• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Middlesbrough | 22/08/04

lewdikris

Established Member
That won't happen. It's 4 our of 5 from Dennis, Thierry, Jose, Bobby and Freddie, let alone Robin and Jermaine. We have serious options, and whichever Wenger plays, I have confidence we'll win.

And that's ****ing great.

efurze

GoonerGurjit said:
Cygan does tend to get bullied by the more physical players.

I wouldn't say he got bullied as much as he just gets beat by faster players. Hasselbaink creates a serious mismatch problem with Cygan in the team, hopefully Uncle Fester can keep it together on Sunday.

Dennis will likely start as he's just about the only Arsenal player not to have had international duty this week. Not a chance it'll be at RM though - only time he played there last year was the last 20 min away at birmingham when the squad was thin from injury. Definitely not the best man for that position.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
KingReyes said:
I think this discussion really shows what a quality squad we have. Last season the first 16 let alone the first 11 was easily predicatable whereas at the moment this season the only players most likely to start would be the back 4 and GK. And we've still got Vieira and Sol to come back!!
I like this but the thing is how will RvP ever get his debut with the team in this sort of form.

Mark

Established Member
Bergkamp will not be dropped. He will perhaps be rested in the Blackburn game which is only a few days after this one which is too much for him at this age. By that time Vieira should be back from inury to captain the side.

For this game, Pires will start and Freddie will be on the bench. Bergy upfront with Henry and Reyes on the left. Then for the Blackburn game, Freddie will start, Bergkamp on the bench and Reyes moved upfront with Henry with Pires playing on the left.

It makes the most sense, I think.

Adam

Established Member
I fancy Reyes to be rested for this one. Bergkamp is Wengers preferred choice at Highbury, and dropping Pires would send a negative message out to him when he is in good form. As part of the rotation - i am 90 percent certain Reyes will be on the bench.

And what a great player to come on after 60 or 70...

quattro

reyes is pure energy. i think he can come out 70 mins into the game all pistons running and play like he's been on the pitch from the start. i'd like him to start though... score early against the team where he got that humiliating debut own goal.

gunner01

Personally I think Wenger should leave Titi on the bench.

I think the starting should be...

Lauren Toure Cygan Cole

Ljungberg Gilberto Cesc Pires

Bergkamp Reyes

I think Henry should come on early in the 2nd half in place of Bergkamp or Reyes depending how they play.

lewdikris

Established Member
I'm also pretty sure Wenger will want to give Van Persie his debut this weekend ... so, frankly, we're just going to have to play 6 attacking players, and forget the defence. Go back to the 30s with a 2-3-5 formation and we'll be well in!

Or maybe not.

KingReyes

Established Member
lewdikris said:
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?article=220782

It may well be the same team that started last week. Maybe Bobby for Dennis or Freddie.

Maybe play 4-3-3, which with Reyes at left wing is what we play anyways.

The guy on Sky said we were playing like we had a 4-4-3 last Sunday - maybe we should just do it?

Wenger plays a 4-4-2 system but seriously when was the last time we saw Arsenal stick to it. Arsenal's game is all about movement, positioning etc. Pires can be on the left at a time, suddenly seen on the right and then bursting through midfield for one of his runs. The same can be said for Freddy on the right, hence the reason Pennant was played in every position in pre season to ensure he can do the same when he plays. The support the front 2 get from our wingers is strong hence the reason Pires got 19 goals last season.

So to your suggestion that we should just do 4-3-3, I think we are. Eventhough Wenger's team sheet indicates 4-4-2.

lewdikris

Established Member
Call it 4-4-2 - it's much more 4-2-4 really.

Ah **** it, whichever of the four get to play, we;ll still win.

The record's coming!

Gurgen

Established Member
Jose_Reyes_2004 said:
Thats unlikely but i do recall seeing dennis playing on the right for us - i cant remember what game that was though.

That game was the second half of the FA Cup Semi vs. Manure.
Btw Dennis started his career as a right winger.

wiltord11

i think we should use bergkamp and henry and reyes in the same team on away games cause i think it works well for counter attacking cause we have alot of pace and at home games rotate bergkamp and reyes

patrick42uk

Established Member
gilberto might be out, cesc and falmini in the center looks a possibility.

cant see pires playing on the right. not only is he ineffective there, it sends a bad message out to ljungberg (who played well against everto) and pennant who would feel he deserves the chance if ljungberg does not play.

Arnie

We must play our best team in this match, because boro are no suckers. This is the most nervous i've been before a match. Probably because of the record!! :(

Soler

Established Member
lewdikris said:
I'm also pretty sure Wenger will want to give Van Persie his debut this weekend ... so, frankly, we're just going to have to play 6 attacking players, and forget the defence. Go back to the 30s with a 2-3-5 formation and we'll be well in!

Or maybe not.

I'm watching the first half an hour of "The Arsenal Stadium Mystery" now :D

Soler

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
gilberto might be out, cesc and falmini in the center looks a possibility.

Arsène said in the standard that Gilberto would play, he only had a back spasm or something minor to that effect.

nnaife

Cesc and Flamini mmmm thats dodgy given that Boro's midfield is very experienced.

Flamini hasn't exactly found his feet yet and this game is very important to Arsenal given the Forset record thing.

I can see why wenger is fuming at Brazil's lack of understanding.
Boro are going to be very tough opponents its games like this that require the dominiance of vieira.

Ridge

Gilberto might be too tired to play. Flamini and Cesc in the middle isnt good enough to play against Boateng and Parlour. Here's my formation.

Jens
Lauren Kolo Cygan Cole
Freddie Cesc Pires Reyes
Henry Bergkamp

Top Bottom