Please start new threads!

Discussion in 'Players' started by kamikaze80, Sep 29, 2008.

1. kamikaze80

kamikaze80 New Member Elite

Everyone:

The player threads have been locked. After much discussion, we have decided to move away from perpetual, catch-all threads for each player, as we felt it discouraged creative posting and made the threads difficult to follow.

From now on, if you have a new subject to discuss that isnt covered by an existing thread, please start a new thread in Arsenal Talk. Thread topics should be fairly specific, otherwise it will defeat the point. Some threads might not catch on, and of course, threads will be shorter-lived, but we feel this will encourage more discussion, more banter and make the forum easier to follow for those of us who have lives ;).

Thanks for your cooperation.

2. albakos

albakos Proud Albanian from Kosova Administrator

Thank you for the good news. I thought of it last evening.

It will bring a more lively atmosphere for discussions

3. Feet

Feet New Member

Can I just clarify something.

Surely the sub-forum "Players" is redundant now if we're not going to have one thread per player, the kind of threads people might post in here would usually just be put in Arsenal Talk right?

One or the other is redundant anyway.

Like if I want to make a thread about say... the Arsenal Captaincy, or preferred strike partners (which are two threads in Arsenal Talk) should they go in here or stay in Arsenal Talk?

I'm not fussed myself, but it's a bit confusing. :)

Thanks

4. James

James New Member Elite

Like you said, this sub forum is now redundant (as far as i know)

Nice one kami.

5. GaelForce22

GaelForce22 New Member Trusted

So if I wanted to make say a 'Eboue is not a midfielder thread' would I do it here on in Arsenal talk?

6. True Gooner

True Gooner New Member Elite

In Arsenal Talk. Never post in here again or bad things will happen to you.

:wink:

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

It seems a strange decision to me, but it is what it is. Also, why not just lock the ability to create new threads in the Players' section? A bit sloppy.

8. arsmile

arsmile Well-Known Member

is this final, or are we trialing it?...seems like a big change- this will almost certainly lead to duplicate discusions going on in various threads- i think it could get real messy...i'm not generally one for change though- but can definitely see this causing far more problems than it solves.

People will post links for news stories/performance anlayses as new threads and they will become players threads in disguise- but there could be 2 or 3 threads for each player-with the same discusions going on in each thread- making them hard to follow, and we know we cant realistically narrow the discussion in any thread as you get led on inevitable organic tangents.

oh well, let's see what happens i guess!

9. Lord Dula

Lord Dula New Member Elite

I fail to see how this will help the quality of posts. If anything it kills debates, and we all know posters like Sabre and Kel love a mass debate or two.

10. James

James New Member Elite

I don't think it's that we're worried about. Just the fact that the player threads dont help to this place being so stale.

11. RC8

RC8 New Member Elite

Many of us never agreed to this idea, but it is what the large majority of trusted members want. I think we should give it a try.

12. raidersoftheark

raidersoftheark New Member

I'm not sure I like this idea. In fact, if anything, it's going to make debates and such much more difficult to follow. I appreciated how streamlined and organized our forum was compared to RedCafe and Rawk for example.

13. RC8

RC8 New Member Elite

Me too, raidersoftheark. I don't have time to go through several repetitive and childish topics every day. But most posters apparently need more threads to keep them motivated, and I think that's understandable.

14. Tony Montana

Tony Montana New Member Elite

Some posters didn't like topics being repeated in 200 page threads. The same arguments going over and over and over in one mammoth thread. There should be separate threads for separare topics in my opinion.

15. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

Yeah but every time there is something you'd like to say about a particular player it will necessitate a new thread or have to be dumped somewhere else. I would have thought a simple encouragement to start new threads would have sufficed. Nothing was stopping this being done in the first place.

16. Platini has invaded Arsenal-Mania

:)

17. RC8

RC8 New Member Elite

I never read the player threads, anyway. I think that nowadays most of the posts in there are gossip and biased perceptions between lovers and haters of each player. I really enjoyed the non-player section of Arsenal Talk while it lasted... generally most of the topics in it were interesting.

But as I said before, I understand that I am in a minority, and the voice of the majority should be heard and obeyed. Most people would like to talk about our players, I guess.

18. AliBabaBrewer

AliBabaBrewer New Member

So instead of discussing things per player, we're now discussing them per issue with a player?

Hell, if we're going to do that, why not just create a sub-forum for each player like you did for 'Matchday' and 'Players'?

I was only just getting used to that from the way it used to be pre-upgrade, and now it's all switching again. It's all getting really bloody confusing.

EDIT: I looked straight back to ArsenalTalk after posting this, and realised there's about 800,000,000 topics. It's going to be a pain in the arse to find the one you specifically one to post in.

I was going to say 'Has anyone read Senderos' comments since joining AC Milan on loan? He's acting as though he's actually been sold to them'. But I'm going to have to look through a few pages to see if there's any on Senderos, and if there is, it might not be specific enough, so I might have to make a new topic to bring it up to 800,000,001.

19. True Gooner

True Gooner New Member Elite

Well, if the topic is not being discussed on the first two pages feel free to start a new one.

The idea behind this is if a topic has been discussed to satisfaction it will drop down and that will, hopefully, help keep discussion fresh.

20. air

air New Member

A hundred-page player thread never really gave you the idea that something was going on in there. A thread with a question, statement or headline makes you read it, even if you don't post anything.