Premier League 2017/18: We(nger) Go Again

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by say yes, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where do you think Arsenal will finish this season?

1. 1st

20.6%
  2. 2nd

6.0%
  3. 3rd

14.7%
  4. 4th

19.7%
  5. 5th

15.6%
  6. 6th

17.4%
  7. Below 6th

6.0%
  1. Preacher

Preacher Twitter Bot

[​IMG]

Nice fixtures summary. Didn't find newer, so it's pre last round.

2. say yes

say yes Very Stable Genius

Weighted League Table - GW26

If you've not seen one of these before, it essentially weights results against the quality of teams faced. You're expected to take 3/6 points from your rivals, 4/6 from the middling teams, 6/6 from the weaker teams. Doing so would give you 89 points (up 2 from last season given the strengthening of the big clubs).

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs
    Everton, Southampton, Leicester, West Brom, Bournemouth
    West Ham, Stoke, Palace, Swansea, Burnley, Watford, Newcastle, Huddlesfield, Brighton

City: +6
    United: -2
    Spurs: -10
    Chelsea: -11
    Liverpool: -14
    Arsenal: -16

and in a pretty graphic:

[​IMG]

Added a maximum line which shows you where we’d finish if we won all our remaining games.

We’re in a crap situation tbh. Reliant on the teams above us collapsing unless we can pick up 4-6 points from Spurs & City.

Full marks to United for their consistency.

3. Jasard

Jasard #PlayAMNInMidfield

We're ****ed really, we don't deserve top 4 at all but points don't lie - if we by some miracle manage it that's pretty shocking by the teams around us too.

These last 2 seasons have been disgustingly ****, and we don't even have injuries as an excuse and this season the first 11 basically only play in the league. Hard to think of any excuses beyond poor coaching.

We've been recovering from the terrible Cech only transfer window ever since. We'd have won the league then and then hopefully built on that every year since. ****s me off every time I remember that. Now we have to catch up to City which is frankly impossible tbh.

4. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Well-Known Member

We still have a chance lets see what happens at spurs first

5. field442

field442 Abandoned Arsenal for ice hockey

We’re probably going to need to win 10 out of our last 12 games to be in with a shout of 4th, and I don’t think we’ve been on a run like that so far this season.
    We should really be looking to the Europa as our best chance.

Mo Britain and bingobob like this.
  6. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Unsinkable !

Setting us up for huge let down here I think.

7. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

Our away form and defence is just too poor. To add to that, Spurs and Liverpool have been consistent - a slip up here and there but there's no evidence to suggest they'll meltdown. So unless we significantly improve away from home, we're relying on two from Spurs, Pool and Chelsea to fall apart basically. We're rightly outsiders at this point.

8. bingobob

bingobob He played for Celtic? Sign him up!

If the competition for the top four remains as is then the next logical step is Europa League. And I fully expect now going forward that the English teams will be taking it as a serious competition.

There may well be a stage where a team finishes in the top 4 one season, wins the Cl the next but falls out of the top 4 is replaced by another who wasn't in it the previous season meanwhile another English team wins the Europa league.

Something like this could happen this season

City
    United
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Us (win Europa)
    Chelsea (win Cl)

9. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant

If we can beat Spurs then I'll start to have a glimmer of hope.

10. <<reed>>

<<reed>> PLEASE GIVE ME ATTENTION

Whatever.

11. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Bit early for worrying about this .

12. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

You're downplaying the precarious situation Chelsea find themselves in.

Consecutive losses to Bournemouth and Watford with a double header against United and City coming up. You also have the CL tie with Barcelona.

Their season could come apart.

celestis likes this.
  13. Dokaka

Dokaka AM's resident Hammer

Even if Chelsea fall apart, I don't think there's enough obvious games for Pool and Spurs to lose for you to catch up. You certainly need to win against Spurs to even start hoping.

Your defensive struggles also worry me more than Liverpool's for some reason. Maybe PEA and Mkhi will add enough goals to make up for it, but Liverpool have at least been consistently good going forward, whereas the only area you've been fairly consistent in is defensive blunders.

shootxhakashoot and bingobob like this.
  14. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

That's why I only said that Spurs and Pool have been consistent, Chelsea are all over the place right now. But only finishing above Chelsea won't get us top 4.

15. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Unsinkable !

Before new year I was sure we would have good second half of the season but after all we gone through I'm just expecting a slight improvement on what we showed before new year.

8 wins would be good improvement and I would say we as a team would be on the way up before next season given we have all our major attacking players for next season tied down.

Still massive work need to be done regarding tying Wilshere, Nelson and Ramsey down and get rid of the Elneny and Welbeck and sign couple of defenders and GK.

bingobob likes this.
  16. bingobob

bingobob He played for Celtic? Sign him up!

I think the league for us is a bit of a right off. I wouldn't say not to totally focus on it, our next two league games will decide that fate. Anything other than 3 points from Spurs should see us put everything into the Europa.

What I'm indirectly excited about is the fact we've signed two big players with no guarantee of CL football next season. We've started planning for life with or without it and ultimately this bit of business should show us that CL football isn't that big a factor in acquiring players.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  17. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

wouldn't it make more sense for us to have no European football next season and concentrate totally on the PL?

mavelous likes this.
  18. <<reed>>

<<reed>> PLEASE GIVE ME ATTENTION

Why?

19. The Ox

The Ox Well-Known Member

It’s not over but we have to pretty much hit a perfect run, I’ve seen us do it with worse teams though so there’s hope.

20. Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Dennis_Bergkamp_10 Well-Known Member

Win vs Spurs is needed, though I can't see that happening. We need massive collapses from other teams in order to get top four.

A favourable draw in the Europa league would give me more hope than aiming for top four.