• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Football is cyclical. Teams will start going to 4-4-2 to counter the back 3 that is really popular right now.

Then they’ll go back to the number 10s who can play in the spaces between the back line.
I don’t disagree but there is a tactical reason we don’t see those free willing number 10s, they play as wingers now.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
David Silva was in that Cazorla bracket for me, both sets of fans overrating how good they actually were. When both players were in that Spain squad, they were bit part players with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Villa etc carrying the team.

Lmao no way is Silva one of the best ever.

90% of footballers to have played professionally would be bit part players to those guys though.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

90% of footballers to have played professionally would be bit part players to those guys though.

Well if we’re regarding someone like Silva to be part of the best PL players ever as Sky, pundits etc are hyping him up to be then he should be part of that 10%. It might just be me but I don’t rate David Silva as highly as others do.

Would a peak Thierry Henry look like a bit part player in that Spain team? No chance.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Well if we’re regarding someone like Silva to be part of the best PL players ever as Sky, pundits etc are hyping him up to be then he should be part of that 10%. It might just be me but I don’t rate David Silva as highly as others do.

Would a peak Thierry Henry look like a bit part player in that Spain team? No chance.

You’re comparing the greatest PL player(Henry) to one of best(Silva) to support your argument though. Bit unfair.

I doubt anyone would have Silva in their all time top 5 PL players. But he’s definitely one of the most talented and consistent to play here.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I would say it's easier to score now, tbh.

More teams want ball playing CBs now, as a result defenders aren't are good as they used to be at actually defending...plus the physicality of the game is reduced from what it was 10-15-20 years ago, forwards are much more protected now.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill

More teams want ball playing CBs now, as a result defenders aren't are good as they used to be at actually defending...plus the physicality of the game is reduced from what it was 10-15-20 years ago, forwards are much more protected now.

With all the pressing and intensity and emphasis on physical fitness I think attackers are afforded less space than they were 10-15 years ago.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

You’re comparing the greatest PL player(Henry) to one of best(Silva) to support your argument though. Bit unfair.

I doubt anyone would have Silva in their all time top 5 PL players. But he’s definitely one of the most talented and consistent to play here.

This is the type of crap I was reading when he announced that he’d be leaving City. David Silva isn’t even top 10 for me tbh.

Nobody is doubting his talent, I just think he’s overrated and I think a few on here would agree with me on that.

Farzad Stoned

The defenders aren’t worse they just aren’t allowed the same freedom to go to ground as often. Also the modern ball itself favors the attacker the older heavier you see how goalies are often beat in the middle of the goal by shots that swerve and bite with action than 20-30 years ago. It used to be if your goalie drop kicked it passed the half way line it was a good kick now they kick it from edge of the box almost to the other box. Faster more dynamic ball as well.

Farzad Stoned

That is nothing compared to a Liverpool team that registers close to 100 points in back to back seasons while winning the CL and PL instead of fluking it in the greatest fluke of all time. Newcastle ain’t **** either compared to a Leicester that has won the league and the FA Cup and is a superbly run club. All that without mentioning City who have assembled the most expensive 25 man squad ever. The league is tougher by whatever standards you want to apply.
Totally agree I think there really isn’t much to the argument the league was better 10 or 20 years ago but nostalgia. In recent times this is the best the English teams have done against European competition in terms of European competition, by some stretch. You measure the leagues quality against how that league does in Europe. 10-15 years La Liga won all the European competitions most every year they were the best. Right now all the other leagues are struggling to compete with the richer PL clubs for talent and pl is dominating European competition. Something that the teams of 90s and 2000s never did. By the way internationally as well this is the best English national team side since 66, they are the only one that managed a final since. That combined with all the quality international talent has made the league tougher.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Just listen to anyone who's played or been in and around the game for a decade or two.

Almost without exception they'll say the game is much harder / more demanding now.

It doesn't take away any of the achievements of past either.

For the he people who deny it, think of it this way. Was the PL more difficult / of a higher quality in 94 or 2004? I'm pretty sure your reaction would be to say it was of a higher quality in 2004, and I'd agree.

Farzad Stoned

Just listen to anyone who's played or been in and around the game for a decade or two.

Almost without exception they'll say the game is much harder / more demanding now.

It doesn't take away any of the achievements of past either.

For the he people who deny it, think of it this way. Was the PL more difficult / of a higher quality in 94 or 2004? I'm pretty sure your reaction would be to say it was of a higher quality in 2004, and I'd agree.
In team sports it’s hotly debated and you get nostalgics who say the competition is worse. If you look at individual sorts with objective records like track and weightlifting you see the records being smashed left and right, At one time 4 minute mile was world class now high school kids in track run sub 4 minute miles. In those objective sports there is no debate that 20 or 30 years ago the athletes were better. In the last 30 years just the population of people has almost doubled, there are more people alive now then have ever lived in human history before. In sheer numbers alone the quality of talent should be significantly better now than 1990s or 2000s

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Same with basketball. LeBron clear of that plumber MJ.

Perfect argument.

We're not making the same argument though.

I'm making an arguement about the general quality of the game improving over time, not comparing freakish individual players from different eras.

All time greats like Messi and Ronaldo may be better than any player in 20 years time, but the overall standard of the game generally is likely to be higher in 20 years nevertheless.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Tougher,but not by much. Some teams from 2004 to 2012 were great to watch and EPL teams were dominant in CL.And if you compare teams from that era to nowdays teams,quality is about same,just different teams.I mean look at Chelsea and United squad in those times.They would probably win against today's side.Arsenal as well.

But was football was kinda different as well in England. Games with lot of pace and smaller teams used to be more offensive.Nowdays is more tactically and kinda boring.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Cant believe this thread is still open tbh, overall player qualty has declined massively in World football. End of thread!!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Really strange this league is getting harder stuff. Every time we play another team it’s always a poor Sp**s, a poor United, a poor Everton etc.:lol:

I swear more than half the sides we've already played have been piss poor and we've already played the big three. Next we're playing a poor United side followed by a poor Everton side. Yet I'm meant to believe this is Peak Barclays? Who are these people trying to kid? :lol:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Really strange this league is getting harder stuff. Every time we play another team it’s always a poor Sp**s, a poor United, a poor Everton etc.:lol:
When people say the league is getting harder, they mean more competitive.

Top Bottom