• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Portuguese Football

Giroud

Established Member
Big game today with Porto travelling to Sporting. Joel Campbell on the bench for the home side but new signing Bas Dost will have to wait until next week to make his debut. Porto with a lot of young attacking talent so fingers crossed for a good result.

Schumacher

Played for 20 minutes, caused a major roar in the stadium with his first intervention (a sliding tackle to stop an attack). Didn't have much of the ball (his team was winning and had a more cautious approach in the final minutes), still had a shot from distance that wasn't far from goal, and was involved in a 3 on 2 counter where he couldn't control the ball (although not entirely his fault, since the pass was too late and not with the right direction given Joel's run). He worked hard and is already a fan favorite.

Giroud

Established Member
Campbell comes on as a sub and equalises in the 96th minute. The replacements for Joao Mario and Slimani just not really up for it. Campbell hasn't featured much but with the way results are going for them at the moment it wouldn't be a surprise to see him more often sooner rather than later.

Giroud

Established Member
Campbell still not getting a proper look in. On the bench for the big derby game against Benfica. Kick off in a few minutes.

Giroud

Established Member
Campbell on at half time. Sporting down 1 nil after a super counter attack from Benfica.

Giroud

Established Member
Campbell gets in behind, cuts the ball back and Bas Dost rattles the post in the first minute of the second half. 30 seconds later Benfica go down the other end of the pitch and go 2-0 up through Raul Jimenez.

Keplaz

I couldn't believe this when I saw it. This was a shocker. How could this have been sanctioned? It ruins the integrity of the league. And completely ignores the health and wellbeing of the players.

I think we were in a similar situation for the Brentford game but not to this extent.

Reactions: A_G

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I see Sporting smashed Benfica away last night. Apparently Amorim now has a higher win percentage in Portugal than Mourinho. Doing well in the CL as well.

Interested to see whether he turns out to be more AVB than Jose but I imagine someone will make a move for him soon enough.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
I see Sporting smashed Benfica away last night. Apparently Amorim now has a higher win percentage in Portugal than Mourinho. Doing well in the CL as well.

Interested to see whether he turns out to be more AVB than Jose but I imagine someone will make a move for him soon enough.
I like him but he's too defensive for my liking but he's def quality coach

I like FC Porto Manager Sergio Conceciao, helped FC Porto win league title after 5 year drought and has done fantastic in Europe. Plays attacking 442 football. Would love him to replace Arteta!

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I like him but he's too defensive for my liking but he's def quality coach

I like FC Porto Manager Sergio Conceciao, helped FC Porto win league title after 5 year drought and has done fantastic in Europe. Plays attacking 442 football. Would love him to replace Arteta!

Totally forgot Conceicao was at Porto, good player back in the day. Nice to see the league being very competitive at the top.

When the time comes to replace Arteta I'd rather go down the proven route. Either of these could of course turn into great coaches whenever they move on from Portugal but I don't think it's a gamble we could risk right now.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
Totally forgot Conceicao was at Porto, good player back in the day. Nice to see the league being very competitive at the top.

When the time comes to replace Arteta I'd rather go down the proven route. Either of these could of course turn into great coaches whenever they move on from Portugal but I don't think it's a gamble we could risk right now.
Who's available that is proven though? Zidane and who? We're not going to take a mangaer off of top club if that's what you're thinking and Zidane def isn't coming here if he rejected Man U.

I like to see your list of options.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Who's available that is proven though? Zidane and who? We're not going to take a mangaer off of top club if that's what you're thinking and Zidane def isn't coming here if he rejected Man U.

I like to see your list of options.

Sorry by proven I meant Premier League proven. Our last 2 haven't been and we've seen how that's turned out. I don't think we could afford to risk it again unless it was someone of the ability of Klopp when he came to England. Obviously their isn't any of them available and willing right now.

Realistically Conte would've been my first choice but with him off the table I'd lean towards Potter now. Leicester have dropped a bit so far this season but still think Rodgers would be a good target as well.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
Sorry by proven I meant Premier League proven. Our last 2 haven't been and we've seen how that's turned out. I don't think we could afford to risk it again unless it was someone of the ability of Klopp when he came to England. Obviously their isn't any of them available and willing right now.

Realistically Conte would've been my first choice but with him off the table I'd lean towards Potter now. Leicester have dropped a bit so far this season but still think Rodgers would be a good target as well.
Going with a premier league proven manager is a safer route and I understand that analsysis

Emery was actually decent. Took a team to Europa League final and should of made top 4 but the team choked as players have weak mentality

Then 2nd season was a disaster and he had to go. Main issue with Emery was lack of English and we allowed way too many shots on goal.

Arteta is a rookie with no exp. I likes the hire because he was assistant to Pep and I thought he was going to bring in new ideas and play good football. Reality is he plays boring football and is a dictator while learning in job. (I underrated the fact of him having no first team managerial experience would be big problem!)

If Arsenal had to go to Premier League proven route, I'd look into Graham Potter and Brentford manager.

But I really want FC Porto manager because he plays fantastic football and done great in Europe! Main issue is if he can speak English, if he does. I think he'd be a home run hire!

Latest posts+

Top Bottom