• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs West Ham United | Saturday, September 19 | KO: 20:00 BST | Sky Sports

Match prediction

• Arsenal win

Votes: 83 93.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • West Ham win

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When did Auba last play in the middle? Arteta wants either a target man holding the ball up or a pressing forward to capitalise on mistakes in the middle.

Laca and Eddie aren’t target men either. They can’t hold off challenges. Auba is better physically, fitter and presses better than both. He’s the best finisher in the league and should be pushing 40 goals not 25.

He’s also excellent at converting crosses from either side, which Willian, Saka and Pepe can supply to a consistently high level.

auba_shot_position_comparison_adj.png

He had 30% more shots through the middle, scored just as many goals and had better quality chances.

This was before having wingers with Saka and Willian’s composure and creativity.

Manberg

Predator
Laca and Eddie aren’t target men either. They can’t hold off challenges. Auba is better physically, fitter and presses better than both. He’s the best finisher in the league and should be pushing 40 goals not 25.

He’s also excellent at converting crosses from either side, which Willian, Saka and Pepe can supply to a consistently high level.

auba_shot_position_comparison_adj.png

He had 30% more shots through the middle, scored just as many goals and had better quality chances.

This was before having wingers with Saka and Willian’s composure and creativity.

Lacazette drops deep to drag defenders out of position. I should’ve said a false 9 rather than a target man. Nketiah plays as a pressing forward who does the pressing bit well and forces mistakes, Auba can do that too. But Auba cuts inside from the left. He is also more able to get support from overlapping and underlapping wingbacks on the left such as through AMN and Tierney. If he plays in the middle he will be more isolated.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Lacazette drops deep to drag defenders out of position. I should’ve said a false 9 rather than a target man. Nketiah plays as a pressing forward who does the pressing bit well and forces mistakes, Auba can do that too. But Auba cuts inside from the left. He is also more able to get support from overlapping and underlapping wingbacks on the left such as through AMN and Tierney. If he plays in the middle he will be more isolated.

For what it’s worth I agree entirely with your assessment of the way each of Auba, Laca and Eddie play. My only point is that Laca, for example, has had to drop deep due to a lack of creativity in our midfield and forward line.

With two creative wingers, like Willian and Saka/Pepe on the pitch and, say Ceballos or Aouar, our striker wouldn’t have to play that way. Auba wouldn’t be isolated.

Our current set up is still more geared towards masking our past weaknesses than exploiting our current strengths. Which I’m cool with against teams like Liverpool and City, but it shouldn’t be a permanent solution if title challenging is the aim.

Not a whinge, just an observation.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Not a hope, Willian is the 2nd man on the sheet after Auba

Thats a bit early and without any evidence to support that.

Right now the following players are guaranteed starters under Arteta based on his lineup choices.

- Leno
- Auba
- Xhaka
- Tierney

Other than those we have shuffled plenty around. Luiz would also be in there, but I left him out on account of his injury. No idea how we set up when he gets back.

Manberg

Predator
I doubt El Neny's getting dropped. Arteta's serious when he says he rewards hard work and good performances. Will Ceballos be patient?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think this was the game that helped us secure Champions League this season (good omen for what this season could end with perhaps...) love the way Marc takes his goal, leaves the West Ham player on the ground, then a lovely near post finish...

...also RIP Foe, was a quality player.

Last edited:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The only danger here is complacency. Even playing below our best we should be looking for another 3-0 here at least.

I have been saying for yonks that Auba is our best finisher and should be playing down the middle in most games. Put Lacazette and Nketiah down the middle and the two of them put together won't get anywhere near Auba's total on his own.

I appreciate the selfless work Laca does, especially against stronger teams; but against teams we expect to dominate, and with two from Pepe, Willian, Saka (and maybe even Özil....) to choose from behind him, Auba should be feasting and looking for Wrighty-like performances - not having to rely on spectacular assists, chest control and magnificent shots to score goals. Add the tap-ins and poached goals and he will push 40 goals.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
When did Auba last play in the middle? Arteta wants either a target man holding the ball up or a pressing forward to capitalise on mistakes in the middle.

Completely missing the point.

Arteta uses that right now because he doesnt have the midfield he wants. In a 343 we have to use Auba on the left.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Thought about that actually after seeing Lacazette ruin 3-4 good chances due to zero pace.

Would have to change his game, though he seemingly played there against Pool away last season where he looked kinda dope.
I think he would be devastating if he was to adapt to the role. He's so unpredictable with the ball he could give defenders a nightmare taking them on in the penalty area.

He's bad at playing the right side of the midfield role. He needs to be closer to the goal and closer to the middle than what we saw for most of last season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If Pepe got into the positions Laca was in he would've had an assist and a goal.

The *problem* with Pepe is that he's essentially a more explosive version of Özil. He's going to have to adapt and work very hard if he's going to get back into Arteta's side.

I would try him up top.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Pepe up top could be amazing, feels something Arsène would try more than Arteta though, even with the small sample size we have with Mikel...hope Arteta proves me wrong though.

With the way Arteta want us to play, Willian is the prefect balance to Auba on the other side atm...it's difficult to fit so many flair players into one team, with a manager who a likes to press like Mikel does.

Was confident in Pepe, but a little worried about him now if I'm honest...he is such an amazing player to watch, so I hope Arteta can figure out a way to use him.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I think short term plan this season you'll see Partey, Xhaka, Ceballos and Elneny rotating in the middle two spots. Partey and Xhaka will be the main starters (yes I'm confident Partey will be here)

For West ham id throw Pepe, Willian, Auba and Laca at them some how.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Hopefully Pepe can force himself back in because Willian is only here for 3 years. We need Pepe for the long run 100%.
Honestly don't think Willian will be a starter next season. The main reason he was brought in was to ease the pressure off Pepe for that right wing role, someone who would come in and hit the ground running immediately. That's why we signed 32 year old Willian and not another 26-27 year old. 1 season for Willian, Pepe gets more adaptation time, and then he would take over.

GoonerBoy19

I would keep same lineup as Fulham, only change would be to start Saka instead of AMN. Saka and Willian will add threat from either flanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom