• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pre-season Friendly in Beijing: Arsenal vs Chelsea|22/7/17| 1240 BST|ITV1 & Arsenal Player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
1. Its not pointless to play players out of position, even for one or two games during the preseason, not to mention more then that. Even one game playing as CB for a natural DM/CM is a blessing in disguise. For a RWB to play as a RCB OR LWB etc etc. you get to see the game from a bit different angle.
It really makes perfect sense. Players get to see tactics from a different angle, usually from the position thats a bit behind from their original one, where they see more clearly what they need to do better once in their prefered position in order to help a player behind them but also in front of them. 90 mins is not little. Those players know the stakes are high amd you dont get 20 chances, you gotta make most of every chance and lesson there is.
I'll never forget how playing CB for a short period of time immediately made Monreal twice the fullback he was before that.

2. Willock, by now, is no.1 name of the preseason for me. I am super excited and impressed. Looks like a natural Cm who can control the game naturally.
Everything he does looks unforced and at the same time very natural (cant find a better word). He'll need time, he'll have ups and downs, but kid is something else. Knows perfectly well how to use his body, what decisions to make, is built perfectly for a modern CM and has that confident look on him, that fearless cloud above him.
Fact he is a Hale End product is just an icing on a cake and another reason why we have to do our best to continue in the right direction with his development.

3. Niles. Honestly, I did expect to see more of him in terms of concentration mostly. Didnt expect to see so many mistakes in his play knowing he was getting promoted to the first team, but, at the same time; he had some flashes of pure class on this tour thay blew my mind. He didnt get promoted for no reason, and I sure he will improve after switching positions in all of these games which will help him, but made him look a bit shaky at times. That closing down of Willian in particular, after he made a bad pass, really blew my mind. Such explosion, acceleration, pace,..wow. It was the first time I actually realized just how fast he is. Think he could turn out into one hell of a wingback really.

No need to even start on Nelson, who is on another level already when it comes to dribbling and technique level. Did so many nasty tricks during our tour, but that one against Chelsea, against Pasalic in particular, was something else. Not even slow motion replay could actually make it clear to me how and what did he do there, but just like most of his tricks; it was effective and most importantly; he meant it and he did it in an impressively confident way. His defense contribution and work rate were on top too.

Make Arsenal youthful again ;)

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Thanks @MutableEarth !

What is your opinion on Maitland-Niles, why is Wenger so fascinated by him (other than versatility i guess)? my opinion of him is that his ceiling is slightly better version of coq - better feet and passing, more mobile thus able to play more positions. how do you think he'll fair in dmf, his tackling, concentration, reading of the game?
Think defensive midfield is where he shines the most. He plugs gaps very well, is a clever ball-winner, sharp physically and composed on the ball when dribbling and passing. Only issue of late is that he is perhaps a little too composed in matches and looks sluggish as a result. When he's focused, he is a player with great potency and ability.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger's 100% correct.

It's a shame, football should be about football, not this commercial nonsense.

It's all very tedious.

I hear you but reality is that football clubs are commercial operations and require top finances to pay top players.

All the major clubs do these global tours now, so if we don't - we will fail to attract or retain the necessary market share that we need to compete.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Didn't see the match but not at all worried about the result. If there's a time to lose 0-3 or 0-5 it's in the inconsequential friendly games. Hopefully Arsène learned his lessons.

Won't mind losing this one and winning the Community Shield!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom