved costly against Chelsea on Sunday but he looked assured throughout on this occasion. He did not have a great deal to do in the first half, but helped to keep United at bay in the second, making one brave save from Marcus Rashford in the closing stages.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles - 8

Another encouraging showing from the 22-year-old, who generally dealt well with the threat of Anthony Martial on Arsenal's right, making some important tackles and interceptions and also providing attacking support.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos - 9

Possibly his best performance for Arsenal. Took his goal well, thumping home from close range following a corner, but it was his defensive contribution that really stood out. He showed impressive alertness to mop up danger on a number of occasions and threw himself into tackles bravely.

David Luiz - 8

Another commanding display following his eye-catching showing against former club Chelsea on Sunday. Showed impressive leadership, cajoled the crowd and - like his centre-back partner - was instrumental in helping Arsenal keep only their third Premier League clean sheet of the season.

Sead Kolasinac - 8

Returned to the side ahead of schedule following an ankle injury. Had an awkward moment early on when he was booked for bringing down Daniel James, but recovered well. Played an important role in the opener and provided an important attacking outlet on the left before his substitution in the second half.

Granit Xhaka - 7

His future at the club is uncertain, with Hertha Berlin chasing his signature, but he did not appear in any way distracted on his return to the side. He used the ball well and also made some important defensive contributions.

Lucas Torreira - 8

A performance which raises serious questions of Unai Emery's insistence on using him in an attacking midfield role. The Uruguayan was excellent at the base of midfield, snuffing out United attacks and soldiering on bravely after taking a knock in the closing stages.

Nicolas Pepe - 8

Could this performance prove to be a turning point for Arsenal's record signing? Pepe took his goal superbly, controlling Kolasinac's deflected cut-back and lashing his finish past David de Gea, and had plenty of other eye-catching moments before being withdrawn in the second half.

Mesut Özil - 8

The German looks a player transformed under Arteta. He did not excel in a creative sense - only fashioning one scoring opportunity over the course of the 90 minutes - but his new boss will be delighted by his work-rate. Özil covered more ground than any other Arsenal player. Only Aubameyang made more high-intensity sprints.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - 7

A rare game without a goal for the Arsenal captain, but, like Özil, he worked tirelessly for the team, helping Arsenal press from the front and also stretching United's defence with his pace from Arsenal's left flank.

Alexandre Lacazette - 7

Received a standing ovation when replaced by Matteo Guendouzi in the closing stages. The striker spurned a couple of half-chances and is still lacking a little cutting edge in and around the box, but he showed plenty of endeavour, repeatedly winning back possession high up the pitch.

Substitutes

Reiss Nelson - 6

Came on for Pepe midway through the second half. His pace caused some problems for United but he had some sloppy moments too.
Bukayo Saka - 7
Slotted in well at left-back, making one excellent challenge on Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the closing stages.
Matteo Guendouzi - 6
Thrown on in place of Lacazette but had little time to influence the game.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was disappointing to see a few waves of fans leaving early. I get that’s late and can really save on the journey. But stay and support a team that’s been low on confidence, celebrate a great win with them.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
GiftedForsakenAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

This one's for Evra

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-and-babies-following-sheffield-united-defeat

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
As you've said it's one game but I generally have a lot of problems with the distance covered stat.

What impressed me about Özil's performance and what he's been lacking is intensity and purpose in the way he engages opponents without the ball not this narrative about the amount of running he does.

He actually pressed the United defenders with intent and the reaction from the fans was in recognition of that. It should be a minimum standard though and if anything it proves he can and should be doing more.

Atleast he showed he capable of playing that way. Hope to see it again!

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

What a deluded idiot. Complaining about lack of recruitment and investments. United's been ****ing splashing cash left right and center past couple of years.

Investment?

Jose spent what, £400 million on his fecking own?

One things for sure - this guy should stop investing in pies; what a bloater.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
What a deluded idiot. Complaining about lack of recruitment and investments. United's been ****ing splashing cash left right and center past couple of years.
They have the 2nd most valuable squad in the league but when you talk to any of their fans or go to their forum they'll convince you that they haven't bought anyone in the last five years

Reactions: CJJ

sykesy69

Was disappointing to see a few waves of fans leaving early. I get that’s late and can really save on the journey. But stay and support a team that’s been low on confidence, celebrate a great win with them.
There's a lot of people that literally can't get home if they stay past the end of an evening game.

I hear you, but sympathise at the same time...

say yes

forum master baiter
Don't want to stick the boot in too much but Emery could legit end up going down as one of our worst ever managers.
If that’s true then it just underlines what a fantastic history we’ve had.

Clearly didn’t work out for him here, and he deserved to be sacked, but up until April last year there was still a lot to be positive about.

Even amid all the doom and gloom it’s worth remembering that he improved our points tally in the league (which included our best return against the big sides in absolute years), got us to a European final, gave a lot of opportunities to youth and stayed classy throughout. Recruitment was good too, although that’s more of a collective responsibility now.

Was never my choice of manager (and I was gutted when we appointed him over Arteta back then), but I don’t think it’s completely fair to treat him like he was a disaster. Disappointing, yes. But new managers are always a risk and you only need to look around at some of the appointments elsewhere to see how much worse it could have gone. 4/10 job for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom