<

PL: Liverpool vs Arsenal| 28th September 20:00 BST | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by Rex Banter, Sep 23, 2020.

?

What will the result be?

Poll closed Sep 28, 2020.
  1. Arsenal win

29.6%
  2. Draw

30.6%
  3. Liverpool win

39.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red London

Red London Anti-Simp Culture Trusted

Decent performance by the lads, I'm sure the usual cry babies will be really turned on tonight because they can be in their feelings again but what do you really expect?

We've been pummelled by these guys at Anfield for a while now. They are the best team in Europe along with Bayern and they just won the league by a massive margin while we are rebuilding.

I said going into the game that I wouldnt mind a loss if we put in a decent performance and at the end of the day we did give one. We were still in the game past the 80th minute mark and that isnt bad going to Anfield. All the people seemingly expecting us to just change overnight know nothing about football, its gonna have to be baby steps catching up to these guys.

Trilly and TornadoTed like this.
  2. Red London

Red London Anti-Simp Culture Trusted

I think Arteta needs to be a bit more adventurous in games like this. We were soaking up pressure and needed pace on the break. A front 3 of Willian Aubameyang Pepe would have been devastating on the counter attack and Liverpool would have consantly been worried (we scared them with this last season).

I don't think hoofing it up to Lacazette works in a game like this. A hold up play striker needs support and at Anfield you wont get much as we are deep in our own half. Lacazette isnt the best in the world at trapping the ball anyway so we just waste a lot of possesion.

It would be wiser to go for lower % passes in behind their high line to our quick wingers and Auba. Apart from that it was a decent showing shape wise.

Mohamed7 and Trilly like this.

#254 Well-Known Member

I respect your choice. Just know that nobody else would

4. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

These type of games are usually lost by “plucky Arsenal that naively overcommitted” or “soft uncompetitive Arsenal that surrendered without putting up a fight”.

This was something different, more “Arsenal that remained competitive against superior opposition who were on form”

Could easily have nicked the draw. I know many would argue it would have been undeserved. The plan was always probably hold your own, then throw on Ceballos and Pepe in the latter stages.

Strengthening midfield is an obvious priority to everyone.

amigo likes this.
  5. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

It was a red card

MikeVinna likes this.
  6. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Dr. Pangloss

The difference in quality is there for all to see but Arteta summed it up. That group of players and manager have been together for 4/5 years and you can visibly see that.

Could we have done better on Liverpools goals? Definitely. I understand why he played Luiz over Gabriel as well, especially as the central CB of a 3.

We need the two midfield signings ASAP and to go into a 433.

Mohamed7 likes this.
  7. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Established Member Trusted

You’ve answered your own question. We all know there’s work to do, but the 3-1 scoreline flattered us.

My personal frustration is with the fact that I know Liverpool are very beatable but we insist on benching our best winger and playing our best striker our of position while watching two average ones stumbling along. We had the third fewest shots in the league last season of any team. It’s not just this game.

A side with a bit of composure up top and a midfielder who can play the ball over the top would’ve caused Liverpool big big problems. We just didn’t take advantage.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    celestis and vantoure like this.
  8. Big Poppa

Wholeheartedly agree. Saka’s not only an excellent close control dribbler with vision, he can defend, and execute a final ball.

Heart sank when I saw Eddie come on instead of him when we already had a far better striker on the pitch.

Auba’s also a terrible winger. Can’t dribble, can’t cross. Yet he’s an elite striker. It’s square pegs in round holes.

9. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

How was Mane not sent off btw???

10. razörist

Different set of rules voor Liverpool

11. His distribution was poor but the whole goalkeeper passing out tactic was a shambles. His defending was excellent though.

12. Auba should be up front with Saka on left wing. Pepe shouldn’t even be in the squad.

Big Poppa likes this.
  13. We need to start picking our best players and playing them in their best positions. Saka left wing, Auba centre forward, Tierney left wing back, AMN right wing back, Ceballos centre mid, Gabriel and Saliba alongside Holding. Drop Luiz, Xhaka, Lacazette and Bellerin. Leave Pepe out of the squad completely.

Big Poppa likes this.
  14. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

Reading Xhaka was berating the players during the celebrations for playing “scared” and giving the Pool players too much space. Thought that kind of mentality and approach was a thing of the past under Mikel. Very disappointing.

How you gonna go to an empty Anfield and sh!t yourselves ffs??!! Go and get stuck in and compete. They’re a top side, but we made them look unbelievable at times with the amount of space and time we gave their key players. Infuriating stuff.

kash2 likes this.
  15. Tomb Bombadil

Tomb Bombadil Active Member

I think this was a good performance. I guess to beat Liverpool we need to play at our best and Liverpool less good. In the first half we looked a bit scared but this was mostly due to Liverpools press.

I think all the players worked really hard, that's a good sign and nobody had a bad performance.

I wasn't really pleased with Luiz could have done better with the 1st and maybe the 3rd goal and playing out from the back was not really good. Would have prefered Gabriel for Luiz or Holding. Maybe Arteta wanted to protect him?

Holding was top defensivly, very good performance. His distribution is still not good enough. Also not easy against Liverpool.

AMN a bit the same. Good in defense, poor going forward and too many misplaced passes.

Same can be said from most players. Some good patches but still too many mistakes. Nobody really stood out. In the end Liverpool is just too good for us.

Red London likes this.
  16. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

That’s actually pretty damn respectable at Anfield.

17. Preacher

Preacher Always Crying

18. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a yellow and a half at first but then someone pointed out if you watch it again and look at Mane's hand, it makes a fist just before impact with Tierney.

As ridiculous as it is, the "too early in the game" factor was also probably at play here.

19. razörist

I think we all know if it was the other way around nothing would have stopped them to give a red to Arsenal. And that’s the harsh truth.

freeglennhelder2 likes this.
  20. Big Poppa

Everything geared towards a long ball to Auba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.