• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

[Poll] Premier League Manager of the season 2008/09

EPL Manager of the Season

• Roy Hodgson

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Tony Pulis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gianfranco Zola

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

NWgunner

Re: Premier League Manager of the season 2008/09

Stevo the Villan said:
I'm sure if Villa hadn't have been challenging Arsenal at that time, this myth wouldn't have surfaced on here. No other team's fans seem to think we were inexplicably lucky.

Yes we got the rub of the green at times, every team does at some point in a season. But the idea that we didn't do anything ourselves and everything was luck that is thrown around on here is farcical. That so called luck has been more than cancelle dout in the last 15 games.

I partially agree with what you are saying, but half the reason Villa's games got hyperanalysed by Arsenal fans is because of our tussle for fourth. I agree luck evens itself out over a season, but I do remember you having a horrendously lucky run of a good number of games (gifted goals from backpasses, enormous deflections etc). Like I said, the reason Gunners go on about this is because it didn't really matter to most opposition clubs.

To be fair, I can remember Arsenal getting some lucky breaks in recent league games, but nothing like what Villa expierenced. While I appreciate you'll dismiss that as fan bias, I do try and be objective :)

On topic: Yes, O'Neill's done a decent job, but you can't get credit for an excellent start and not get slated for a bad finish. You get judged on the whole, and on the whole he's done ok. Nothing spectacular, you were always expected to be roughly where you are, and the man spends too.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member

NWgunner said:
On topic: Yes, O'Neill's done a decent job, but you can't get credit for an excellent start and not get slated for a bad finish. You get judged on the whole, and on the whole he's done ok. Nothing spectacular, you were always expected to be roughly where you are, and the man spends too.

Exactly right. And if I implied earlier that O'Neill should be on the list then I didn't mean to. He certainly isn't in the top managers in the league this season. If you'd asked me in february I'd have said differently, but as you said, season as a whole, we're where we were expected to be.

Then again, so are Everton, I guess the difference is the resources (although Everton aren't as poor as they like to make out)

alonso14

Established Member

Stevo the Villan said:
NWgunner said:

Exactly right. And if I implied earlier that O'Neill should be on the list then I didn't mean to. He certainly isn't in the top managers in the league this season. If you'd asked me in february I'd have said differently, but as you said, season as a whole, we're where we were expected to be.

Then again, so are Everton, I guess the difference is the resources (although Everton aren't as poor as they like to make out)

they are just a shower of ****s

if I see another "FOLLOW THE BLUES TO WEMBLEY" flag sticking out of a car window then I may commit a murder

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Up until january O'Neill looked like a genuine contender for manager of the season for me. He didn't do too well in the january window though. Everybody knew that he needed a striker who would be good for 5-10 goals and he signed - Heskey. Of all people. I'm pretty sure that the competition for 4th spot would have been much tighter had he signed someone else.

I think O'Neill deserves a lot of credit for the quality Villa possess. They're a better team on their day than Everton. Everton has got better consistency though and I think Moyes has proved to be both a bit more proactive and reactive overall. It's a tough race between the two. To say that Redknapp, Bruce and Pulis are better managers than O'Neill is just silly though.

IBL

Established Member
Hodgson. He took a relegation fodder team and took them into europe within a couple of seasons and not much money spent.

Hoyes has done exceptionally well again. O'Neil would have come into the reckoning had his team not gone completely off the boil in the final third of the season.

bertlb2

Steve Clarke. It is not rocket science, Chelsea became a mess after he left until Hiddink, the world's best manager imo, took over. And WHU was going nowhere before he arrived. Zola deserves plaudits, but Clarke played a huge role.

atmosphere

Hodgson without a doubt. From a great escape last season to 7th this season is nothing short of a miracle. Who could've predicted that?

Although I have a lot of respect for Moyes for having the best mad stary eyes in the league since Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and also managing to keep Everton competitive on a budget consisting of two bob and an orange, I guess where they finish up is where everyone expects them to finish and probably where they *should* be finishing. So he gets second place with an added merit for the eyes.

dbig

Tough call. I voted for Moyes. Think he has done an excellent job at Everton.

Hodgson has managed to form a very good team with excellent team-work and discipline at Fulham, but he also has had the rub of the green this season in terms of injuries. 8 of his players have managed to start over 30 games in the league this season and that has contributed a lot to the stability of the team.

GaelForce22

Established Member
I voted for other, Ferguson has managed his squad perfectly this season. The fact that they were one game away from playing in every possible game of every trophy this season is remarkable. I know that he's had more to spend than nearly every other manager, but what he's done with that money is build a squad capable of winning everything while playing good football and bringing through youth.

Considering Zola's there, Fergie really should be on the list.

Proof

Established Member
It's unbelievable how Ferguson manages to remotivate his squad every season after they had won the major competitions, he definitely deserves to be on the list.

Kain

Established Member
Original post mentions Ferguson, threadmaker has not been ignorant to leave him off on purpose.

Unforgiven

Established Member
For me I think Ferguson should be regarded for being able to make a large squad to win competitions and most importantly to be able to rotate his squad. He can rotate his squad the entire season and get the results and not even getting them burnt out. Yes he has the money to buy players to make a good large squad but he manages it very well.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
It's Hodgson 0 Moyes 1 at the moment...I know Everton have a better team and more resources, but I really think that Moyes should be winning this thing...

Top Bottom