• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Sheffield United | Saturday 18th January | KO: 15:00pm

Result?

• Arsenal Win

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Sheffield United Win

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I’ve been surprised how well Sheffield Utd have kept up their off the ball movement and pressing systems.

I thought they’d fade away a little but they seem to have gone from strength to strength. Been in every game they’ve played this year, City away was possibly the only time they’ve been hammered.

I remember you waxing lyrical about Chris Wilder before the season had even started. During the season you also talked enthusiastically about him whenever his name came up.

Before this season I never even heard of him but having seen his team play in the PL this season I can finally understand what you were talking about. I have been so impressed with his team. The way they defend, the organisation but also how they attack. It really is impressive. All of that with basically a championship team. If Sheffield Utd keep this up and Klopp doesn't go the season unbeaten, Wilder imo deserves to pick up the manager of the year award.

ptrcopp

Very impressed with Sheffield United too, deserve to be where they are.

Kinda annoyed that these days football seems to be all about “pressing”, “work rate” and “running” though...any useless **** can do these, I want to see things on the pitch I can’t do.

Who cares about all these useless forms of basically exercising...football should be about the artistry, the technique...the mavericks that get you out of your chair...

tenor.gif

I think theres many reasons we’re seeing a lot of pressing. First, even in the past 10 years, there has been a massive increase in the fitness of the players. Second, there has been a decline in the technical ability and strength of the midfielder.

Overall though I think there has been a shift from the technical to the tactical. Players look more aware of where they should be, particularly when certain scenarios play out on the pitch.

The old adage that it’s a team game is more apt now than ever before. I love watching the tactical set-up: watching fullbacks invert into the midfield in the case of City or Liverpool’s wide CMs overlap the full back on The touch line. Or when Azpilicueta used to augment the midfield under Conte. That’s artistry. It just comes from the manager.

You’ll get less mavericks because the players have to express themselves in a defined system. But the skill is still there. Think De Bruyne’s assist to Jesus. Or Ferminho’s touch to set him up to smash it past the keeper.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think theres many reasons we’re seeing a lot of pressing. First, even in the past 10 years, there has been a massive increase in the fitness of the players. Second, there has been a decline in the technical ability and strength of the midfielder.

Overall though I think there has been a shift from the technical to the tactical. Players look more aware of where they should be, particularly when certain scenarios play out on the pitch.

The old adage that it’s a team game is more apt now than ever before. I love watching the tactical set-up: watching fullbacks invert into the midfield in the case of City or Liverpool’s wide CMs overlap the full back on The touch line. Or when Azpilicueta used to augment the midfield under Conte. That’s artistry. It just comes from the manager.

You’ll get less mavericks because the players have to express themselves in a defined system. But the skill is still there. Think De Bruyne’s assist to Jesus. Or Ferminho’s touch to set him up to smash it past the keeper.

Pressing football can be amazing admittedly, watching Klopps team just steamroll over opponents is very impressive tbf...just prefer Wengerball style football, probably because that was the style I most enjoyed watching.

Also, was watching Eastbound and Down again, and wanted to get a Kenny Powers gif in somewhere ;)

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
TEAM NEWS

Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang begins a three-match suspension on Saturday.

Sead Kolasinac and Lucas Torreira have been unable to train properly because of minor injuries and they will both be assessed.

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has reported no fresh fitness concerns ahead of the match.

Reserve goalkeepers Michael Verrips and Simon Moore could be available after injuries.

Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta on Sheffield United: "I've been very impressed. Everything they do has a real sense, they are really difficult to break down. "The solidarity in their team is incredible, how hard they work for each other and they have very clear principles - in attack and in defence
"So it will be a very difficult test. I already warned the players
today."

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder on his side's season: "It's an outstanding news story so far and I'd love for it to be a brilliant story come the end of the season. "A newly-promoted team coming up, playing the way we've played and the position we are in and how we have done it over the last two or three years as well and from a financial point of view too.
"We've done fantastically well, there's no doubt about that. But it's only this stage of the season... there's still a lot of football
to be played."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Sheffield United are winless in 16 away matches against Arsenal in all competitions since earning a 1-0 top-flight victory in August 1971 (D4, L12).

The most recent Premier League meeting between the sides at the Emirates Stadium ended in a 3-0 win for the Gunners in September 2006.

Sheffield United are vying for their first league double over Arsenal since the 1946-47 season.

The Blades could become the first newly-promoted team
in 27 years to complete a league double over Arsenal.

Arsenal
Arsenal earned a first home league victory in seven attempts at the expense of Manchester United on New Year's Day.

The Gunners have only won two of their past 14 league games (D7, L5).

Arsenal's tally of 28 points is their joint-lowest after 22 games of a Premier League season, along with 1994-95.

They have won just one of 11 matches against other clubs currently in the top half of the table (D5, L5).

Arsenal have failed to win five Premier League matches when leading at half-time this season; they have never done so in six matches in a single season in the division.
However, they are unbeaten in 21 Premier League fixtures to kick-off at at 3pm on a Saturday since losing at West Brom in November 2015 (W18, D3).

Sheffield United

The Blades, who were unbeaten in their first nine away league games this season, have lost successive away
fixtures. They are winless in 18 top-flight games in London since beating Chelsea in October 1992 (D7, L11).

Sheffield United's tally of 32 points is the highest by a promoted team after 22 matches of a Premier League season since Birmingham City had 33 points at this stage of 2009-10.

No side has had fewer shots on target in the Premier League than Sheffield United's 71 this season.

However, they have kept an unsurpassed eight clean sheets in the division, along with Liverpool and Leicester.

Chris Wilder played in Sheffield United's top-flight defeats against Arsenal at Highbury in December 1990 and September 1991.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I remember you waxing lyrical about Chris Wilder before the season had even started. During the season you also talked enthusiastically about him whenever his name came up.

Before this season I never even heard of him but having seen his team play in the PL this season I can finally understand what you were talking about. I have been so impressed with his team. The way they defend, the organisation but also how they attack. It really is impressive. All of that with basically a championship team. If Sheffield Utd keep this up and Klopp doesn't go the season unbeaten, Wilder imo deserves to pick up the manager of the year award.
The mystery to me is, how has this bloke who looks like he spends his weekends playing on fruities suddenly emerged as this super-contemporary coach filled with fresh, brilliant ideas? He's not even close to being young FFS.

CJJ

Established Member
For some reason i feel like we're gonna keep a clean sheet and likely won't be able to score either.
0-0 is what my head says. My heart says 3-0.

GoonerJay24

I don't like it too much, but obviously each manager has their own philosophy and approach

Personally feel players should be given the freedom to express their technique

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I saw Tierney running in training.

Please, any update on him, guys?

Vantastico

What a great player.Really shame about that injury and runied career at Arsenal.We should won EPL that season.
Agreed 100%. That late season meltdown really hurt as a Gooner. It felt like we had a truly talented side with all the potential in the world, just riddled with injuries... Teams were ****housing us and the refs wanted Lucky United to win the league that year it seemed like.

And the selection of jerseys we wore that season are probably in my top 3 favorite kits ever. Especially the white away-ones in that video. Reminds me of Walcott's run vs. Liverpool, and of Emmanuel Adebayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom