• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | Thursday 25th June | KO: 18:00 | Sky Sports

Result?

• Southampton Win

Votes: 46 63.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Arsenal Win

Votes: 16 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Arteta must know by now he should never have taken this job, underinvestment, disinterested owners, usual Arsenal long injury list, shocking recruitment, average players.

If he gets us out of free fall he's a genius.

:lol: Jesus Christ, hyperbole-mania at it again

Sure, this is the worst Arsenal squad in years but it's still loads better than most in the PL, especially compared to our next opponents so if Arsenal go in to a free fall for the rest of the season, no amount of injuries is good enough excuse for Arteta. He has to take responsibility. And he definitely ain't a genius if he avoids a free fall. I'm curious, do you actually see us as equivalent to 2007 Leeds?

But regardless, I'm willing to give Arteta a pass this season. You are right in that it surely wasn't an easy situation he came into but Arteta is a complete ***** if he regrets his decision to come here. How many managers get to start their managerial career in a club like Arsenal. We might not have the resources of ManC, ManU, Che or Pool but this is still better place to be than most PL clubs, even if we aren't currently making the most of our resources. But a manager plays a big part in that so Arteta is in a position to make a difference. From next season onwards we'll see if he can. But it's ridiculous to already start making excuses for him in case he fails because "Arsenal is basically the worst place to be as a manager". That's such BS. There's probably maximum of 10-15 clubs in the world that a manager would prefer over Arsenal so I'm really not feeling super sorry for Arteta getting to start his managerial career here.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Sure, this is the worst Arsenal squad in years but it's still loads better than most in the PL.

We've played 30 games now. The table doesn't lie. The fact of the matter is that this squad is bang average, the team is bang average, and guess what...the table says so. We're a mid table team.

Had it not been for Auba's goals this season....god help us!

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Trying to suss out if Özil will start. I know its an away game which he is contractually obliged not to attend but (a) Its a short 1.5 hr drive south so it's not "beyond the northern wall" demarcated by the Watford gap and (b) absolutely glorious weather is predicted.

The wee man starts methinks.

FinnGooner

Established Member
We've played 30 games now. The table doesn't lie. The fact of the matter is that this squad is bang average, the team is bang average, and guess what...the table says so. We're a mid table team.

Had it not been for Auba's goals this season....god help us!

The table doesn't directly measure squad quality (only). It measures team performance and call me crazy but I do think that in sports there are other factors than merely player quality that comes to play when a team performs, not that player quality isn't a major factor. For example, I really don't consider Sheffield United to have better crop of players in terms of talent. But they do play much better as a unit to their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyways, If Arteta really does consider it a mistake that he came to Arsenal, he **** off. Won't miss him much. There are plenty of managers in the world who would appreciate the chance to manage Arsenal. This might not be the easiest of jobs but you have much better chance showing your managerial pedigree here than Burnley or Brighton or any of theose **** teams below us in the league.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

[QUOTE="freeglennhelder2, post: 5096668, member: 95103"]Trying to suss out if Özil will start. I know its an away game which he is contractually obliged not to attend but (a) Its a short 1.5 hr drive south so it's not "beyond the northern wall" demarcated by the Watford gap and (b) absolutely glorious weather is predicted.

The wee man starts methinks.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

looking forward to seeing this

Least this will make fans of the early 90s nostalgic, as our defence just stand there and watch Southampton ease to a 3-1 win.

Looked up all yellow Arsenal kit, this popped up...

arsenal-away-2010.jpg

...nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_G

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta

Sure, this is the worst Arsenal squad in years but it's still loads better than most in the PL, especially compared to our next opponents so if Arsenal go in to a free fall for the rest of the season, no amount of injuries is good enough excuse for Arteta. He has to take responsibility. And he definitely ain't a genius if he avoids a free fall. I'm curious, do you actually see us as equivalent to 2007 Leeds?

But regardless, I'm willing to give Arteta a pass this season. You are right in that it surely wasn't an easy situation he came into but Arteta is a complete ***** if he regrets his decision to come here. How many managers get to start their managerial career in a club like Arsenal. We might not have the resources of ManC, ManU, Che or Pool but this is still better place to be than most PL clubs, even if we aren't currently making the most of our resources. But a manager plays a big part in that so Arteta is in a position to make a difference. From next season onwards we'll see if he can. But it's ridiculous to already start making excuses for him in case he fails because "Arsenal is basically the worst place to be as a manager". That's such BS. There's probably maximum of 10-15 clubs in the world that a manager would prefer over Arsenal so I'm really not feeling super sorry for Arteta getting to start his managerial career here.

ahem... we just played a Saka-Ceballos-Guendouzi midfield ..cant get any worse

boxerumble

Baked Canadian

What an imposing midfield we have. Imagine for just a second knowing you’ll be playing against Guendouzi and Ceballos.

lord help us. Has anyone seen who we have left to play?

FinnGooner

Established Member
ahem... we just played a Saka-Ceballos-Guendouzi midfield ..cant get any worse

:rolleyes:Yes it was the worst midfield ever...:facepalm:

Not that your post actually even deserves a response but are you really saying that we were 1-0 up against Brighton at 74th minute but then suddenly Brighton's superior player quality just kicked in and there was no way to win that game?

Anyway, no use continuing this discussion on this thread since it's the SOU game thread. So back to topic. I'll try to write a bit more traditional A-M style: obviously we have no chance against SOU because of their far superior player quality so if Arteta somehow gets even a draw here we should offer him 10 year contract with 800k/week salary for pulling off such miracle

Polar Bear

I hate Southampton away, its always an awful game for us, doesn't matter who plays or what form we are in, its always a nightmare Southampton Away.

Danny Ings has been outstanding this season, every time I see him he is on fire, he will hurt us badly I fear. We just have not got the defence to stand up too it

Polar Bear

Southampton could go ahead of us if we lose this match we are 3 points ahead of 16th

we could be 3 points ahead of 16th if we lose and the other teams win, just let that sink in, if anyone is in denial about how far we have dropped and what we have become!!!.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I know everyone's fighting each other to see who can be the most ***** pessimist of them all but until then, I will acknowledge that we can actually win this game if we turn up. I don't go into matches assuming straight away we'll lose.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I don't know why but I'm optimistic about this match, but I think by leaving out Özil our players are starting to learn how to play again and progress the ball, like Saka and Auba's link ups. I expect if we put the same team out with Tierney back in I think the performances will be better. Holding looks like hes regaining form, and I think Arteta will be lighting a fire under the players this week. I expect a big performance and think if we can take our chances we'll put it to bed early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom