• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | 29/12/03

gooner

I watched the whole Arsenal game against Wolves and to say the truth Arsenal were playing in first gear throughout most of the game. We were just passing the ball around with so much ease and I am not being big headed or anything but it was like a training session. Henrys second goal was brilliant and for a person who is not naturally left footed he sure has adapted well to using his left foot. Anyway, this Monday we will have a very difficult challenge from Southampton and I can guarantee it.

They will want revenge for us beating them in the FA cup final last season. They will also want to try and break our unbeaten record so they can be known as the only team that beat Arsenal in the first half of the season. Southampton are a very impressive team and their teamwork is basically like the attitude of their manager, who has the never die spirit. What I like about Southampton is their teamwork. They work very, very hard and their work rate is phenomenal. Against Manchester united this season when they beat them 1 – 0 at home, you couldn’t really give special praise to anyone as they all worked very hard for each other and deserved to win.

I still remember last season when we lost 3 – 2 and it really, really hurt me at the time. Bergkamp scored a wonderful volley in the first half. But Beattie equalised with a smashing free kick. Then Campbell got sent off, and then the game went down the drain. Beattie scored a penalty and Delgado scored a scrappy goal. Pires got a consolation goal towards the end.

Last week they beat Liverpool very impressively, and they could have scored more goals, but yesterday they lost to Fulham thanks to a brace from Saha, who is playing really well this season. They will want to get over that result a.s.a.p and you can guarantee that Arsenal will get a very tough ride from them on Monday.

I remember Chelsea went up there this season and got all three points. Southampton played brilliantly through the whole game and Phillips missed a sitter, but the point is that even though Chelsea got outplayed they took all three points and this is what we may be required to do, if things are not going our way.

Below is a list of who I think are Southampton’s key men:

Beattie + Ormerod – Key Men 1
Niemi – Key Man 2
Pahars + Phillips – Key Men 3
Lundekvan + Svennson – Key Men 4
Fernandes + Prutton – Key Men 5

I know this will be a tough match and this is why I would play a bit of a different team like the one shown below:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole

Ljungberg Vieira Edu Pires

Bergkamp Henry

The main reason I would put Toure in central defence instead of Beattie is because of last season Beattie totally ripped apart Cygan for pace as well as power and I bet you Toure could do a good job against Beattie and Ormerod. I would also put in Edu because he brings a new attacking style from central midfield when he plays and he calms the game down when he needs to. I think Wenger will go with:

Lehmann

Toure Campbell Cygan Cole

Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires

Bergkamp Henry

This match will be very tough and the result of this game will prove how far we have come since we played them last season, and I want to wish the gunners the best of luck.

flotz

isnt cole suspended?
i think you're absolutely right about toure and beattie , and i think wenger will put a lauren in and switch toure to cb , he even said that lauren will play...
i think it's a very difficult game and wenger will put the best team he can...
i predict 3-2 or 3-1 with bergkamp scoring

Andrew

I agree that playing Lauren could be a good option. I think Cygan could struggle with Bettie or Pahars (if he plays). And I'm sure Lauren is determined to put things right after some bad performances.

I would choose Parlour ahead of Edu and Gilberto. This game is a real danger game and we really have to be up to it. Parlour will do his best to make sure we don't take it too easy.

Our unbeaten record could be in danger. Southampton are a good side and deserved their victory over Man Utd. But if we win then I will have no doubt we are Championship winning material.

I think the Soton match will be our biggest challenge out of the recent matches.

They have a good record against us at St Mary's and previously the Dell.

Fingers crossed for a Gunners win... 8)

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
This will be a difficult but exciting game imo. Southampton have got some class players in the form of Beattie, Niemi, Phillips, Fernandez, M Svenson, Le Saux and Pahars. I think Pahars might be out for this one, which is good news coz he's a super little player. Who could forget Niemi's brilliant saves in last year's corresponding fixture? Beattie also caused us loads of problems last year and he'll be a big threat this time around too. I think we'll nick this one 2-1.

Mark

Established Member
i would've liked bergkamp to start this one at full fitness, but i don't think he will play very well having started against wolves when he didn't really need to as he wasnt even 100% fit and it we would've coped without him as it's wolves, we could've given aliadiere a start and rested bergy for this game, i think 2 games in 4 days is too much. i think he should be on the bench with either kanu or ali starting upfront with henry. i also hope lauren plays again as i think beattie will be too much for cygan and i think parlour should start in midfield with vieira because he works very hard and this is the kind of game he'd be good in.

My prediction:

Southampton 1 - 2 Arsenal

siddharth

Andrew said:
I agree that playing Lauren could be a good option. I think Cygan could struggle with Bettie or Pahars .

I would choose Parlour ahead of Edu and Gilberto.

Come on guys stop criticising cygan.Yes he struggled last season but he's matured n improved a lot.If he can cope with player like Martins i'm sure he can do it against beattie or pahars.
I think wenger shud start with the same team though i'd have liked him to start with edu but it has to be parlour for such high intensity games.

Prediction : 0-1
Cygan the scorer :wink:

A.Hussain

this will be quite a test for clichy. i predict our scorers will be ljungberg and cygan with a header from a corner. 2-1 to the arse.... hopefully

jc8gooner

Wnger said that Lauren will start against either Wolves or Soton, and he didn't start yesterday, so work it out. I am not sure if Bergkamp will start for the second time in 4 days, so it might be Kanu. Providing Gilberto has recovered from his flu, I expect the team to look something like this:

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Clichy

Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires

Bergkamp/ Henry
Kanu

Andrew

siddharth said:
Andrew said:
I agree that playing Lauren could be a good option. I think Cygan could struggle with Bettie or Pahars .

I would choose Parlour ahead of Edu and Gilberto.

Come on guys stop criticising cygan.Yes he struggled last season but he's matured n improved a lot.If he can cope with player like Martins i'm sure he can do it against beattie or pahars.
I think wenger shud start with the same team though i'd have liked him to start with edu but it has to be parlour for such high intensity games.

Prediction : 0-1
Cygan the scorer :wink:

I don't critcise Cygan, in fact, far from it. I've been a supporter of his. But I think this match might be best to get our best back 4 back. Southampton have some strikers who may be difficult to contain. But I'm not fully convinced about Lauren at the moment. As Ally mentioned, Cole-Cygan-Campbell-Toure might be our best back 4. I want Lauren to return to see how he goes. If he continues his **** form then Cygan should be recalled, because his form has been quite good lately.

SydneyGunnerFan

this game is one we should win easily they are going further and further down the ladder and i hope we can win and manure lose and we will be leading the pemier league table again

satan_beckham

lauren have to return and toure have to go to centre,cygan just cannot do it.If wolves striker,kenny milner can outpace him,then beatie and company will surely outpaced him. And you cant expect lehmann to come to the rescue everything like on firday.And i think gilberto will return,he had a rest so hopefully he is fresh and play well.Not sure about bergkamp as he played against wolves and may be abit tired so i expect kanu to start,as for ali,dont think he will start,if he dont get the chance to start against wolves,u can expect him to start against southampton.think it will be a 2-1 win

Lehmann

Ljungberg Gilberto Vieira Pires

Kanu Henry

SydneyGunnerFan

Lehmann

Ljungberg Gilberto Vieira Pires

Kanu Henry

instead of having gilberto in the centre with Vieira i say put edu on and also start ali instead of kanu

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Arsène: KIDS WILL SAVE ME A FORTUNE Dec 28 2003

Arsenal boss looks to future with young Guns
Paul Smith

Arsène WENGER has ruled out any move into the transfer market because he claims the current crop of youngsters coming through the ranks at Arsenal are good enough to sustain the club's success on the field.

Even though he has been offered money to strengthen during the January transfer window, Wenger has told his board he doesn't require it.

"Adding players, just to buy players is pointless. If we need someone, fine, but at the moment I'm happy with what I have," claimed Wenger.

"We have the best crop of youngsters I have had during my time at Arsenal. I have good young players of 18 or 19 who can come in and make an impact.

"Players like Ryan Smith, Quincy Owusu-Abieye and David Bentley. So why do I need to buy? It's stupid to do it when we have the talent here.

"I have in the past felt that we needed to sign players of quality to play where we want them to play. But now we have the young players, like Jeremie Aliadiere, of the quality to play a part.

"They have worked extremely hard with Liam Brady to change that and overall there has been a big improvement.

"These players have a massive talent and for us it's a question of patience now while we wait until they are ready to play."

Wenger claims it would take an enormous talent to force a change of heart and such a player would have to come at the right price.

"I haven't completely ruled out a move into the transfer market and if anybody knows an outstanding player at the right price - don't forget that, not at a Chelsea price but at the right price - then call me."

Arsenal go into tomorrow night's televised clash with Southampton with an 18-match unbeaten start to the season. But Wenger has warned his side that they could face their sternest test of the season at St Mary's and that a repeat performance of their last away trip, to Bolton, would see that record fall.

He said: "We expect Southampton to be tough down there. We had a very difficult game against them last season and lost 3-2.

"It was a very physical match. They fight for every loose ball. It will be an extremely tough game, I know that.

"We know that we will have to be at our best to win there. We beat them in the previous two games and, in fairness, I think the 6-1 defeat at Highbury preyed on their minds in the FA Cup Final defeat.

"But down there it's a different story. We will have to be focused.

"We know it will be a big test for us going into the match with an 18-match unbeaten start to the season.

"And we will need to be prepared. We need to be strong because at home they are a real force and they are capable of beating anybody, as previous results have shown.

"We need to look to improve after the Bolton game. They were on a high, the crowd was frenetic and I felt we lowered our standards after qualifying for the Champions League.

"Our concentration was short and if that happens at Southampton our record is in danger."

And Wenger knows who the greatest threat is to his team.

"James Beattie is a real danger, that goes without saying. Last year he scored a great free kick against us and he went on to have a great season.

"Although he has not scored as many goals this campaign, down at their place he is always a threat.

"We know he will be on to every long ball and he will be dangerous in and around the box.

"It's simple - we have to stop him playing, as well as cutting off the supply to their front-line.

"We need to stop the long balls coming up front, not to play too deep and ensure we keep it tight and push out from our own box.

"We have been remarkably consistent this season but we are taking things from game to game, we're not looking beyond that."

Gael Clichy is expected to continue to deputise for Ashley Cole, who completes his three-match ban.

Wenger could tinker with his team and promote fit-again Lauren and Martin Keown to the starting 11.

THE LIKELY LINE-UPS

SO'TON ARSENAL

NIEMI LEHMANN

DODD TOURE

LUNDEKVAM CYGAN

M SVENSSON CAMPBELL

H'BOTHAM CLICHY

TELFER PARLOUR

PRUTTON VIEIRA

DELAP LJUNGBERG

MARSDEN PIRES

BEATTIE BERGKAMP

ORMEROD HENRY

Kick-off 8pm, tomorrow

Live on Sky Sports 1

Source: Sunday Mirror

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
GUNNERS IN SIGHT Dec 28 2003
By Peter White

JAMES BEATTIE will be hoping to end Arsenal's impressive unbeaten run at St Mary's tomorrow night - with a little help from Thierry Henry!

Southampton will be trying to become the first side this season to inflict a domestic defeat on title- chasing Arsenal, and Beattie will turn to the inspiration provided by Henry to try to pull off a Premiership upset.

Saints were beaten by Arsène Wenger's team in last season's FA Cup final at Cardiff, but the bitter taste of defeat for Saints' striker Beattie was partially offset by encouraging words from Gunners' goal ace Henry.

Beattie explained: "Henry came into our dressing room after the game and asked to swap shirts with me. Obviously it was disappointing to lose the final, but that was the high point of my day.

"He told me I had had a great season and to keep my chin up, and he expected to see me high in the scoring charts again this season competing against him for the Golden Boot."

Indeed, Beattie and Henry were neck and neck for the award for most of last term, only to be pipped by Manchester United ace Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Although Beattie has been unable to match last season's impressive haul this campaign, he still has 11 League and Cup goals and is full of confidence ahead tomorrow night's match.

The Saints hitman continued: "Henry's words of encouragement meant an awful lot to me, because he is world class.

"If he is on form, there is not a lot any defence can do about it. You cannot see a weakness in his game, I reckon it's as near perfect as it gets.

"You have to marvel at some of the things he does, and the goals he scores. He has pace, trickery, skill and awesome finishing - everything a striker needs."

Saints will be looking for a morale-booster against Gunners after their surrender against Fulham on Boxing Day sent them tumbling from fourth to seventh in the Premiership.

And Saints manager Gordon Strachan insists lessons must be learned from the disappointing defeat by Fulham. He said: "Our retention of the ball was poor against Fulham, and we cannot move up to the next level if we keep losing the ball."

Latvian striker Marian Pahars is doubtful after missing the defeat at Fulham with a thigh strain. Danny Higginbotham is set to deputise for Graeme Le Saux at left-back, while Rory Delap could return after twisting an ankle in training.

Source: Sunday Mirror

Top Bottom