• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pre-season Friendly #3: Chivas de Guadalajara vs Arsenal FC - Aug. 1st, 2:00am (UK )

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Fun 2nd half but meh overall for me.

Elnenny looked good again but still looking a bit lightweight on duels. Great goal from Ox.

Mixed feelings on Akpom. Great desire and acceleration in the box. Made some really good short runs. Liked some of his give and gos. But his general play is lacking as much as Theo's is right now. Scuffing easy passes and snatched at an opportunity he should have done better with. He has to play with more composure and conviction.

He at least has poaching to hang his hat on for now, that could be his bread and butter. But he must stop snatching at his shots. Keep making the runs and dont **** yourself. Composure and conviction.

Liked Jeff and Zelalem when they came on. Wish Willock got more possession.

BobP

Memri Fan
Holding reminds me of quality English CBs of years gone by in the sense that when we're pegged back in our penalty box, he'd block and clear everything which came his way

Sort of like Cahill and Terry in their prime.

Xhaka is a beautiful player.

Ox is in good form, we know he has the quality but it's all about translating that into something tangible when the season begins.

BobP

Memri Fan
I'm a stickler for vertical and horizontal compactness when defending.

Why? Because it limits the space in which the opposition have to play in between the vertical and horizontal spaces. In addition, it enables proactive defending, as you can guide the opposition into the areas in which you want them to play in.

Furthermore such compactness provides the basis for a strong transition game, as compactness leads to the overload of the opposition. In addition, the narrow player support available to you makes it easier to play out because of the multitude of options which you are immediately surrounded by.

We don't adhere to any such principles and that is to our detriment.

When the opposition had possession of the ball near the corner flag but diagonal to the penalty box, you'd see one of our fullbacks, in this case Debuchy, move out to engage this opposition, the right winger, in this case Campbell would track back to assist.

This led to the formation of a massive gap between Debuchy and Holding.

A temporary solution would have been Campbell orientating himself towards that gap as opposed to double teaming Debuchy's opponent.

A more concrete solution would have been the entire teams shape shifting to the right.

I definitely saw Holding look to his right and then to his left, he was clearly conscious of this gap but had no idea what to do. If he shifted to his right, but Bielik didn't follow, a massive gap would emerge between the two CBs, if he doesn't move, the massive gap which existed between himself and Debuchy would persist.

All it takes is an under lapping run by an opposition player, and a simple sideways path by the ball carrier to completely undo our already unsettled defense.

This isn't something which was only evident in this game, it's a recurring pattern in our play.

Our pressing is also an absolute mess, you see those on the front line press, with the intention of winning the ball on their own, which does nothing but leave gaps. There is no realistic chance of them individually winning the ball when they are absolutely outnumbered by opposition defenders and midfielders.

There's a complete lack of individual intelligence when pressing. By this I mean surveying the positioning of the passing options available to the opposition ball carrier and directing the ball carrier to pass into areas where they are at their least threatening or where they feel their teammates have a good chance of winning the ball back.

None of this exists.

It's just a bunch of players doing their own thing on the field.

Not even sure what Wenger does in training.

illmatik

Established Member
I honestly hate Warren Barton. He's the Jeremy Wilson of colour commentators. Just rounds up every outdated cliche.

The absolute worst, I'm glad someone else picked up on it, I am so glad FS lost coverage of the Premier League because I couldn't take anymore of him nor Wynalda

illmatik

Established Member
For the criticism regarding Akpom, as long as if he's getting in the right positions for the goals, that's all that matters to me, as time goes on I'm sure he will improve in other areas, but the boy knows how to score

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'm a stickler for vertical and horizontal compactness when defending.

Why? Because it limits the space in which the opposition have to play in between the vertical and horizontal spaces. In addition, it enables proactive defending, as you can guide the opposition into the areas in which you want them to play in.

Furthermore such compactness provides the basis for a strong transition game, as compactness leads to the overload of the opposition. In addition, the narrow player support available to you makes it easier to play out because of the multitude of options which you are immediately surrounded by.

We don't adhere to any such principles and that is to our detriment.

When the opposition had possession of the ball near the corner flag but diagonal to the penalty box, you'd see one of our fullbacks, in this case Debuchy, move out to engage this opposition, the right winger, in this case Campbell would track back to assist.

This led to the formation of a massive gap between Debuchy and Holding.

A temporary solution would have been Campbell orientating himself towards that gap as opposed to double teaming Debuchy's opponent.

A more concrete solution would have been the entire teams shape shifting to the right.

I definitely saw Holding look to his right and then to his left, he was clearly conscious of this gap but had no idea what to do. If he shifted to his right, but Bielik didn't follow, a massive gap would emerge between the two CBs, if he doesn't move, the massive gap which existed between himself and Debuchy would persist.

All it takes is an under lapping run by an opposition player, and a simple sideways path by the ball carrier to completely undo our already unsettled defense.

This isn't something which was only evident in this game, it's a recurring pattern in our play.

Our pressing is also an absolute mess, you see those on the front line press, with the intention of winning the ball on their own, which does nothing but leave gaps. There is no realistic chance of them individually winning the ball when they are absolutely outnumbered by opposition defenders and midfielders.

There's a complete lack of individual intelligence when pressing. By this I mean surveying the positioning of the passing options available to the opposition ball carrier and directing the ball carrier to pass into areas where they are at their least threatening or where they feel their teammates have a good chance of winning the ball back.

None of this exists.

It's just a bunch of players doing their own thing on the field.

Not even sure what Wenger does in training.
Honestly, he leaves that defensive stuff up to the players. It's insanity.

He needs to realise he doesn't have as many intelligent players as he used to, we desperately need more instruction. Wenger gives us a good framework, it's impressive how high we finish in the league despite lacking a clear structured
approach to attacking and defending.

Makes you wonder what we could do and where we would be if we did.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I hate pre season. Couldn't sleep at all so stuck the game on my phone, went bed at 4, up at half 6.

Ox was unreal but he was last pre-season as well.

Debuchy is just awful, one nice assist to be fair but he simply can't defend, so flat footed.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Just watched ox goal really beautiful goal and very good finish too.

Walcott couldn't score in straight 3 games :lol: we seriously in trouble if we didn't sign a strikers

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I'm glad Akpom scored again, but disappointed to read that his general play is lacking.

So Zelalem with another impressive run-out?

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
dont like the kit, it feels that we are on a Drake video, too much yellow.

Like what i saw from xhaka, we should have signed him 2 years ago.
El neny always involved and willing to link up with the team. The Ox showing that there is a monster inside him, Walcott dangerous but lacking tecnical quality as usual, Good game by our CB paring, i hope chambers explotes, Holding looks like the real deal, very Koscielnyesque.
Iwobi is a nice player i just dont see in him the enormity that an Arsenal forward needs.
Sell Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom