• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wolves vs Arsenal | 07/02/04

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 2,568
A

Anonymous

In the end it was a decent performance and good enough to get the win, but we were far from our best today.

We scored with out first attack of the game, great play by Cole and finish form Dennis, but then we sat back and invited Wolves onto us. They pressured us all over the pitch and won the battle in midfield, and we stuggled to cope with the high ball to Cort. In the first half i think it was the worst defensive display of the season, it was just a good job they are crap. We were second best for the last 20 minutes.

Second half though they ran out of energy and Pat stamped his authority on the game. We scored two quick goals, a nice finish by Henry and Kolo headed into an empty net after great play by Vieira. When we scored the third it was game over and out came the flicks and one twos. Played in second gear for most of the haf.

Reyes came on and looked lively. Didnt really do anything of real note but you can just tell he is just waiting to explode every time he gets the ball. Look out Southampton.

Gilberto played right mid and i dont think he will play there again. He had a very poor game, and looked very short of pace.
Henry was world class yet again, simply the best player in the world.

All in all and decent display in a very tricky atmosphere.

Mark

Established Member
i don't understand why gilberto was on the right. that's madness. i would've thought pires would play there and edu or clichy would play on the left. i was very surprised at that.

JazzG

Established Member
As they say, champions win when they are not at their best. I think that was proven, we aren't playing that well but are still winning games. Obviously I would prefer us to play well and win but as long as we win I'll be happy :)

The pressure is really on Man Utd, their defense looks all over the place and that is 2 very lucky wins on the trot for them. Still we shouldn't pay too much attention to them or our unbeaten streak, just take it one game at a time.

The start we have made is very impressive, at this rate we will finish with over 90 points :shock:

A

Anonymous

Lehmann 7/10. Not a lot to do but what he did he did well enough. No chance with the goal, flapped at a couple of crosses, but caught a couple very well. Good low down save from Cort, and made sure the defense knew what they were doing.

Cole 7/10. Another great game from one of our most consistent players. A couple of misskicks in defense, but apart from that was solid. Great runs down the left, played a vital part in the goal, and nearly scored near the end.

Kolo 6/10. Average from Kolo today imo, but mainly due to the very high standards he has set himself this year. Tried his best against Cort in the air, but came off second best. Also his touch was poor at times, but made up for it with his goal.

Campbell 7.5/10. A rock yet again. A vital block tackle at one all prevented what looked like a certain Wolves goal, and did very well against Cort in the air. Still cant pass the ball though.

Lauren 7/10. Good game from ralph. Gilbero on the right meant Ralph could bomb forward more today, and he whipped in a couple of very good crosses. Got caught out at times in defence, but on the whole was solid.

Pires 6/10. Didnt get the time he needed today, was shut down all the time, meaning it was not one of his best games. Not surprisingly he wanted the ball more when we were 3-1 up.

Edu 6/10. Didnt live up to the high standards he was set recently. The pressure Wolves put on in midfeild meant he lost the ball a few times, but still did not have a bad game. Put his foot in which was good to see.

Vieira 7.5/10. Was excellent in the second half and key to our last two goals. Drove us through when we needed it and was a commanding display. However he was poor in the first half, his passing recently has been crap.

Gilberto 5/10. Not a right midfeilder and looked lost. Not a lot to say really as he didnt to much of note. Improved in the second half, as is the story for most of the team.

Dennis 6.5/10. Scored a great goal, and nearly scored another two great goals. But apart from this his usual game ie his passing was off. Had a chance to play Henry through twice, one horribly sliced and the other over hit. He also looked very very slow.

Henry 8.5/10. Played in bursts first half but was outstanding in the second. Finished his goal very well, and spent most of his time turning Irwin inside out down the left. Played Cole through with a brilliant ball. Running out of things to say about this guy.

Reyes 6/10. Added pace and pressure to our attack which is what we needed. Was caught in possession a couple of times, but is always on the move looking for the ball, and is going to do something special soon. Got through down the left and had a chance to play Henry in, but played it too close to the keeper.

Taozhe

thanks for the match report Sol :)
Good job :)

ALthough I admit Kolo didnt do that well today. But gilberto playing in that position was DEAD AWFUL! Still he had to cover for Ray and Freddie. We should had let lauren play Right Mid and maybe let Hoyte try at right back... oh how I wish :)

Andrew

Agree mostly with those ratings Sol. Except I didn't see Lehmann Flap at any crosses, I thought he caught/punched everything he came for. But the rating you gave him I agree with. The only rating I don't agree with is Edu, I would have give him either 7 or 8 out of 10. He lost the ball a couple of times but his attacking play was good and he helped out the defence Gilberto-style... Always there to clear the long balls. I think he's a real class player lately.

Senght

I don't agree on the 6 you gave Pires though. He was my MOTM for this game. Hardworking and creative, he alwasy looked dangerous and supplied world class through passes. Don't agree on Edu, thought he was awesome today, his through pass set up Cole for the assist. Didn't see Lehmann flap at crosses too, what are you watching?

bobbypires

Established Member
Senght said:
I don't agree on the 6 you gave Pires though. He was my MOTM for this game. Hardworking and creative, he alwasy looked dangerous and supplied world class through passes. Don't agree on Edu, thought he was awesome today, his through pass set up Cole for the assist. Didn't see Lehmann flap at crosses too, what are you watching?

I agree. Pires created the 2nd and the 3rd, Edu was the best in midfield and Lehmann doesn't have work.

pamilih

Pires was class in that game, full of his best creativity albeit not attacking. So 6 was too low a rating.

Stim

AFCG7 said:
actually i saw Lehman flap at one or two .. but he was ok otherwise
Maybe people have different definitions of flapping at crosses. I cant comment though, didn't see the game.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Radio game for me (arrggghhhh!) so I can't really comment on too much, but the view I got was of playing away against a (very) relegation threatened side who've had some results recently and were well up fot it. But we weathered the storm and imposed our game. That'll do for me!

reggiepaul

To add to which they haven't lost at the molineaux since September and upon experience I find that understable. Their fans get behind the team more so than I have seen most fans get behind the team. I don't remember as much noise for a while.

I think Gilberto was placed on the right to get used to the area. He never really drifts right much and needs a little more practice operating on the wing as part of our player everywhere, pass and move versatility thing. I think it highlights Gilberto is in Wengers plans and more so importantly for Europe and the last gasp drift in to the premiership and communication with Reyes when he operates all over the shop - to guarantee and get the best results from central midfield when the supply Reyes up front.

It's development and upgrading the Arsenal team with added extras to Gilberto. A bit like the striker enhancement to Kolo Toure or the left midfield enhancement and fine tuning of Cygan.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
This might be a shock to you but i disagree.

Lauren has been ropey recently, and I think Poly was played there to offer him protection. Poly's donation to our total football creed is the discipline to drop into any defensive situation when a player vacates that rolle to attack. He has no real need to learn how to play right side of a 4-4-2. He is already enough.

reggiepaul

The reason that doesn't make sense to me is why not play Cygan and Sol at the back and put Kolo at right-back so we don't have to pull people around. Looking at Wenger I think it's development rather than supplementation. I think Wenger expects versatility from the squad and as noticed for a few players lately he has been strengthening players in differing positions for future games. I understand that most of the players are fully adaptable anyway but experience breeds capability and our attack was more so strengthened with Gilberto. Personally see him as a concrete wanderer for all occassions.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Because Wenger sees Lauren as the first choice right back, and in a game when he feels he can afford to lose some of the attacking impetus he protects Lauren to give him a good game he can draw confdience from. That is a Wnger decission.

reggiepaul

Nyah - I stick with development for Gilberto - but I can appreciate that the cover was circumstance of it all.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Go on. Change your mind. You know you want to. And you might feel an amazing rush of freedom if you try it. You can see how the developement for Gilberto argument is rather irrelevant and quite erroneous, so why not admit the possibility ... you might be wrong?

reggiepaul

I can't remove the idea that Wenger played someone to be developed for our counter attacking side. Although I can see the cover a player like Gilberto would have in that position for a right back I also see Gilberto playing in a not too usual position for him and it simply smacks of the Gilberto poacher who pops up at the last minute to try and grab a goal - but moved to the right as a provider but it's that back to back wingers and shifting of position with Reyes or Henry. It just appears to me as a development as well. The more I think of it - it seems more and more perfect :D

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Er, cobblers. Ahem. Try it. The abilty to debate issues (and therefore enter a debate admitting the possibility you could be shown to be wrong) is what really separates life forms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom