• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pre-Season 18/19

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

14th July Boreham Wood vs Arsenal
26th July Arsenal vs Atletico Madrid
28th July Arsenal vs Psg
1st August Arsenal vs Chelsea

Delighted to see Arsenal playing in Dublin really hope I can get down to it. The Emirates Cup is also likely to be sandwiched inbetween the 14th and 26th.

Hard to believe our pre season will kick off for the World Cup final and with some big games in there it'll give Emery a good chance to assess his players. Although pre season should be used for nothing more than fitness and a chance to experiment given the fact we've a new manager every game will be different for the players.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Main thing I'm looking to see this preseason is which of the younger players outside the fringes of the first team look the likeliest of breaking in. Smith-Rowe, Amaechi and DaSilva are the 3 of great interest to me not currently too close, while Nelson, Willock and Nketiah are already in and around.

Additionally, it will be intriguing to see the shape going in. It won't necessarily be a strong indication as to what the shape will be when the season eventually starts, but it's something to look at nonetheless.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
14th July Boreham Wood vs Arsenal
26th July Arsenal vs Atletico Madrid
28th July Arsenal vs Psg
1st August Arsenal vs Chelsea

Delighted to see Arsenal playing in Dublin really hope I can get down to it. The Emirates Cup is also likely to be sandwiched inbetween the 14th and 26th.

I think I heard there will be no Emirates Cup this year because of some work at the stadium, but it must be me imagining it since I can't find any news about that info now. There should be a game or two squeezed in between those dates anyway.

This is the pre-season I am really looking forward to. We will have a lot of exciting youngsters, new signings, new system and coach, and a lot of main players will also be involved. What's not to like? The games are juicy too - especially Emery vs Tuchel duel on 28th.

Impact

Established Member
Main thing I'm looking to see this preseason is which of the younger players outside the fringes of the first team look the likeliest of breaking in. Smith-Rowe, Amaechi and DaSilva are the 3 of great interest to me not currently too close, while Nelson, Willock and Nketiah are already in and around.

Additionally, it will be intriguing to see the shape going in. It won't necessarily be a strong indication as to what the shape will be when the season eventually starts, but it's something to look at nonetheless.

I think DaSilva is more promising than Willock but lacks the self-assuredness to impose his talent at the minute. Interested to see if a micro-manager like Emery can get the best out of him. I would also add Sheaf to your list. Think he's excellent. Technically proficient and physically imposing. Can see him taking Maitland-Niles' defensive utility-man role this season.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm curious to see if Emery uses pre season to the same extent Wenger did with the young guns. Especially in his first season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think DaSilva is more promising than Willock but lacks the self-assuredness to impose his talent at the minute. Interested to see if a micro-manager like Emery can get the best out of him. I would also add Sheaf to your list. Think he's excellent. Technically proficient and physically imposing. Can see him taking Maitland-Niles' defensive utility-man role this season.
Willock is definitely the more confident one, whenever the two were a pairing, he was often on the front foot. He trusts his technique more, which isn't surprising given not too long ago he was a diminutive winger/#10 before his growth spurt.

DaSilva on the other hand is much more used to his size and uses it quite well when pushed to, but he is a bit more reserved and indecisive in comparison when in possession. He has the same strengths as Willock, and is bigger in size and strength, but Willock IMO makes better decisions in possession. DaSilva dwells a lot, but when he's on his game, he's very difficult to play against. I'd say at current, there's very little to separate them.

I also agree with you on Ben Sheaf. He's definitely under the radar as far as our prospects go and has been for a long time. But he's one of the most technically secure, can play in all the defensive positions and in midfield, and is a strong athlete to match. I would hope Emery has an eye on him. I think he's a better defender than Maitland-Niles is and could easily find himself in that utility role if he pulls up enough trees. He's also capable of playing a high tempo game.

I'm curious to see if Emery uses pre season to the same extent Wenger did with the young guns. Especially in his first season.
Me too. Remains to be seen. I'm hopeful simply because Gazidis will have pushed home the point on bringing through our own, and Emery himself seems to have indicated that he's up to the challenge of bringing through academy players and getting the best out of them.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I like that we play Atletico, Chelsea and PSG. Good tough opponents to get us focussed early. I know they will sprinkle youth in their teams as well but it really sets the tone for the season coming. I don't feel we gain too much from playing sides we can thrash at full strength. It isn't about winning. It is about getting up to speed and what better way to do that than to face equal or better competition.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I have seen the officially released list, disappointing about Wilshere Cazorla & Per but is it true Per still stayed at the club & part of our academy?

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Big day coming up with the squad probably just getting ready to meet their new manager for the first time.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom