• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal, February 3rd, 16:30 Sky Sports

Will Arsenal beat Bald Fraud FC?

• Yes

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 66 68.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
He took the job knowing the finances and Özil situation, and knowing what type of footballer Mesut was (i.e. that he might not fit into his pressing philosophy). I would say he should have had some plan as to how to fit Özil in (sounds silly to say that), but he seems intent on just freezing him out. Iwobi was trash and the game was crying out for him...

I agree with some of this. His handling of the Özil situation isn't ideal. I'm a big fan of Özil, and my feelings on it are quite mixed. I think obvious inferior players are being used. I think that we hardly have been more defensively sound in his absence. But I do feel like Özil has let the fans down a bit too so it's hardly unjustified.

Game crying out for him? Yeah perhaps. I thought that. But I feel like it's the theoretical Özil, rather than the reality of what he's shown us in big matches.

I am unsure about emery, but i think he needs time and patience. We are exactly where our squads talent level belongs. A top heavy squad with a lack of balance, poor defensive structure to build on that will need to pull some transfer rabbit's out of hats.
He's had one real window. Let's give him at least another.

Gooner_girl14

I agree with some of this. His handling of the Özil situation isn't ideal. I'm a big fan of Özil, and my feelings on it are quite mixed. I think obvious inferior players are being used. I think that we hardly have been more defensively sound in his absence. But I do feel like Özil has let the fans down a bit too so it's hardly unjustified.

Game crying out for him? Yeah perhaps. I thought that. But I feel like it's the theoretical Özil, rather than the reality of what he's shown us in big matches.

I am unsure about emery, but i think he needs time and patience. We are exactly where our squads talent level belongs. A top heavy squad with a lack of balance, poor defensive structure to build on that will need to pull some transfer rabbit's out of hats.
He's had one real window. Let's give him at least another.

Was definitely crying out for him when we were two goals down, looked creatively clueless and our strikers barely touched the ball. Iwobi (who was all out of confidence by that stage), Kolasinac and Suarez being favoured as offensive outlets over Özil is mind boggling, at least to me.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Interesting looking at Pep's tactics for the game.

Essentially with the ball their team looked like this.

Ederson
Walker Otamendi Laporte
Fernandinho Gundogan
Bernardo KDB Silva Sterling
Aguero
Walker and Laporte were still essentially playing as full-backs a lot of the time despite playing a CB less than usual. Pep was confident enough that Otamendi was able to cope with the potential threat of Auba and Lacazette (less so than Auba because he doesn't really make runs to stretch defences) all on his own, though I suppose the recovery pace of Walker would have also been helpful had we shown more of a threat in that regard. They had such a numerical advantage on the ball, kept trying to suck us to the right hand side which would mean Sterling would end up free on his own. The side which they'd end up punishing us in their 2nd and 3rd goals (the first as well but that was more an error on our behalf than them doing that).

Without the ball, and at times in the latter stages of the second half they were more than happy to let us have possession which was unusual for a Pep team, they'd revert back to their typical 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 shape with Fernandinho partnering Otamendi in the back 4 and Gundogan doing the role that Fernandinho usually carries out. Heck at one stage they were almost 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 when Silva went to the left side and Sterling was given more of a free license to go more centrally behind the striker.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We needed creativity, and Özil is still one of our best players at providing that. Iwobi was awful and turned out to be an even bigger defensive liability than Özil probably would have been. I don't think the result would have changed with him but the second half was spineless and embarrassing with no attempt on goal. Our strikers barely touched the ball and often had to come deep, no one could link defence and attack. Özil definitely could have helped with that.

Yes, because City pinned us back and we couldn't get the ball off them.

The most effective way to create goalscoring opportunities away from home is to force the opposition into mistakes when they aren't defensively set. To do that you have to press and maximise the width of the pitch and create turnovers. We did it for spells in the first half as a team but stopped in the 2nd when we ran out of legs.

Gooner_girl14

Yes, because City pinned us back and we couldn't get the ball off them.

The most effective way to create goalscoring opportunities away from home is to force the opposition into mistakes when they aren't defensively set. To do that you have to press and maximise the width of the pitch and create turnovers. We did it for spells in the first half as a team but stopped in the 2nd when we ran out of legs.

And you don't think Özil could have done a better job with that than our new loanee Suarez?

Gooner_girl14

Please stop talking about Özil. There's nothing more boring. I can't wait till he's sold just so I no longer have to see this boring discussion.

LOL I agree the discussion has been beaten to death but while he's still in the squad and getting paid his pretty pennies, Emery may was well use him!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Özil wouldn't have done nothing he done nothing against Cardiff at home I don't think he'll do better away against PL champ

Gooner_girl14

I don't think either was the answer, but Suarez is more versatile and able to play from deep.

Maybe, but he's only had 9 appearances for Barca this season and coming to a new league (don't think it matters much that he was a youngster at City), I don't think bringing him on when we're chasing 2 goals was ever going to amount to much.

Leeroy1979

Watched the game and then had a look on here, I have to say some if the negativity really shocks me.

Truth is we lost an away game we all knew deep down would be a tough ask to get anything out of. At this moment in time they'd are a far better side than us with a point to grove after slipping up against newcastle.

I am as gutted as anyone with the result but to call for emery to go and judge Suarez already is just madness.

The team worked it's nuts off and ran out of steam....klopp didnt transition Liverpool into a consistent high pressing team in this little time so why do we think emery can?

The club also has a duty of care to nurture young talent properly, calling for youngsters to be thrown to the wolves when we are up against it just isn't fair on them.

Beast Incarnate

How many ****, half-arsed performances do we have to see from Özil before our fans realise he not this saviour and the answer to all our prayers?

He's been phoning it in ever since he signed that contract. The fact he's not fussed about not being involved in the first team speaks volumes about where his head is at - in semi-retirement.

Gooner_girl14

Watched the game and then had a look on here, I have to say some if the negativity really shocks me.

Truth is we lost an away game we all knew deep down would be a tough ask to get anything out of. At this moment in time they'd are a far better side than us with a point to grove after slipping up against newcastle.

I am as gutted as anyone with the result but to call for emery to go and judge Suarez already is just madness.

The team worked it's nuts off and ran out of steam....klopp didnt transition Liverpool into a consistent high pressing team in this little time so why do we think emery can?

The club also has a duty of care to nurture young talent properly, calling for youngsters to be thrown to the wolves when we are up against it just isn't fair on them.

I'm not too negative about this defeat as it was to be expected, but I'm just disappointed that we didn't show more fight in the second half when we were in the contest. Emery looked clueless, took too long to make the changes (which is unlike him) and it showed as we had no attempts on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom