• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs West Ham United | August 25th | KO: 15:00 BST

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He is our best playmaker still, don't know what you're on about. Does the things you mentioned better than any of our players at the 10 spot. And we'd certainly have better/more opportunities with him on the pitch today, IMO.

Ramsey did well today, but I can't say I'm happy with his passing, he was never a master at that department. If he improves that area, I'd be delighted with him in the middle.

The best chances are created through turnovers in possession when the opposition aren't set defensively and use of runners in behind full backs where the space is. Liverpool's attacking threat and defensive security increased after they sold Coutinho and replaced him with an aggressive CM. Playmakers like Özil are a luxury not a necessity.

This is why we need a third midfielder instead of a 10 and a proper winger. It will make us more secure defensively and give us more passing options in the half spaces as we transition forwards.

We cannot afford to give away a starting spot to someone for the sake of solely threading through balls and playing one twos.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Kinda feel just getting the win was important today. Yes for large periods West Ham were running the game but after the 2nd we seemed to step up a gear.

I think we look better with Torreira on the field, either Xhaka or Guendouzi gotta be dropped for Cardiff.

Btw **** Cardiff

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
The best chances are created through turnovers in possession when the opposition aren't set defensively and use of runners in behind full backs where the space is. Liverpool's attacking threat and defensive security increased after they sold Coutinho and replaced him with an aggressive CM. Playmakers like Özil are a luxury not a necessity.

This is why we need a third midfielder instead of a 10 and a proper winger. It will make us more secure defensively and give us more passing options in the half spaces as we transition forwards.

We cannot afford to give away a starting spot to someone for the sake of solely threading through balls and playing one twos.

I couldn't agree more with this post!

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
3 points badly needed. The performance was much the same (not good enough), but hopefully this can get the ball rolling. Serious work needed on that defence which looks just as bad as ever. We're in transition so early in the season I'm just looking for results and some form of progress week to week.

We have a nice run of fixtures so hopefully we can wrack up points, but honestly with today's performance we'll struggle to win even away at Cardiff and Newcastle.

Goonerozil33

This game showed why Xhaka and Guendozi should not start together. Both of them occupy the same space. When one goes back to receive the ball the other is higher up where they are not comfortable. What happened was a mess due to both players periodically being out of position. The other aspect was Ramsey being high up the pitch without having a pivot to play off. Ramsey and Özil need a pivot to play with which means Lafayette should always start. These are issues with balance and need to be sorted out quickly

OSBK

Established Member
Was at the game, good atmosphere I thought.

Overall we were poor, ghendouzi our standout performer. For a kid that's just playing top flight football he is putting a lot of people to shame.

Xhaka was so poor, a real lack of movement and a top cam doesn't help him. Once Torreira settles then xhaka will be gone. Ramsey was all over the place in a bad way, he doesn't have enough quality to be a 10. He also has no interest in tracking back, Özil gets hammered and this guy was walking back. Defense was a joke, our fullbacks playing so high and west ham just ran into their space. Our cb's so exposed by no cover from full backs and midfield. Sokratis bringing the balls out was impressive, guy can move through the gears. Mustafi all over the place, he tries to do everyone job and forgets to do his own. Bellerin and monreal going forward great, looked weak and poorly positioned on Defense.

Up top, pea worked hard but you can see he is still adjusting to the physical side. Mhky didn't have his best game but played some unreal through balls. Iwobi, I praised the guy against Chelsea as he was getting into positions and asking questions. He bottled it every time he had a chance to take a man on.

Subs- laca- again changed our attack for the better. He has to start next game, he is more physical than pea and the link up play looked good. Torreira- can tell he is adjusting to the pace of the game. Quality quality when in position under no pressure, just needs to get up to speed. Welbeck- scored but pretty sure he was aiming for the other corner.

Overall I don't see any improvement so far over Wenger. This will be a hard season and we have to get behind emery. I think he will make major changes in the team over the next few transfer windows. I believe we can finish top 6, if we can beat the teams outside of the big clubs we have a chance.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Only watched the second half, wasn't impressed. Glad we got three points, there is still a lot of work to do.

But just like our next game against Cardiff, 3 points is the most important thing. That way Emery can keep working on his tactics while the fans won't be too angry.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Jesus, look how high Bellerin is. Guendouzi and Xhaka were fighting over the same space.

It’ll take a while for Emery to get this team balanced.

The thing is. It isn't that hard to get it balanced. Ramsey, Xhaka and Guendouzi do not offer enough recovery if we want to play that high.

We need Torreira sitting in front of the back four, we need pace in midfield like AMN and then a choice between Ramsey/Guendouzi and Xhaka. Özil and Miki fight for the right hand side and Auba on the left.

Auba---------------------Laca------------------Miki/Özil

---------Xhaka/Ramsey/Guen-------AMN

-------------------------Torreira

It's not about names, its about their attributes. IF AMN were fit and Torreira was playing, the majority of those counters are snuffed out by Torreira's positioning and AMN pace. The lack of balance is astounding at the moment.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Was at the game, good atmosphere I thought.

Overall we were poor, ghendouzi our standout performer. For a kid that's just playing top flight football he is putting a lot of people to shame.

Xhaka was so poor, a real lack of movement and a top cam doesn't help him. Once Torreira settles then xhaka will be gone. Ramsey was all over the place in a bad way, he doesn't have enough quality to be a 10. He also has no interest in tracking back, Özil gets hammered and this guy was walking back. Defense was a joke, our fullbacks playing so high and west ham just ran into their space. Our cb's so exposed by no cover from full backs and midfield. Sokratis bringing the balls out was impressive, guy can move through the gears. Mustafi all over the place, he tries to do everyone job and forgets to do his own. Bellerin and monreal going forward great, looked weak and poorly positioned on Defense.

Up top, pea worked hard but you can see he is still adjusting to the physical side. Mhky didn't have his best game but played some unreal through balls. Iwobi, I praised the guy against Chelsea as he was getting into positions and asking questions. He bottled it every time he had a chance to take a man on.

Subs- laca- again changed our attack for the better. He has to start next game, he is more physical than pea and the link up play looked good. Torreira- can tell he is adjusting to the pace of the game. Quality quality when in position under no pressure, just needs to get up to speed. Welbeck- scored but pretty sure he was aiming for the other corner.

Overall I don't see any improvement so far over Wenger. This will be a hard season and we have to get behind emery. I think he will make major changes in the team over the next few transfer windows. I believe we can finish top 6, if we can beat the teams outside of the big clubs we have a chance.

You thought the atmosphere was good? Watching on telly I was disappointed with it. Looked like the crowd were very nervy and getting on the players' backs too much. I was kinda hoping for more unconditional optimism and support from the crowd, especially this early in the new era.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Jesus, look how high Bellerin is. Guendouzi and Xhaka were fighting over the same space.

It’ll take a while for Emery to get this team balanced.

Quite obviously Bellerin was instructed to attack so much. Nothing to "balance" on that front. Our midfield needs fixing though, I'll give you that.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

What is the case with Özil? I saw the press conference a few hours back & saw that Emery said he was sick which I do believe but does anyone have any inside info on that not being the case or is that 100% true?

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
What is the case with Özil? I saw the press conference a few hours back & saw that Emery said he was sick which I do believe but does anyone have any inside info on that not being the case or is that 100% true?
Rumours doing the rounds that there was a bust up between Emery and Özil. I personally don't think he was sick.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Rumours doing the rounds that there was a bust up between Emery and Özil. I personally don't think he was sick.
I also saw the rumours about a training ground bust up between the 2 after being told he was dropped but its tough to see which one is right considering he was at the ground during the game.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

inda feel just getting the win was important today. Yes for large periods West Ham were running the game but after the 2nd we seemed to step up a gear.

I think we look better with Torreira on the field, either Xhaka or Guendouzi gotta be dropped for Cardiff.

I agree - I think Torreira needs to start from here on in.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

3 points badly needed. The performance was much the same (not good enough), but hopefully this can get the ball rolling. Serious work needed on that defence which looks just as bad as ever. We're in transition so early in the season I'm just looking for results and some form of progress week to week.

We have a nice run of fixtures so hopefully we can wrack up points, but honestly with today's performance we'll struggle to win even away at Cardiff and Newcastle.

It's funny I almost feel worse than last week - while we lost to the Chavs we actually bossed them for a decent chunk of the game and could have been beyond sight had our forwards been able to finish the simplest of chances.

I feel like we went backwards yesterday, we barely played it out from the back, I can't remember any form of a coherent press and defensively we were just a shambles. I guess some of that is perhaps having my expectations set just a little too high given the good periods we had against City and Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom