• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Middlesbrough | 22/08/04

patrick42uk

Established Member
Legend#1 said:
I can't believe Reyes is on the bench

That's pathetic... :x

sorry but form or no form, pires is better than reyes. pires deserves the respect he commands considering he got he has almost 40 goals over the past 3 seasons from midfield. reyes' time will come, but for the game tomorrow, wenger needs as close to his best 11 as possible.

arghhhh

i think we will play like last time , play Reyes on 1st half and then sub Pires into the match on 2nd half , the boro defender would run like hell to defend

my prediction

Arsenal 3 - Boro 1

Arsenal goals - Bergkamp , Cesc , pires

Boro goal - Parlour

arghhhh

patrick42uk said:
Legend#1 said:

sorry but form or no form, pires is better than reyes. pires deserves the respect he commands considering he got he has almost 40 goals over the past 3 seasons from midfield. reyes' time will come, but for the game tomorrow, wenger needs as close to his best 11 as possible.

they are both on fire now , but i still believe that wenger will start reyes instead of pires

kel varnsen

Established Member
Sol said:
Flamini and Cesc in the centre fills me with no confidence what so ever. This is bad news if Gilberto cant play - is anything certain about this?

Reyes to start on the bench btw.

reyes will start; no doubt about it.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
how in the hell do you know who is starting and playing? the team sheet hasnt been announced yet... that wont happen til tomorow at the earliest...

we will win.. especially on the day we receive our unbeaten trophy... do you think we'll want to lost the "streak" after an acknowledgement like that by the league? no way

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Reyes has been easily Arsenal's best player over the pre-season and opening 2 games. MOTM CS, MOTM x 2 amsterdam, and iirc he was MOTM in another pre-season game also.

which do you want, the 11 that has earned the most respect or the 11 that is playing the best? If it's the latter, you can't leave Reyes out.

A

Anonymous

Legend#1 said:

I should have written in my opinion after saying Reyes was on the bench I guess.

Whilst Dennis is on top form he has to play, Henry is number one obviously and that leaves Pires or Reyes.

Reyes is the man on form but Pires is one of our major players and his goals from midfield means he has to play aswell, not to mention he needs games to get fitness.

Reyes coming on with 30 minutes left he could do some major damage. He will get regualr starts when Dennis needs a rest and his form dips which will happen.

patrick42uk

Established Member
kaids said:
patrick42uk said:
Reyes has been easily Arsenal's best player over the pre-season and opening 2 games. MOTM CS, MOTM x 2 amsterdam, and iirc he was MOTM in another pre-season game also.

which do you want, the 11 that has earned the most respect or the 11 that is playing the best? If it's the latter, you can't leave Reyes out.

actually, i'd prefer the tried and tested. the player that has experience of games like this and has proven time and time again he can impose himself on it.

patrick42uk

Established Member
at the end of the day, pires is our first choice left midfielder. reyes is only there because pires wasnt fully fit. reyes is seen primarily as a striker, and the man he will have to displace (if pires is fit) is bergkamp. i dont see that happening because bergkamp is on good form, and is captain. as the season progresses, reyes will have the chance to prove his start is no fluke. if he proves that by maintaing his form when called upon, he should feel entitlted to displace one of the more established players. inevitably, he will become henry's first choice partner because bergkamp at his age will need breaks and will find it difficult to maintain form.

we must have it really good nowadays if some are entertaining the idea of dropping our second best player.

johe

Well, like patrick said, without Vieira in the squad, I feel we will need both Pires and Bergkamp for the extra experience. I would so much like Reyes to start, but with our captain gone, and our most senior center back, we really need to have players like Pires, Bergkamp, Freddie, Gilberto if fit, Cygan etc. Players with experience who have done it before.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Well, Thierry should be dropped for Sunday's game. Can we win it with Jose up front? Of course we can, he is playing better then Thierry and so if anyone should be dropped, it is not the little spaniard

ethanen

OneteaminLondon said:
Well, Thierry should be dropped for Sunday's game. Can we win it with Jose up front? Of course we can, he is playing better then Thierry and so if anyone should be dropped, it is not the little spaniard
agreed

Mark

Established Member
Henry won't be dropped. Once he gets some match fitness he will be back to his old self, but he needs to play to get match fitness. There is no way he will be dropped unless he picks up an injury bad enough to prevent him playing. As much as I hate to say it, it is very likely Reyes will be dropped for this game. Then start the Blackburn game.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Henry wont be dropped - no way.

Pires has to start to gain match fitness.
Henry has to start because he's henry.
Bergkamp has to start because he's captain.
Reyes has to start because he's on fire.

But only 3 of them can start - right now it looks like its a battle between jose and dennis.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
at the end of the day, pires is our first choice left midfielder. reyes is only there because pires wasnt fully fit. reyes is seen primarily as a striker, and the man he will have to displace (if pires is fit) is bergkamp. i dont see that happening because bergkamp is on good form, and is captain. as the season progresses, reyes will have the chance to prove his start is no fluke. if he proves that by maintaing his form when called upon, he should feel entitlted to displace one of the more established players. inevitably, he will become henry's first choice partner because bergkamp at his age will need breaks and will find it difficult to maintain form.

we must have it really good nowadays if some are entertaining the idea of dropping our second best player.

Even though I do kinda agree with you and definitely see where you are coming from it would be hard for Wenger to justify dropping a player in such great form. I'm a strong believer of the fact that players must be played going by their form, last season Edu was in great form for a while so we couldn't drop him, could say not playing Gilberto cost us the treble but Edu did a lot while he was playing to win us matches as well. It would be very unfair to drop Reyes right now, could Pires come in and make as big impact when he is probably abit rusty? Ahh well, we will let Wenger decides. He will do whats best for the team.

It is clear Reyes is able to make an impact from the wing and helps out in defense so what about him on the right for Freddie?

And like you said shows how much our squad seems to have improved if we are sitting here discussing who to drop out of those 2, both players who possibly would walk into most other sides :)

Henry's Girl

OneteaminLondon said:
what :shock:
not 100% fit yet and had a good game against everton, set up 2 goals.
He's crap b'cos he didnt score?

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
what :shock:
not 100% fit yet and had a good game against everton, set up 2 goals.
He's crap b'cos he didnt score?

Exactly - most strikers have a bad game if they dont score but Henry is the sort of striker that can be man of the match without even scoring a goal.

He's class - the words 'dropped' and 'henry' should not be used in the same sentence.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom