• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pre-Season 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,318
  • Views 154,665

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Our fans are getting so gassed because we beat sides that were not taking the match seriously lmao, a humbling on Friday is incoming.
Chelsea and Sevilla looked like they were taking it seriously, Chelsea putting in late tackles making last ditch tackles, making tactical fouls etc. Sevilla surrounding the ref for decisions etc etc....

For the first time in years we're targeting the first few games and we're coming in to the first match with a strong first 11 who are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

There a big difference between pressing Tavares vs Zinchenko and marking Lacazette vs Jesus, how many problems came from players not being able to deal with the early Palace press and us having no threat up front? We're not looking like we're gonna get caught off guard again.

I think everyone is allowed a bit of optimism.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Biggest difference i've noticed is we are flooding the box with players.
Definitely - huge factor....also helped by the fact that Eddie, Jesus and Martinelli are all happy to run to the front post and the six yard box. Compare to Auba who only ever went back post or centrally, or Laca who pulled out to the penalty spot or deeper. Our guys now are pulling opposition defenders closer to their own goal, so it creates space for Ødegaard (and even Xhaka) to arrive late and create more numbers. Such a huge change from the last two years of two guys in the box most of the time.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Not too many conclusions to draw about league performance, but its clear our attack functions much better with Jesus than anyone who's been at the club post Wenger. Its also clear that White is a genuine option as an inverted full back, available because Saliba (though untested) looks like a rolls royce player. Super smooth and composed. Impressive to see Xhaka adapting further to his new role.

Of course there is huge central pillar of the elephant in the room, but given the difficulty of recruiting an adequate alternative to potentially mostly sit on the bench, nothing will happen until more is clear. Beyond that, we could use one more attacking player with pace and goals - a real provoker who can both beat a man and run in behind (unless Pepe magically finds more consistent in game intelligence and a more efficient style), because Riess Nelson ain't that.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Our fans are getting so gassed because we beat sides that were not taking the match seriously lmao, a humbling on Friday is incoming.
This would make sense if the mentality of the fanbase was the mentality of the players, but they get paid very well to be top of their game mentally and physically, so I expect them to take it seriously and to win.

Legend14

Established Member
It’s always good to see the team win, all I’m saying is we shouldn’t write too much into pre-season. When the games don’t matter then the results and performances are largely irrelevant. Pre-season outcomes are no indication of how the season’s going to go.
Usually, I would agree. What is different from this season and past seasons is that we are ready to go for next weekend. We are fit and have a starting 11 that looks already in midseason form. This will get us off to a good start. Any teams that have done less than us should be fearful.

I give Arteta credit for having us ready. I think Crystal Palace will find out that we are not last years squad.

MikeVinna

Established Member
We could very well lose against Palace, such is the strength and unpredictability of the league. What’s clear, though, is that we’re in much better shape going in than in previous seasons. Let’s just hope for the best form on the day and hit the ground running. Last seasons opener really set the mood for a dissappointing season to come.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
We'll know more about where this team is at after the Palace game for sure. Pre-season games are a really poor indicator of overall performance levels, I've been stung so many times by pre-season hype. But that said, we've got a settled team with most of our first 11 fit and GJ seems to have really elevated our attacking play already.

Quietly confident that we'll get a decent win against Palace and then capitalise on our gentle early fixtures

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Maybe because there no number 8 quality wise but we need someone who add more going forward xhaka also will be here until next summer . If Partey situation and performance gone downhill just go in January and activate Sangare release clause
Sangare :lol:

Yousif the youtube scout :lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yeah I just find it very sad that after putting together a promising young team they can't enjoy some optimism. I've not been as excited at seeing what an Arsenal team can do for a long time.
I agree. After several years of frustration last year really felt like a turning point. Fans bonded with a young and likable team. The mood at the Emirates seemed great. I could often hear the crowd be very load even when only watching on TV. I personally love the players we have right now. Saka, Ramsdale, Gabi 1, 2 and 3 etc. Just a likable group. Heck, I am even warming to the owners and Xhaka! Imagine that! 😆

What I don't understand from many posters here is the utmost love spent nursing old grievances, real and imagined. Instead of trying to enjoy the direction and journey we are on with the club they want to be miserable and downbeat. All for some f-ed up reasons like having high enough expectations etc. Well, to everyone their own I guess... 🤨

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
There is a facet of Man City and Liverpools game that we have been unable to replicate until now. We simply haven't had the full backs to switch play.

Zinchenko to Saka is going to happen ALOT. We are going to isolate Saka and Martinelli 1v1 vs their fullback a lot this season.

It's why we need one more devastating winger. I don't see the need for a winger/CF cover. We need someone who gets 1v1 and destroys fullbacks. That isn't Gakpo.

Even someone like Doku. A 1v1 demon.

CHO would be more choice, but he isn't leaving.
If rumours are true that Inter need to sell Dumfries, he could be perfect for upgrading the right side of our attack, while providing a top level alternative to Tomiyasu that we desperately lack.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If rumours are true that Inter need to sell Dumfries, he could be perfect for upgrading the right side of our attack, while providing a top level alternative to Tomiyasu that we desperately lack.
Isn't Ben White a good option? I think he has been playing well in the RB role.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Isn't Ben White a good option? I think he has been playing well in the RB role.
Not entirely convinced by him in 1 on 1 off the ball defensive situations. He still has a tendency to make rash decisions and dive in. That’s **** against some of the more direct wingers in this league.

On the ball he’s very good but plays more of an inverted style and covers the right half space, much like Tomiyasu. As we have 2 left footed offensive players on the right who also like to drift inside, I’d like to see us open up that flank with a player who plays more on the extremities like a wing back.

It would require another more mobile CM but I think worth it.

Top Bottom