• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

[Poll] Premier League Manager of the season 2008/09

EPL Manager of the Season

• Roy Hodgson

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Tony Pulis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gianfranco Zola

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
There is quite a few managers who have done very well with their teams this year, disregarding trophies for the moment(because Fergie would win that by default) but which managers do you think have done well in terms of performances, league positions, etc.
I can't add a poll, but I'll give some examples and you give your opinions and add any I may have missed.

Roy Hodgson - Amazing what this man has achieved with a club that was facing relegation just last season and now he looks to be sending them into Europe. Incrediblee achievement.

David Moyes - Limited resources, bad luck on the injury front to their strikers, yet still made an FA Cup final and on course to finish 5th/6th.

Zola - Has got West Ham playing some good football

Tony Pulis - for getting Stoke comfortably out of the relegation zone, nothing pretty, but got the job done.

Hiddink - Got Chelsea on the up after some disappointing months in the season.

Phil Brown - for setting a world record in transforming from being a hero into a lying little prick in the space of 90 mins.

Who else do you think has stood out?

Edit: Poll Added

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Re: Premier League Manager of the season 2008/09

Moyes

NWgunner

Would've been Steve Bruce for me, but they've fallen away recently. Still a fantastic achievement by him, with a team many expected to be in the relegation fight after his January sales. Either Pulis or Hodgson, with an honourable mention for Moyes. Why that man doesn't get a shot at a bigger club is beyond me.

DREVAK

Established Member

Benitez. He's a managerial genius. Fact.

DREVAK

Established Member

Seriously now I suppose it's Hodgson for me as well. Everton are doing really well under Moyes. But there's that assumption that they are a stronger team than Fulham and it's to be expected. Which in turn makes Fulham's seventh place look that much more impressive. Zola at West Ham is making them play some solid football and I find it hard not to like the guy but they simply aren't doing as well as Fulham, are they. I wonder what the summer transfer window and next season holds for the Cottagers.

NWgunner

DREVAK said:
Seriously now I suppose it's Hodgson for me as well. Everton are doing really well under Moyes. But there's that assumption that they are a stronger team than Fulham and it's to be expected. Which in turn makes Fulham's seventh place look that much more impressive. Zola at West Ham is making them play some solid football and I find it hard not to like the guy but they simply aren't doing as well as Fulham, are they. I wonder what the summer transfer window and next season holds for the Cottagers.

Very true. West Ham did very poor initially with Zola, and looked to be getting hauled into the relegation fight. Now they're on the outskirts of Europe, and in the last month, they've had a few first teamers out long term, if it wasn't for those injuries, they'd probably have done better. Now which other team does that sound like :lol:

The Summer won't be good for Fulham unfortunately, they simply cannot offer the wages to compete for the best players, and the shrewd signings of Hodgson will no doubt get snatched up and paid double the wages elsewhere. Shame really.

Sover

Tony Pulis for me. Can't stand the man but he has done a fantastic job picking up points. Nothing pretentious, they haven't tried to be anything they're not, just played a long ball percentage game which is what they have the players to do. A bit like Liverpool but without some of the finery.

Second I'd give to Moyes who seems to have had more injuries than us in key positions and still given a good return.

Hodgson a close third.

tam1886

Established Member

Very close run, but Hodgson just pips Moyes to it for me too. I really don't think there's all that much in it, the only difference being that Everton have been steady and consistent, whereas Hodgson has transformed them from relegation battlers to Euro challengers.

Kain

Established Member

Hodgson for me aswell, its close call between him and Moyes i think both have done well withing the confines of each teams resources but Hodgson told Jamie Redknapp and put him in his place which scored him extra points.

NWgunner

Not much love for Steve Bruce on here... the man's taken relegation contenders to the fringes of europe until recently despite selling three very good players in January

fabo

6.51 / 10

No Fergie?!?!

Surely, if United win the CL again it puts him ahead of the rest. But I guess because he's spent massive amounts of money it downplays his achievements in some people's eyes.

Hodgson, Moyes, Bruce and Tony Pulis deserve mentions aswell.

Redknapp? :wink: ...didn't think so!

Kain

Established Member

Steve Bruce had to sell to many influential players, but more importantly there recent form has been really terrible, just based on recent form alone he'd be off the list, he did have a terrific opening to the 08/09 season though.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member

fabo said:
No Fergie?!?!

Surely, if United win the CL again it puts him ahead of the rest. But I guess because he's spent massive amounts of money it downplays his achievements in some people's eyes.

Hodgson, Moyes, Bruce and Tony Pulis deserve mentions aswell.

Redknapp? :wink: ...didn't think so!

Oh yeah, him too (Ferguson not Redknapp)

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member

ibby said:
Moyes, excellent manager.

I think Moyes wins according to the complex success to resources formula which I've just spent five hours working on. Hodgson has done brilliantly, but Moyes has his team in an FA Cup final (we can't even manage that) and cruising into Europe (and all on a shoestring). We tend to forget that a lot of people were fearing for Everton's season due to their limited budget and recruitment at the start. Moyes overcame that, then he overcame some devastating injuries that bigger clubs would have struggled to handle. I still don't fully understand how he manages to get so much out of some players who I've always felt were decent but not great. As for Pulis - a job well done, avoided relegation with a few games to spare, but it happens. He's hardly a miracle-worker imo.

ibby

Established Member

Arteta out for a large part of the season too.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member

Hodgson, Pulis and Fergie for me.

If Fergie wins the CL again he'd have to take it outright.

Top Bottom