<

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | Thursday 25th June | KO: 18:00 | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by OnlyOne, Jun 21, 2020.

?

Result?

1. Southampton Win

46 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Draw

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  3. Arsenal Win

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunta

Hunta Shivering Right Now Trusted

Macey
    Oyegoke Ballard Medley Tierney
    Willock Smith Saka
    Nelson
    Martinelli Balogun​

2. shootxhakashoot

shootxhakashoot Özil lives rent-free in my head

Martinez
    Bellerin
    Medley
    Holding
    Tierney
    Amn
    Ceballos
    Saka
    Martinelli
    Aubameyang
    Pepe

Anyone who hasnt had a gutful of mustafi is lying to themselves.

3. NoOffense

NoOffense Member

Next game we need to have a line-up that can just control the posession all ovet the pitch. I don't care about scoring really, I just want to have a glimpse of former Arsenal. In order to do this the line-up should be, although I think this is the best we have currently.

Amn-mustafi-holding-tierney
    Torreira-Ceballos
    Pepe-Özil-Saka
    Auba

Pepe can keep the width on the right hand side and Amn can slide to midfield when we have the posession next to torreira and at the same time Ceballos will push next to Özil. With this formation I think we would be better prepared for the eventual counter attack while maintaining players upfield. Probably we wouldn't score but I think this team can control the posession even higher up the pitch. So it would translate to

Musti-Holding-Tierney
    Amn-torreira
    Pepe-Özil-Ceballos-Saka
    Auba

When we are eventually trailing Tierney can start playing more aggressively.

I am so tired of seeing Guendouzi standing behind an opponent not making himself available, which is something a midfielder should almost never do and this is why I prefer Ceballos. At least he wants The ball and makes himself available, which is a trait all the best midfielders have.

4. Ashybashy86

Ashybashy86 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt if he was a player who made an impact, the FA would've found a way to ban him.

vantoure likes this.
  5. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

I'd like to see a line-up with some athleticism and forward thrust. Something I'd like to see in action is some variations with this midfield:

Martinez
    Bellerin Mustafi Holding Tierney
    Willock AMN Saka
    Pepe Auba Martinelli
    Or:

Martinez
    Bellerin Mustafi Holding Tierney
    Willock AMN Saka
    Pepe Nketiah Auba
    I'd also like to see Nelson get some proper minutes aswell. He's looked pretty good in the training videos but has only been given a few straggly minutes at the end of games. Either on the left or the right, I think his energy could be useful and there's potentially a lot of end product in there if used right. But we need a midfield that can run, and can carry the ball up the pitch or at least release their passes quicker. We've got too many players who are tidy on the ball without actually being particularly creative nor athletic.

6. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

We need a midfield that can run but with a midfield of Willock, AMN and Saka we wouldn't keep the ball. The front 3 aren't exactly great at retaining the ball either.

7. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

This fixture could be a nightmare for us, Ings was brilliant against Norwich & Armstrong gets into loads of intelligent positions that our midfield won't track. Not looking forward to this one.

8. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

I honestly think they'd keep the ball a bit better than we're estimating. We've tried other combos and they do not work. Maybe could put one of Ceballos or Guendouzi in there but honestly they are so slow and take so many touches that I feel they'd just slow the game down. At this point, retaining the ball should be the least of our aims - we need to get to the final 3rd much quicker and be a bit more urgent in attacking situations. Then bring them on to take their million and one touches.

RE the front 3, I suggested Nelson as an alternative as he's arguably the best at retaining the ball in the final 3rd of the bunch. But we need a lot more energy and I'd sacrifice a bit of whatever technical quality Ceballos and Guendouzi are currently providing to put some more legs in the midfield.

I have hope and faith as long as they're given the proper opportunity.

9. vantoure

vantoure Well-Known Member

Start Willock, Guendouzi and Özil in a 4231

Aubameyang CF, Saka LW and Pepe.

10. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

[​IMG]

Think this is what Arteta will go with

11. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

My Lineup

Competent GK

Defenders who actually defend

Midfielders who can play at a fast tempo.

Pepe-Aubameyang--Martinelli

12. Ashybashy86

If I see this same lineup on Thursday, I'll finally lose all hope.

Tourbillion likes this.
  13. grange

grange Well-Known Member

Guendouzi gets no punishment for that? How?!? I mean, good for him but come on.. :lol::lol::lol:

14. Oxeki

As a poster said a few pages back, if it was an important player for us, they'd likely have banned him tbh

grange likes this.
  15. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

Yup. It's easy to retain possession when playing low risk sideways and backwards passes but there's a hefty cost to that approach in terms of creativity, especially against teams that are happy to sit back and let you have the ball.

That's how we should finish the game once we have a healthy lead, not how we should start it.

We need to play with a lot more zip and purpose. I see far too many underhit passes to a player's weaker foot which just kill all sorts of momentum yet they pad our possession stats.

Our transition from back to front needs to, as you say, happen much faster in order to be effective.

zilfy, Tourbillion and Ashybashy86 like this.
  16. Ashybashy86

:lol: Are you really surprised tho?

grange likes this.
  17. Oxeki

[​IMG]

I'd like to see this lineup

18. Gunner-Union

Gunner-Union Well-Known Member

Tbh I see us capitulating once we concede and early goal and the saints bullying us . Our midfield options are atrocious and we never field the same ones for more than a game so there is no consistency mainly because they suck so bad you have to change them

19. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

We'll not see Auba as CF this season I am sure
    only if se ever play 442

20. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Saints win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.