• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Post COVID-19 Can we win the league?

Can we win the league in the next few seasons?

• Total voters

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This unfortunate turmoil has opened up a sliver of opportunity for the clubs to consolidate their positions.

There are a few retirements and ongoing upheaval at other clubs which will be exacerbated in the next season or two. Also, the smaller clubs will be more likely focussed on financial stability so we might be able to get a few cheaper transfers

We seem to have a little advantage over others that our youth group is very talented.

I personally think, with a few good signings, we might be able to really have a good challenge for the league in the next few seasons.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I don't think so we first need major overhaul in squad and more ambition from owner. We are miles behind top 2 even still behind Chelsea and manutd

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
At the minute our first goal should be to reestablish ourselves as a Champions League team again...if that's possible, then we can see what we can do from there...you never know.

Last edited:

TheEconomist

Established Member
City and Liverpool won't be able to keep up their dominance forever and they will fall back down again, we just don't know whether that will be next year or in 5 years. In the meantime we're seeing lots of clubs who we wouldn't expect pushing for top places, so there's no reason why we can't. Money isn't a good enough excuse if there's teams with less money doing better than us

DasBootist

I don't think so we first need major overhaul in squad and more ambition from owner. We are miles behind top 2 even still behind Chelsea and manutd
Looking at the table for the year 2020, we're in fourth with 29 points. The top three consists of Liverpool (38 points), Man City (34 points) and Man United (31 points). Considering this is Arteta's first managerial job, the gap doesn't seem insurmountable assuming we make the right signings in the window.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If we get a couple of good windows on the bounce maybe we see a challenge up till Christmas or something. To win the league as an underdog feel you need a **** load of luck.

Seen Leicester brought up a few times recently... They were a good team but really had a free run at it. City 66, United 66, Chelsea 50 points is crazy. Us being second with 11 draws & 7 defeats speaks volumes.

Will be interesting to see how we replace Auba either this summer or 24/48 months time. Can see the ownerships intentions then.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
This topic is way too premature.

If we don't do well this summer window we will struggle to even finish top4.

With Arteta I'm somewhat optimistic, although our management has yet to impress.

I think there is a 3 year path to challenging if things go well:
1. top 4
2. top 4 while reaching knock-out in CL
3. challenge top 3 and semi-finals CL

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Seen Leicester brought up a few times recently... They were a good team but really had a free run at it. City 66, United 66, Chelsea 50 points is crazy. Us being second with 11 draws & 7 defeats speaks volumes.

I agree that was a poor season, maybe even the worst in the Premier League era...but I don't think a smaller points tally from the top teams always means the best teams aren't strong.

Look at our 1998 team (78 points) or United's 1999 team (79 points), they both won the league with less points than Leicester did in 2016...but I would say both those teams, plus the league as a whole were significantly stronger than the 2016 season even if the points were around the same.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

United are looking strong and will strengthen further. Chelsea will splash some big cash. Top 4 looks nearly impossible at the moment as we just made signing and contract extensions (Saka aside) that put us in a weaker position as we can't now make decent signings instead in those positions.

On top of that we just never ever get the luck some of the teams get above us with VAR, penalties and injuries.

Next season top 6 will be a struggle. Some very clever signings over the next 2-3 years might get us back in to top 4.

How you can even bring up the title with Liverpool and City dominating I don't know.

The average point total of league winners in the last 5 seasons is about 94. Lets say we win our last 2 games thats 59 points. What do we need to do to gain 35 points per season?

Reactions: roz

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I agree that was a poor season, maybe even the worst in the Premier League era...but I don't think a smaller points tally from the top teams always means the best teams aren't strong.

Look at our 1998 team (78 points) or United's 1999 team (79 points), they both won the league with less points than Leicester did in 2016...but I would say both those teams, plus the league as a whole were significantly stronger than the 2016 season even if the points were around the same.
Yeah the big clubs were a mess with managers on the out. Pretty sure Pep, Mourinho & Conte all came in that summer.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Last year people said top 4 would never be as easy to attain yet 3rd was there for the taking again in 19/20. Impossible to predict next season but Liverpool will drop off just like City did after nearly 200 points in 2 seasons. The signs are already there for them.

Jasard

Last year people said top 4 would never be as easy to attain yet 3rd was there for the taking again in 19/20. Impossible to predict next season but Liverpool will drop off just like City did after nearly 200 points in 2 seasons. The signs are already there for them.

Liverpool could have lost another 20 points this season and still have won the league, they've got some room to drop off.

I think the biggest question is can United keep this form going in to the new season and maintain it?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I even think Pool were a lot better last season in my opinion.
They grinded out a lot of wins off the back of their aura alone in the second half of this season where as they were blowing everyone away in the CL winning season and the start of this one.

The signs of decline are definitely there but they might freshen up the squad this summer, they are certainly in the position to.

Jasard

I don't think there is any point in us thinking about City and Liverpool when we have 7 other clubs above us to worry about first. What can we do to say, grab another 10 points a season? Or perhaps more to the point, what can we do to not drop 10 of the points we dropped this season?

Our goals conceded isnt actually appalling, the bigger issue is how we concede some the goals. Actually our goals scored is what is **** when you look purely at the numbers.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Liverpool could have lost another 20 points this season and still have won the league, they've got some room to drop off.
Well if they lost 20 points they'd be behind Man City. My point is that City got 100 points followed by 98 points, but the most they can get this yera is 81. It's tough to stay at that level for more than two seasons I think, the pressure to win every game must be draining mentally. City will probably spend big and win the league next season to go along with Liverpool dropping off.
I think the biggest question is can United keep this form going in to the new season and maintain it?
Less likely if they don't get CL.

Jasard

Well if they lost 20 points they'd be behind Man City. My point is that City got 100 points followed by 98 points, but the most they can get this yera is 81. It's tough to stay at that level for more than two seasons I think, the pressure to win every game must be draining mentally. City will probably spend big and win the league next season to go along with Liverpool dropping off.

Less likely if they don't get CL.

Haha knew you would say that, 2 games to go so would be there to fight for. But yeah even if they drop off for a couple of years we are so far behind it doesn't mean much to us

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Haha knew you would say that, 2 games to go so would be there to fight for. But yeah even if they drop off for a couple of years we are so far behind it doesn't mean much to us
It's not about overtaking Liverpool right now, that's a longer-term goal. Although if Arteta builds well then this team could be peaking just as Liverpool are looking to replace VVD/Salah/Mane etc as they enter their 30's.

Things change quickly in football, in May 2016 Liverpool had a squad full of deadwood finishing 8th and losing the EL Final. Just two years later they reached the CL Final and finished 6 points off 2nd.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The answer for me is and always will be yes. We have a good squad of players. Weve just needed the right manager who can extract that extra bit from them. Get them off relying on talent but applying hard work. Man city and Liverpool dont rely solely on talent. They work hard for each other and too often over the years we havent worked hard enough for each other.

Change that, stream line the squad as well. Weve about 18 good players and 5 very good players. Cut 5 good players and add 3 very good players you begin to have a starting 11 capable of beating most teams.

Reactions: roz
Top Bottom