• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Chelsea vs Arsenal | 21/02/04

Jkreffer

Established Member
Stamford bridge, Cole and Gilberto are out and its unlikely that Freddie will be ready....
Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Clichy

Pires Vieira Edu Reyes

Bergkamp Henry

How does this sound?
Possibly the only way.
Cygan may be drafted in, but this is unlikely as Wenger doesn't like to change the defnece unless forced.

KingReyes

Established Member
Still a very strong lineup. Hope Edu impresses.
How are you so sure that Freddy will miss the game?

Jkreffer

Established Member
Just that Wenger has said it will be a couple of weeks to get his fitnes back, and so i gathered Wenger will be reluctent to play him. Maybe this isn't the case but im not sure. Anyhow its going to be the most important game of the season so heres hoping for a result.

Alexone234

Lets wait until the morning before writing off these guys.

I am pretty sure we'll be playing our full strength team.

Mark

Established Member
Gilberto is definetly out, while Henry, Campbell, Cole and Ljungberg might be out, but I don't really know anything. If all are out we have problems, this is the strongest team we can have with those absenties.

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Cygan Clichy

Pires Vieira Edu Reyes

Bergkamp Bentley

This is going to be tough...

GoonerLuke

Henry and Sol will be starting for sure. Cole will likely start and Freddie might be back. Gilberto is out.

Unless they absolutely cannot physically perform on the pitch, they will be playing. This game is huge and the players above are not going to miss it for a "bruised foot, strained groin, or tweaked back." They will be rested and treated and starting on Saturday.

kanuuu

Established Member
lauren toure campbell clichy

freddie Pat Edu Pires

Bergkamp Henry

Subs: stack cygan reyes cole kanu

A

Anonymous

gilberto out, good, edu is better. wenger wont mind changing defence if cole is not there either clichy is more than competant. maybe cygan in centre with toure left back, doubt it though, we will be stronger if we just put clichy left back !
ljungberg could easily be back, wenger wont want to give away team news to chelski, have to wait and see. no way in the world henry wont play. this is most important game this year, win it we are on our way, even if united beat us, which i doubt at home.

AlexH

ethanen said:
will Kanu be available? I'd prefer him than Bentley if Henrys out

Kanu is around, but while you can be bloody sure that TH14 will be playing, if he wasn't AW would not use Bentley up front! It would be Bergy and Reyes just like last week.

gooner

Chelsea V Arsenal

Well again no doubt the media will again make this the most talked about game of the weekend. The result could bring a lot of different conclusions from the media. If we lose the title race will be shot wide open, and if we win the media will make us title favourites. If we draw then god knows what they will say. On Sunday we didn’t play that well and we still beat Chelsea. In the first half Chelsea were tenacious, giving 100% and working their boots off and I was thinking, Chelsea are finally going to break their losing streak against us. Mutu scored a good goal but reyes turned the game on it’s head with a fantastic strike and a good second goal as well. I know he took a bit of time but that first goal from Reyes was worth waiting for. In the second half arsenal looked much better and were a total different team compared to the first half.

Parker and Terry gave everything for Chelsea especially Parker who was giving everything against Vieira but Vieira showed him how it is down in the second half and he put in a brilliant performance.

Ashley Cole and Gilberto both came out with knocks from the stupid friendlies. It leaves in a bit of an injury crisis in central midfield especially with Parlour also injured earlier on this week. It leaves us with only two central midfielders in Vieira and Edu.

If we win and hopefully we will then it will give us great confidence for the Celta Vigo match. For the last two seasons in the premiership we have had two 1 – 1 draws against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. I remember last season when we went to Stamford Bridge and beat them 3 – 1 in the FA cup. Patrick Vieira was awesome and totally dominated the midfield and I personally thought that was his best match of the season.

I know Chelsea haven’t beaten us for a very long time, and they are desperate to do us over especially after last Sunday’s result.

Chelsea will be in front of their home crowd and will have a point to prove, and even though Arsenal haven’t really been playing like we know they can, I expect them to give it 110% to prove to Chelsea once again no matter how much money you spend on a squad, you cannot buy togetherness and unity as we have in our team at Arsenal.

Chelsea have a quality squad, but below is a list of who I think are their key men:

Mutu + Hasselbaink – Key Men 1
Lampard + Makalele + Parker – Key Men 2
Terry + Desailly + Gallas – Key Men 3
Duff + Gronjkaer – Key Men 4
Cudicini – Key Man 5

I heard that Duff will be back for Chelsea and that will give them a huge boost as they have missed him a lot and he will have to be marked tightly.

The early team news is that Kanu, Henry and Ljungberg are back.

I think the best squad wenger should play against Chelsea is:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Toure Clichy

Ljungberg Edu Vieira Pires

Bergkamp Henry

I know Arsenal can beat Chelsea, but I think the way we can beat them is if we pressure their back four, and don’t let them get any kind of control in midfield. I have a feeling one team will be beaten on Saturday and let’s just hope it is Chelsea.

Come On you gooners!!!!

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
NO WAY HENRY WONT PLAY!

Even if he has one leg, he'll play, and still dominate!! (O.K, maybe im getting carried away here!)

I expect Cole to play, however as mentioned above, Glichy is more than competent at replacing him. The best team Arsenal can put out:

Lehmann

Lauren Sol Campbell Kolo Toure Cole/Gael Glichy

Freddie Ljungberg Patrick Vieira Edu Robert Pires

Thierry Henry Dennis Bergkamp

Now, you can say why not Reyes instead of Bergkamp? You can change around, but Bergkamps experience will be invaluable against those pieces-of-@#!$'s. The only thing we have to worry about in this match is Lehmann not clearing the ball properly.

Im expecting a win, but wont be disappointed with a draw either.

AUSTRALIA - MY LOVELY HOME LAND, WHY GET FIFA TO SUSPEND VIDUK'S! HE WAS LEEDS ONLY CHANCE AGAINST UNITED! :(

Jinn

Established Member
Bit of deja vu, eh? Good work to not make it the same preview as before. ;)

Gilberto's injury might give Edu a chance to shine for 90 mins against a very good side. And Clichy should be an able enough deputy if Cole can't recover in time.

Good report, I'll post this on the main page.

Adam

Established Member
Does anyone know how long Vieira and Pires played in France's friendly against Belgium?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom