• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Everton vs Arsenal | 07/01/04

gooner

We played very well yesterday, and we the team have a real good spirit around them at the moment and the scariest thing for all the other premiership teams is that we are just starting to peak to our best like the way we were playing at the beginning of last season. I won’t rip into Lehmann as it didn’t cost us, but every top goalkeeper makes mistakes, and even Howard made a mistake against Southampton when Beattie scored in the final few minutes against man utd at Saint Marys, and remember Cudicini.

Anyway, Henrys goal was magnificent and his celebration was even better. Every football fan I know, truly recognises that there is not a better player than him in the world at the current moment, because if he isn’t scoring he will be creating and he is giving 100% every match.

The build up to Edu’s goal was brilliant, and the other two goals were very good as well and I was very happy that Toure scored. I don’t think Arsenal worked too hard yesterday as they were saving themselves a bit for the Everton match.

The match against Everton will either be a very tight match or a very open match and I personally think it will be in between. I like Everton a bit as they work very hard for each other, although I don’t think they are nowhere near Liverpool yet. The important thing that all Arsenal players should keep in their minds that they were the team that broke our long unbeaten record last year and they will try their best to make it two season in a row. We played fairly well during the match when Ljungberg gave us an early lead, until Radzinski scored a screamer. A draw would have been fair as we had some chances and I remember one chance when Ljungberg lobbed Richard Wright and it was going until the final bounce when the ground made the ball spin away from the goal. Then in the dying minutes Rooney scored a very good goal, and even till today all I can keep on remembering is when the commentator started saying “Remember the name, Wayne Rooney”.

I really like David Moyes and I think he has done a great job for Everton. The team try to follow their manager’s positive attitude. This season when we played them in our opening game of the season we lost Campbell and after that we started to play well. When they scored their consolation goal they put us under a lot of pressure and nearly nicked a draw, but we hung on.

One player that I like a lot from the Everton squad is Thomas Gravesen. He is good at long rangers and always gives 100% and is another one of them players that never gets enough credit, as he is due. Joseph Yobo is another great player that I like a lot as he is a very solid defender, and always keeps his cool and reads the game very well.

Wayne Rooney has always seemed to torture our defence as he scored against us both times last year (home and away). Toure has been amazing this season, but I will keep a close eye on him this match to see how he can keep up with Rooney and how he handles him.

Below is a list of Everton’s Key Players:

Radzinski + Rooney - Key Men 1
Gravesen + Furguson - Key Man 2
Yobo - Key Man 3
Wright - Key Man 4
Nyarko - Key Man 5

Below is the team that I think will start:

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Cole

Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires

Bergkamp Henry

I hope it is an entertaining match and Henry scores a hat-trick and that we beat them.

Edu has been brilliant this season and he must give Wenger a headach as to who to choose to partner Vieira in the centre of midfield. Edu is more creative than both Parlour and Gilberto and he scores more than both of them, but Parlour likes to work very hard and gives a lot to the team, and Gilberto always gets ripped apart by Arsenal fans but he plays a quite role, and he does do a lot of work but you won’t notice as he keeps everything tidy and simple. For the match against Everton I would go with either Parlour or Edu.

Anyway people give me your replies and tell me what you lot personally think about the match and give your own views.

lewdikris

Established Member
Cheers Gooner. Time for vengeance for last season on Wednesday. Don't bet against Kanu continuing up front with Titi - might as well get value out of him whilst he's still with us, and not at the African Nations....

Edu had a brilliant game yesterday, so it would be nice for him to continue ... but he won't. He'll be back soon though.

Lukazan

Established Member
It's going to be a good match, and after what happened last year we better keep it tight on Rooney.. :D

But I think we'll win it quite comfortably, with Henry and Pires the scorers.

I agree that we should play Edu or Parlour instead of Gilberto, Edu is really looking good this season, and is showing great vision with his passing and general play. I think Gilberto is a very good player, and should definitely get at least 25 minutes, because I totally agree with what you say about him having a quite game and keeping things simple. Ljungberg has been alright lately, but he is still yet to reach his form, I think he should start, but Parlour should definitely come on for him if Ljungberg isn't cutting it.

I'd also like to see Kanu come on for Begkamp in the last 15 mins or so, he looked very good against Leeds yesterday and although he isn't scoring, he is good to watch and is quite a good passer of the ball. Bergkamp usually starts off really good, but starts to slow nearer the end of the match so I see Kanu as a good replacement, maybe even Wiltord.

Jinn

Established Member
Great preview as always, gooner.

It will be interesting to see how Toure copes with Rooney. The battle between Vieira and Gravesen will be very interesting too.

(I've added this to the front page)

Andrew

Rooney's been ordinary this season. He'll probably star against us though. Both his goals against us last season were when Cygan was backing off so maybe moving Toure to the middle, giving Rooney no space, will work out. Cole should also deal with him. For me, Radzinski is always the danger of this Everton side. Ferguson also might cause problems if he comes on. And Graveson is a great player, meaning Gilberto really has to be on his game... Perhaps one for Parlour to play in, especially considering he had yesterday off... I can see it happening. We should win this game but it won't be easy. But if Henry and Pires keep in the form they're in we should knock over Premiership clubs with ease.

pamilih

Against Everton would be a physical match. They are less tactical so we need physical players particularly in the back and the midfield.

Kanu would be the right player up front but he had been used yesterday. So your lineup is not that ideal.

Let's rest Henry to show the world that we're not a one-man team. I think this can be a chance for Wiltord to demonstrate his loyalty to Arsenal. If he does well than a good contract is waiting otherwise this will be a good excuse to dump him :lol:

Soler

Established Member
It'll be a tough match, and we shouldn't take them lightly. Andrew's probably right, Rooney will have a good game but Toure and Cole can keep him off the score sheet.

Hopefully the demon's of last years match can be erased with a nice, but hard fought 3-0 win. I think Vieira will score once, and Pires & Freddie will chip in with others. Assists going to Henry, and "Mad" Jens has an incident free match.

:)

jc8gooner

I think we will win this, but it will definitely be a tight match. Ferguson will surely be at threat if he starts, but I'd back Toure against Rooney anyday. I would play Kanu and Henry up front again. Kanu, imo, is more effective in away games, where he can hold the ball up and play some great, visionary balls. He might not be a great golascoring threat, but his support play is good, his buildup play is good and his movement is now back. I also think Dennis needs a few games rest before Kanu leaves, because he will then have to play quite a few games. himself.

I would put Parlour in the centre, and reinstate Lauren at RB, moving Kolo to CB.

reggiepaul

Andrew said:
Rooney's been ordinary this season. He'll probably star against us though. Both his goals against us last season were when Cygan was backing off

I don't think we can thoroughly slate Cygan with this. Cygan scored for us in that home Everton game and he was marking Rooney at Highbury as well which should leave Cygan with a lot of credit. The ball went through Cygans legs and he did try and stop it but he seemed to be too fast :D and then Taylor was a moment too early.

As for the goal at Goodison it was a mad goal coming out of nowhere. Most of our defence (like early last season) was wandering around up field while Cygan was trying to cover the defence alone.

Plus the backing off. It's silly to say a defender backs off. The efforts there and I don't think there is ever any question of "fear", that's just too funny it's untrue.

Defenders do get stuck in and without it they wouldn't be playing at the level they are at. Otherwise, how did they reach the level they are at? Did they sleep their way in to the premiership or they have strong contacts in the footballing underworld?

Nope. Hope I don't put any thoughts in to the mind of conspiracy theorists but that's football. Defenders defend.

Adam

Established Member
Defenders defend, so Cygans goal is no consolation for a lack of aggression and commitment in approaching Rooney.

zerofeel

Everton have a match winner in Chubby ROonrey.He may not have played as much as he would like but this kid thrives on big games and has the possibility of influencing a match when he is on...big threat for Arsenal and whoever is chosen to partner Cambell in central defence will have his work cut out because ROoney has the speed n strength of a matured footballer for a kid his age.Kolo should play centreback for this game to counter the threat of Rooney and Lauren should move to his right back position to counter any left mid attack...VIERA and PArlour to continue in central midfield bcos Everton have 2 tough tackling midfielders that will try to do everything to win the ball and Parlour gives us that edge in physicality but Everton generally is a tough team to beat at home..hope that Arsenal can rise above the pressure to win this game..and hope Bolton do wanders again when they meet MANURE so that we can go back on top...ONWARD ARSENAL!!! Arsenal to win 2-1 heheheh

reggiepaul

Adam said:
Defenders defend, so Cygans goal is no consolation for a lack of aggression and commitment in approaching Rooney.

It's not that easy though is it. If he had gone in Rooney would have blitzed him pretty easy. It's Rooney not Arthur Fowler.

The best option is positioning and to try and cover him and one goal is pretty good. Cygan is usually all over. Up field for headers so you can't complain entirely. Sometimes people want commitment but if you go in for a ball, upon the assumption your player will GAIN the ball (how often does that happen? we generally gain balls from interceptions), you may very well let a player pass, leaving your player chasing a player who is one pass away from getting it further away from your defender.

Plus this is Rooney and for the most part he was blocked out. Even the papers said this to that brilliant silence which lasts long enough to be appreciated before the moaners come out of the nether regions again.

You can't blame him for the Everton goal. Unless he can fly what more can you do. Most people faulted Seaman to being off his line. Finishing by Rooney was excellent.

Adam

Established Member
From that position - the CB has to take flack imo. If that was Toure i could imagine a different outcome. His agility and aggression is different class.

Against Radzinzki - anything else but Toure or Keown at CB is going to be dangerous.

reggiepaul

Dunno, we play different defensively now as we did last year so I am pretty confident with any of our options.

Last year we were so confident of our counter attacking play we just did that as the best defence and little thought and serious at that, was given to our defence. Now, we're very much stronger defensively that last season.

Of course our best should be available but I prefer kolo at right back. Kolo's dips into center half we're good lessons in keeping still but those runs are excellent and well needed up and down the right. He compliments Fred really well over there and when Henry goes left and Pires dips right - I can't see very much stopping our attack there.

I prefer Edu with Vieira for this as well. Just a faster, intelligent, everywhere central man.

Adam

Established Member
Basically, there is one thing tactics and formation will struggle to contain - Radzinski on the off chance running against Cygan. It's an outlet for Everton.

Andrew

reggiepaul said:
Andrew said:
Rooney's been ordinary this season. He'll probably star against us though. Both his goals against us last season were when Cygan was backing off

I don't think we can thoroughly slate Cygan with this. Cygan scored for us in that home Everton game and he was marking Rooney at Highbury as well which should leave Cygan with a lot of credit. The ball went through Cygans legs and he did try and stop it but he seemed to be too fast :D and then Taylor was a moment too early.

As for the goal at Goodison it was a mad goal coming out of nowhere. Most of our defence (like early last season) was wandering around up field while Cygan was trying to cover the defence alone.

Plus the backing off. It's silly to say a defender backs off. The efforts there and I don't think there is ever any question of "fear", that's just too funny it's untrue.

Defenders do get stuck in and without it they wouldn't be playing at the level they are at. Otherwise, how did they reach the level they are at? Did they sleep their way in to the premiership or they have strong contacts in the footballing underworld?

Nope. Hope I don't put any thoughts in to the mind of conspiracy theorists but that's football. Defenders defend.

I've got nothing against Cygan. But last season against Rooney I feel a player like Toure/Keown/Campbell would have charged him down and perhaps prevented a goal. I think Cygan holds his line well, but doesn't close down players well enough. Rooney has shown that given some space he can do something with it, so I think a player like Keown (who would wear him like a glove) could be a better option.

Mark

Established Member
i'd like toure to move back to CB for this one and i hope parlour partners vieira from the start but it won't happen sadly. this will be a tough game and i don't think resting anyone is a good idea. bergkamp should start with henry and if we're winning comfortably later in the game we can hopefully take him off early. maybe even both of them.

KoLo28

It's not on Foxtel or SBS in Australia, does anyone know where I can listen to it online ?

thierrys_girl

Established Member
KoLo28 said:
It's not on Foxtel or SBS in Australia, does anyone know where I can listen to it online ?

i dont think there is anywhere you can listen to it for free. But you should go on live text, espn gamecast or the chat room

Top Bottom