• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier league 2014-15: race for ???????

squallkid

Established Member
Okay league starts next week and this thread is a tradition

Out Fulham Cardiff and

In Lester burnley and qpr.

City current champs
Chelsea and Liverpool thereabouts
Man utd may be relevant again

We have yet to address our key issues but the summer is still young.

We start at home to palace

Go!!!!!

Salieri

I'm still skeptical on how we will do vs top teams tbh. Our last big game on the 17th of May was against a relegation club, and we went down 2-0 in 10 minutes. If it was a better team, you all know that we'd have lost by 4 or 5. Today's game in the Charity Shield will be an indication on how Wenger will treat those occasions in the PL. But without a solid DM signing, I very much doubt we can take points off our rivals. And this, like last season, will cost us the league!

Present squad, I say 3rd. Because Manure will be up there challenging without EU. & with CFC, MC just as strong if not better than last season, no way we win it.

BobP

Memri Fan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tomas-rosicky-interview-i-still-owe-so-much-to-arsenal-9658051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 58051.html</a>

Little explanation by Rosicky about the thrashings which he is spot on about. Liverpool came out very aggressively, scored 2 early set pieces as a result of their aggressive pressing and then sat back and picked us off on the counter attack when we were forced to come out. Rosicky was also spot on about the Chelsea game, we had that early chance with Giroud where the complexion of the game would have changed if he had scored but as is so often the case he flunked it.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Every loss has a story.

I believe if we sign an DMF we'll have about the same chance as last year, which is a good chance, terribly bad luck permitting.

Salieri

Aggression comes from the type of players you play imo. Arteta isn't an aggressive player, and he sets the tone of our most important area of the team. Opponents come out more buzzing and motivated to jump on us and we make mistakes. Giroud's miss in the Chelsea game is not an excuse for our 6-0 loss. You go down, you take your time to come back. Not throw everything on an equalizer then find yourself down 3 or 4. It's not all Arteta's fault of course. Wenger carries most of the blame tbh. He'd rather lose 4-0 than park the bus(like what Mourinho did at the Emirates) & get a point. It's more insulting for him to be like Jose than get raped. :lol:

Crooner

Chelsea and City have vomit inducing squads. Seriously ****ed up squads.

I think the fixture list is kind to us. Everton have been a disaster in preseason especially at the back and we might well wop them which would be a huge boost. We could well get a bit of momentum which would give Özil the platform to come in and wreak havok. We need to convert those big losses into draws. There's no need to win the big games just ensure that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. If Arsène plays it safe in the games where we have squad disadvantages, whether by luck or by design, then we can pick up some nice points.

I'm optimistic as always, I actually think this season suits us better than last for the league. We failed miserably at UTD and that shouldn't happen this year, I also reckon we'll beat Everton home and away and then seeing how far Liverpool will fall could well put us in a position where away draws against Utd, and City would put us in a great place to win the title.

It's us and Chelsea for me, City have a combination of late players returning and players who may have peaked which inclines me to think they will drop a place or two this year.

Again very optimistic, and with two more signings we shouldn't be far off anyways.

gstew

I am assuming that Wenger will buy at central defense. The other two variables are DM and injuries.

Assuming we get a good DM and have minimal injuries I think that we will fight it out for 1st with Chelsea. In this scenario I strongly believe that we would be better than Man City and equal or better than Chelsea. We will be solid everywhere and have a deep enough squad to play a very good team in all competitions without worry about fatigue.

If we get a good DM and have our normal injuries I think that we will fight it out with ManU for 3rd. With our better depth this year there is no reason for us to have fatigue-related injuries. But injuries can sometimes be flukish.

If we don't upgrade DM and have minimal injuries I believe we will fight it out with ManU for 3rd. We currently have the DMs of a bottom-half club. We need to be realistic about the current quality of Flamini/Arteta. If by some miracle Diaby played an injury free season then I still think we could compete for the title. But that just seems completely unrealistic.

And in worst case scenario (no DM and our normal injuries) I think that we fight it out with Liverpool and Tottenham for 4th. Please don't let this happen!

mo50

Established Member
We'll need to sign a CM, hope Sanchez hits the ground running and bangs in goals, Theo makes a swift recovery and one of Wilshere/Chamberlain to step up like Ramsey and consistently put in top performances.

I think we'll be up there. We need a lot to go for us if we're to win it

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
It's a race for the title last year we lost our first game to Villa and only took 5 out of 18 points against the top 3 and 1 out of 6 versus hinted, better that this season and we will be well in the mix.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Im not convinced we will last the distance.

As much as improving personnel is important, there are two additional areas which I am concerned about, and if not taken care of, will cost us again.

Opposition preparation and tactical flexibility.
Fitness and proper rotation of our squad.

A quick observation in pre-season for example, the fact that we are still using zonal marking in the box, is a worrying sign for me.

Conversely if we can actively adjust, we could really surprise. Potentially we can win, but realistically we are good enough for a battle for third with one of City or United.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
3rd/4th at best with the current squad. No backup CB, no decent DM and Giroud upfront. No hope of winning the title.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We've got the best manager in the world, once we sign a DM and now that we've got amazing firepower in our attack.... I've no doubt we will win the league.

Cindurin

Last year everything went to hell after we changed the title of this topic, so vote for letting it remain ????? for the entire season.

I do feel we're being slightly underestimated. I don't see winning the title, but I see a lot of people talking about us going out of top 4 with United taking our place. I very much doubt we will be behind both United and Liverpool when the season ends. I predict 2nd or 3rd place.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

AnthonyG said:
ArseGod said:
We win the league
I like it. Short, simple, elegant. Let's go with this for now.
Thirded.

Mods/Admins please do not edit the title of this topic, it brought nothing but bad luck last season.

arsmile

Established Member
we've got to fancy ourselves with more of a chance than any recent years don't we?

I mean no stupidly optimistic predictions...but the consensus has to be that we did well for the majority of last season- and we should have improved in terms of personnel and experience since last season?

Top Bottom