PL: Swansea City v Arsenal | January 30, 2018 19:45 GMT

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Match Prediction

Poll closed Jan 30, 2018.
  1. Arsenal Win

75.0%
  2. Draw

11.1%
  3. Swansea Win

13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory The wheel turns Moderator

Yes, but you've wanted that for four years previous as well.

2. GDeep™

GDeep™ Hipster

Nah, just last summer.

Going to have to eat a load of chocolate now to improve my mood. Trying to cut down now I’m in the gym ffs.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  3. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory The wheel turns Moderator

Just wipe your hands so you don't get chocolate all over the equipment.

Makingtrax and GDeep™ like this.
  4. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

We've dropped 15 points from winning positions this season, 15.

With 1/3 of that total, we're in a firm position in relation to the race for a top 4 spot. With 2/3 of that total, we're firmly entrenched in the top 4. With the entirety of that total, we're on the cusp of challenging for the title.

5. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

Missed the game today because of classes. Sounds like it was a blessing that I did.

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  6. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Well-Known Member

My name is Sir Wilfred of House Ndidi and I pledge to avenge this massacre, M'Lord.

BobP likes this.
  7. al-Ustaadh

Would rather have Ndombele.

8. TheLawOfDiQ

TheLawOfDiQ Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter who we sign, nothing will change until Wenger walks. I fkn hope he goes this summer.

9. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Well-Known Member

You cannot kill the Night King.

10. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant

I thought that's exactly what Wenger was intending after losing the title to Leicester City. We were really excruciating slow in transitions which led to some shocking results such as Swansea beating us at home by easily stifling us when we were still very much in the title race.

I'm shocked at how Xhaka is being used here. Complete and utter waste of a purchase.

11. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

I saw him last week against PSG and he was pretty impressive with his drive and technique, but no one would do a proper job here after learning the sideways/slow buildup type of play Wenger teaches them. It's like his goal is to turn every direct player into a swiss army knife and slow him down.

al-Ustaadh likes this.
  12. al-Ustaadh

Total Football (the Cruyffian philosophy) at its finest.

KrissKringle likes this.
  13. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Leave it to Wenger to turn players into jacks of all trades, masters of none.
    With some it might work, but others will feel like they're losing their identity as a player.

14. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

It baffles me when posters make the argument that Wenger has made 'bad signings' or that the vast bulk of the playing squad are just 'not good enough'.

What's the point of persisting with a manager who only is able to bring, what qualifies as success in our case, on the precondition that he has ready made, world class players in every position?

As a club, we've shown that we're more than capable of attracting top performing players from the other European leagues, those who are ready to make the step up.

The question now is, how is it that the likes of Xhaka, Mustafi, and Lacazette can go from being top players in their respective leagues, to looking like absolute fools playing for us?

On Xhaka:

http://bundesligafanatic.com/tactical-analysis-of-gladbach-via-win-over-leverkusen/

Look at how Favre accounts for the frantic pressing of Leverkusen and creates the appropriate structure when playing out from the back.

YeahBee likes this.
  15. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH

My personal ratings

Cech 0/10
    Monreal 4/10
    Mustafi 1/10
    Kos 2/10
    Hector 2/10
    Elneny 5/10
    Xhaka 1/10
    Ramsey 3/10
    Iwobi 0.5/10
    Özil 6/10
    Lacazette 1.5/10

Sub
    Mkhi 4/10
    Giroud 4/10

Coach
    Wenger 0/10

* Steve Bould -1/10
    Seriously though wtf is Bould doing with Arsenal? Isn’t he supposed to be the defending coach? Wtf does he teach the team? To defend like League Two players?

Giroud12 likes this.
  16. Ricardinho

Ricardinho Well-Known Member

That was difficult to stomach tonight. Worst I've seen in a long time, and this during a season with some shocking performances says a lot!

Xhaka! Feeling like I never want to see him in the shirt again. Shame on him for his actions during their equaliser.

Cech is an absolute liability now. Needs replacing first thing this summer. Wonder if there's any polish keepers knocking about...

What a mess. Has drained all excitement for the Aubameyang transfer as I don't see anything changing while Wenger remains.

GeorgiaGunner likes this.
  17. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

18. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk #NeverArteta

Was crestfallen to know that I'll be returning home from work especially late due to the necessity of meeting a project deadline & barely have time to make it in time to watch the match.

It's only after hearing the news on the way to work, courtesy of BBC, I realize that watching the match might've had the adverse effect of me murdering someone (preferably Cech).

The depths we keep sinking to astound even an old stalwart like me these days :lol:

19. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Severe daddy issues

Disruptive Sanchez is gone, and now we have players fighting for the logo and the fans.

James Bond likes this.
  20. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

Yeah... Sanchez wouldn't have won us this match and you know it. The problem was in the middle and the back. We had NO MIDFIELD, which is always our problem when Ramsey plays.

Mitch and <<reed>> like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.