Players who you rate, but most others (mainly on AM) don't

Discussion in 'Football Talk' started by Jury, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Dokaka

Dokaka AM's resident Hammer

To your first question: That's not what I meant. There's a difference between not rating someone highly and not acknowledging them being an upgrade. I think Vardy is kinda **** but he's still better than our options. It's fair to think Lukaku is not "£60m" good, that's obviously completely subjective, but at the same time it rings a bit hollow when no-one can name a realistic alternative. Hope that makes sense.

Only 5 of Lukaku's goals this season have been headers. Giroud has ironically scored 6 headed goals.

Lukaku isn't just another target man in the style of Giroud, which I feel like many people write him off. Lukaku has started games out wide before, he's quick, mobile, can get it behind a defense, his link-up has improved immensely and he's an absolute bully in the box.

What is exactly is "Giroud like" about this?

[​IMG]

I think it's unfair to put the downsides Giroud brings to the table on Lukaku just because they're both above 6"3. Lukaku's dribbling ability, acceleration and pace is miles ahead of Giroud.

I only have to pop in to the Welbeck thread to see several people argue that Welbeck's pace and movement make your attack look better. Lukaku is like 3x the player Welbeck is, but brings a lot of the same qualities along with the ability to score goals.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Gooner Zig, razörist, Trilly and 5 others like this.
  2. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Giroud is a lot more capable playing for us than Lukaku ever will be and Giroud struggle most of the time.

Anyway its clearly a player you rate but other don't. So I'm not gonna go into some debate about overrated Everton striker! Lets agree to disagree!

3. fabo

fabo 6.51 / 10

How is giroud more capable? He can't run ffs.

4. RoadrunnerReloaded

RoadrunnerReloaded Well-Known Member

Lacazette - been saying we should buy this guy for years but I constantly see some Arsenal fans slag him off even though his style fits much better with the rest of our players than Giroud and his numbers continue to impress.

Higuain - underrated as a signing for us mostly due to his failures at the Argentina national set-up. Reality is Higuain is a beast for league matches. This is the signing that we should have made not Suarez! Cheaper,less drama and we could have afforded both him and Özil that summer if we worked it right. That would have won us the league not the vampire Luis.

Kante - missing out on this one while he went to Leicester was a disgrace

albakos and 4R5Emaniac like this.
  5. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

That doesn't make any sense ffs. You can bet that 99% of this forum rate Lukaku higher than Ox as a player and overall impact. However it depends in terms of what you rate them - if Lukaku was here already, the majority would love him.

But he comes with a price tag playing for another team, and he clearly lacks in many aspects of the game to certainly make it at a big club. That's why he's called a "fraud" at times - in fact that's compliment for him because he's achieving something. You don't see anyone here call Ox a fraud, because quite frankly he hasn't done much.

6. SuperGoon

SuperGoon Debbie Downer

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Trilly likes this.
  7. Kobi

Kobi I Know Who You Are

There's this short bloke at Barcelona, Lionel something, looks useful.

Gooner Zig, say yes and Aevi like this.
  8. Kroket

Kroket Trusty and Sensible Trusted

Always been surprised at the amount of criticism Lukaku gets on here, especially considering the donkeys we've had up front after Van Persie left.

His first touch is inconsistent (at worst) and he has absolutely been too selfish recently but as far as downsides go that's about it for me. Strong, quick, good dribbler, big game player, incredible goalscoring record considering the teams he has played for.

He's probably not worth £70 million to us but I'm going to hate watching him destroy us over and over again when he's back at Chelsea.

9. amirkat

amirkat Well-Known Member

People who don't see the talent in Sterling are crazy to me. I didn't even think £50 million for him was too crazy at that point - he was the most exciting teenager in Europe.

Dunno how people feel about Lallana, but I rate him. I've always liked those players who do everything before someone else places the assist. Nasri, Hleb etc back in the day for us.

I definitely wanted Lukaku last season. Yeah, his first touch is **** sometimes and his lack of vision is shocking, but think of the goals he'd put away with Özil, Alexis etc feeding him. Double figures since he arrived in England.

Gooner Zig and Trilly like this.
  10. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

Probably Abou Diaby.

Plenty on here who don't/didn't rate him, couldn't tell you why...

Tir Na Nog and Dokaka like this.
  11. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Stuck in the friend zone

He's very good.I don't think he was that good when he came to Liverpool and when Rodgers was manager but under Klopp he improved a lot his game.Also in Southampton,he was key player for them when they came back to EPL.Like you said something like Hleb.I don't rate Nasri that much tbh.He's kinda slow and miss something to be complete player.

12. amirkat

amirkat Well-Known Member

Yup, don't remember him being great under Rodgers.

Under Klopp > Southampton >>>>>> Under Rodgers

But he also suits the players he plays with right now - Mane, Firminho etc. As much as I like Lallana, don't think he would look as great at Arsenal.

Notorious Big likes this.
  13. bojed

bojed AM Resident Joker #1 Trusted

JT and Defoe.

14. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

Van Dijk, Wanyama, Fellaini, Lallana, Pogba, Shane Long, Gary Cahill, Sterling. I'd have all those guys in our team/squad

Cech
    Bellerin Van Dijk Koscielny Monreal
    Wanyama Pogba
    Özil
    Sterling Long Alexis

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  15. Wilshere10

Wilshere10 Well-Known Member

Dele Alli and Coutinho. Really badly underrated by some.

16. Rex Banner

Rex Banner YNWA Trusted

Anyone who rags on JT is a f*cking moron through and through. I'd seriously argue the guy is the perfect defender, he defends.

Can't stand all this hipster, wanky bollocks of people who hype up the likes of Pique and Hummels because they're great passers. If they can't defend what's the point?

Gooner Zig, Mitch, say yes and 2 others like this.
  17. bojed

bojed AM Resident Joker #1 Trusted

You understand well my friend.

Many even tried to discredit JT's performance by highlighting he was solid due to Carvalho, Gallas, Cahill and Alex were all willing to do the dirty work for him. While it does hold some legitimate weight, but JT in his prime was literally Chelsea's gatekeeper. People raved about Mert's ability to read the game but honestly, JT used to be on a whole other level for quite some time.

Rex Banner likes this.
  18. Rex Banner

Rex Banner YNWA Trusted

Possibly the best defender of my lifetime, I know that's possibly blasphemy with Sol. Also the likes of Cannavaro and Nesta run him close but he was so good.

Have him above Rio as well, the fact JT is still playing while Ferdinand went off a cliff performance wise once his pace went speaks to his longevity.

Mitch and bojed like this.
  19. say yes

say yes To VAR

Irony is that Terry is probably a better passer than all of them. Glad he's pretty much done now - absolutely ridiculous defender.

bojed and Rex Banner like this.
  20. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Gareth Barry, James Milner, David Luiz, Fellaini, John Stones, Moussa Dembele (Sp**s), Sterling, Willian, Marc Albrighton, Pepe (amazingly some don't rate him).

There's probably loads more but I just can't think of them.