• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Bournemouth vs Arsenal | Sunday 25th November | 13:30 GMT

Prediction

• Bournemouth win

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Arsenal win

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Best match thread in the history of Arsenal Mania

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrcopp

Didn't manage to catch the game because of the time it was on (kick off at 12:30am, gotta wake up for work at 5am), but had a quick read through the thread. Was Mkhitaryan as bad as everyone was making him out to be or was that just knee jerk at the time?

He was doing everything right until he got into the opposition box, but there is a frustration of him missing every final ball , missing good chances and shooting high and wide when there are clearly better options. He made some great forward runs, in good positions and was always involved in the game.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Didn't manage to catch the game because of the time it was on (kick off at 12:30am, gotta wake up for work at 5am), but had a quick read through the thread. Was Mkhitaryan as bad as everyone was making him out to be or was that just knee jerk at the time?
Mkhi was trying a lot of things but none came off, and he looked quite bad.

You could be right about the position thing. I get super frustrated with him when he's beaten for pace with opposition wingers and fullbacks!
Just maybe he could do better in the 10 where his lack of pace won't be exposed.
About that, he must have played in the 10 right?
he was a nominal winger yesterday.

Bournemouth were very good. doubt anyone else could have done anything different than what he tried. It was just not coming off.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Not sure if anyone said this but that was a superb finish for the own goal. Haven't seen one as good as that for years in an Arsenal game.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

When Auba made that break just after our 2nd goal off their corner & he got it to Mkhitaryan, he stuffed up a good opportunity there, thats when you should just shoot first time, don't muck around with the ball. Thats partly what we do too much, too much dribbling in the box, sometimes we just don't shoot.

Mkhi was trying a lot of things but none came off, and he looked quite bad.

he was a nominal winger yesterday.

Bournemouth were very good. doubt anyone else could have done anything different than what he tried. It was just not coming off.
Well that's been pretty much his highlight in the premier league at both United and us!

I am afraid he is just insufficient for a title challenging team which we should be next season. He could be a good option off the bench though!
I don't know if you feel me but at the position he plays, I want a type of player who is able to consistently change a game on his own and be a threat to opposition players even when not playing well.
Unless he gets back his BvB form sooner, am afraid he's not going to make the starting 11.

With our budget I presume it would be unrealistic to have these kind of players on the bench with the kind of money he earns so I guess it is inevitable we part ways!

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Unless a series of unlikely factors combine to create a "Leicester scenario" there is no way in which we will have a title challenging team next season.

Add £40 million of talent to our squad, promote a couple of youth players to the first team, deduct Ramsey and Welbeck, maybe Koscielny and you have what we have now - a team that will do well to win the much-derided 4th place trophy.

The teams above us will strengthen more than we will. And we're already behind them.

Unless a series of unlikely factors combine to create a "Leicester scenario" there is no way in which we will have a title challenging team next season.

Add £40 million of talent to our squad, promote a couple of youth players to the first team, deduct Ramsey and Welbeck, maybe Koscielny and you have what we have now - a team that will do well to win the much-derided 4th place trophy.

The teams above us will strengthen more than we will. And we're already behind them.
I feel if we just add an elite winger, improve the left back position and find the correct balance at the middle of the park and sort out our defence we could really go for it.
The key would be to be more of a threat going forward and lock up the defense. That I believe we could do especially if our youth players reach their potential and with Sven and co. working their magic!

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I feel if we just add an elite winger, improve the left back position and find the correct balance at the middle of the park and sort out our defence we could really go for it.
The key would be to be more of a threat going forward and lock up the defense. That I believe we could do especially if our youth players reach their potential and with Sven and co. working their magic!
I think that's a tad over-optimistic. But even with that fairly minimalistic view of what we lack an elite winger alone is beyond our budget.

That's why I mentioned a Leicester scenario where they quietly, maybe even inadvertently, assembled a decent first XI punching above their weight by getting players such as Mahrez and Kante and then got lucky with injuries. But they won the league because the teams which should have finished above them underperformed - some of them significantly so such as the Arsenal.

Even if the miracle happened it would last one season. Our financial model is unable to deliver an annual challenge for the league.

Mohamed7

Let's be realistic. This team is not ready to challenge the title in the next two seasons. So many positions need overhauls. We desperately need two wingers, not one, that would run riot on both flanks. We need ready-made players like Zaha. Then there's the CM position, we will need one proper world class CM in place of Xhaka. Add also a LB. Finally a CB in the mold of Koulabaly - Someone who can properly defend airel threats.
That's at least 300m spending and even then we would not have the squad of Liverpool let alone City. It took them many transfer windows and sugar dads with ambition to get there.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Let's be realistic. This team is not ready to challenge the title in the next two seasons. So many positions need overhauls. We desperately need two wingers, not one, that would run riot on both flanks. We need ready-made players like Zaha. Then there's the CM position, we will need one proper world class CM in place of Xhaka. Add also a LB. Finally a CB in the mold of Koulabaly - Someone who can properly defend airel threats.
That's at least 300m spending and even then we would not have the squad of Liverpool let alone City. It took them many transfer windows and sugar dads with ambition to get there.
I am sorry to say I agree with that except for one quibble. If we are not ready to challenge now and need £300 million spending, why should we be able to challenge in two years time when we won't have spent a third of that and will have lost at least Cech, Lichsteiner, Koscielny, Ramsey, Monreal, Elneny, Welbeck from the current squad.

Basically, we will not be able to challenge for the title until we have our own sugar daddy and not an Uncle Scrooge in charge.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think this is our issue. We are not gaining on the top teams much, if at all. Man City and Liverpool are well ahead of us. We might be able to catch Spuds and the Russian trash, but that is about it at best...

boyinneedofhumor

I think we're on a 17 unbeaten run.
Yes, I prefer we step up a couple of gears. No, I dont prefer losing.

If this was any of the past few seasons, some would say, only Arsenal could do an Arsenal.
The "Arsenal DNA" has only just begun its mutation from START OF THIS SEASON only...

andeoch1

Regardless of the unbeaten run, this time last year I believe we were in 5 place with just a few less points. Dropping points against the mid/ lower teams will haunt us at season end.....as usual.

Multipass

Regardless of the unbeaten run, this time last year I believe we were in 5 place with just a few less points. Dropping points against the mid/ lower teams will haunt us at season end.....as usual.

We may have been only two points worse off but we are five points closer to the leader than we were this time last year. We have only dropped four points to teams out of the top three this season, so Not sure about your last point.

I think that's a tad over-optimistic. But even with that fairly minimalistic view of what we lack an elite winger alone is beyond our budget.

That's why I mentioned a Leicester scenario where they quietly, maybe even inadvertently, assembled a decent first XI punching above their weight by getting players such as Mahrez and Kante and then got lucky with injuries. But they won the league because the teams which should have finished above them underperformed - some of them significantly so such as the Arsenal.

Even if the miracle happened it would last one season. Our financial model is unable to deliver an annual challenge for the league.
I like to give an example of BvB who despite having a squad that was like 2 times cheaper than Bayern's, they went ahead and lifted the Bundesliga title during Kloop's time due to finding potential world class players on the cheap who actually reached their potential and having an outstanding coach who enabled the players reach their potential.
I like to think that we could replicate the same with Emery and be able to recruit torreiraesq talent on the cheap cos that's our only way up. Basing on our past transactions, we are capable of spending say 50- 70 mil on one top class player which should be able to get us a Zaha type.

Assuming the some of Mavro, Holding, AMN, ESR, Nketiah, Reiss and even Osei-Tutu reach their potential, we could really have a good crop with us! Before you dismiss that, 3/4 of Pool's defence was virtually unknown like two years ago but look what they have turned up into!

I agree though that 1 year could be unrealistic in terms of mounting a serious challenge, but I believe that I see all the good signs of at least causing some surprises in the very near future.

I agree that there is sort of a huge gap between us and them but Pool had massively fallen from the team that it was in the 80s and City wasn't even near a big team.
Arsenal has regressed yes but we are still a big team that is expected to make the top 5 and delivers which means we won't have to put up the kind of investment that the two put up in order to become great again! Am sure at least 3 of our players would get starting berths at both City and Pool.
I have seen AMN play and I think if given minutes with the correct guidance and focus on the CM position, we could really have a gem in our hands and could end up displacing Xhaka.
If Reiss continues with the upward trajectory, we could end up just needing to buy just one winger.

That would leave us with the wing, LB and CB positions. Even though I think we can solve the CB situation internally with the likes of Mavro and Holding eventually taking over from Koscienly and Sokratis! Mustafi is a lost cause and I think we should cash in.
So say 70m for a winger and 30m ish for a proper LB and we could really improve!
Sales of Micki, Mustafi, Elneny and Ramsey, who i feel are very likely outbound could easily raise more than a half of that amount.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
We are only a big team when we act like a big team, not when we say we are a big team. What does "big" mean? We have a big stadium? We've won trophies? Queen's Park have a big stadium, are they a big team? Nottingham Forest have two European Cups in their trophy room, are they a big team? You are only as big as the team you put out on the pitch and, at the moment, using that yardstick there are several teams in England alone which are bigger than us.

Let's get real and accept what the problem is. The problem is not Monreal or Xhaka. It is Stanley Kroenke.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The next 2 games would show us how progress we made if we play like we preformed against Liverpool we'll beat Sp**s and manutd before Bournemouth game i was expecting 4 points from 9 now I'm expecting 7 from 9

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I like to give an example of BvB who despite having a squad that was like 2 times cheaper than Bayern's, they went ahead and lifted the Bundesliga title during Kloop's time due to finding potential world class players on the cheap who actually reached their potential and having an outstanding coach who enabled the players reach their potential.
I like to think that we could replicate the same with Emery and be able to recruit torreiraesq talent on the cheap cos that's our only way up. Basing on our past transactions, we are capable of spending say 50- 70 mil on one top class player which should be able to get us a Zaha type.

Assuming the some of Mavro, Holding, AMN, ESR, Nketiah, Reiss and even Osei-Tutu reach their potential, we could really have a good crop with us! Before you dismiss that, 3/4 of Pool's defence was virtually unknown like two years ago but look what they have turned up into!

I agree though that 1 year could be unrealistic in terms of mounting a serious challenge, but I believe that I see all the good signs of at least causing some surprises in the very near future.

I agree that there is sort of a huge gap between us and them but Pool had massively fallen from the team that it was in the 80s and City wasn't even near a big team.
Arsenal has regressed yes but we are still a big team that is expected to make the top 5 and delivers which means we won't have to put up the kind of investment that the two put up in order to become great again! Am sure at least 3 of our players would get starting berths at both City and Pool.
I have seen AMN play and I think if given minutes with the correct guidance and focus on the CM position, we could really have a gem in our hands and could end up displacing Xhaka.
If Reiss continues with the upward trajectory, we could end up just needing to buy just one winger.

That would leave us with the wing, LB and CB positions. Even though I think we can solve the CB situation internally with the likes of Mavro and Holding eventually taking over from Koscienly and Sokratis! Mustafi is a lost cause and I think we should cash in.
So say 70m for a winger and 30m ish for a proper LB and we could really improve!
Sales of Micki, Mustafi, Elneny and Ramsey, who i feel are very likely outbound could easily raise more than a half of that amount.
Arsenal haven’t regressed. We’re exactly where we should be.United have regressed and Sp**s, thanks to the acquisition of Harry Kane are performing above their station.

1-City Squad €976m
2-United €786m
3-Liverpool €705m
4-Chelsea €673m
5-Arsenal €428m
6-Sp**s €393m

Performing to your squad cost in the first season is really good, neither Mourinho, LVG or Klopp managed it. Emery is doing an excellent job. Let’s hope he can progress next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom