Premier League 2017/18: We(nger) Go Again

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by say yes, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where do you think Arsenal will finish this season?

1. 1st

19.7%
  2. 2nd

5.7%
  3. 3rd

14.0%
  4. 4th

19.2%
  5. 5th

15.7%
  6. 6th

19.2%
  7. Below 6th

6.6%
  1. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

Agree. Pep is a checkbook manager.

2. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Severe daddy issues

Getting semi-finals with Bayern is much closer to success than to a failure of course, or do you think they should play in finals every year? For example Arsenal not being in quarter-finals for 5+ years is a failure.
    Last season Pep was a fraud because he won nothing, this season he has been ****ting on the mighty competitive Premier League but he's still a fraud because he is doing it with City, but not with Stoke. It's never good enough for some people no matter what he does.

3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

Stoke? No, but if he did it with spurs our even Everton, that would prove something

4. Mo Britain

Mo Britain You should be ashamed of yourself Gazidis

You are using the word fraud, not me. Are you Mrs Guardiola?

Not going to repeat myself but yeah semi-finals is where Bayern expect to be minimum so getting there (and on one occasion getting thrashed 5-0 whilst Pep was there) is not enough. Many Arsenal fans consider the seasons when we "only" win the FA Cup to be failures. Citeh fans, rightly, have higher expectations than ours.

Success and failure are relative. Pep failed last season. He may succeed this one.

5. <<reed>>

He should take over Spurs or Everton to prove random people on the Internet something?

Interesting.

krengon and CaseUteinberger like this.
  6. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Pep is ****ting on the premiership with the best team in the league like Arsenal never quite managed to **** on the premiership with the best team in the league. To be honest.

7. <<reed>>

Didn't you know that the Invincibles were a failure because they didn't reach even one CL final?

8. mavelous

mavelous Well-Known Member Trusted

Last i checked pep was a football manager, not a magician. If the criteria of a top manager is how he wins the league with stoke or Everton, i guess no single coach out there stands a chance.

Gooner Zig, Jury and CaseUteinberger like this.
  9. Jury

And Harry Redknapp would be up there with the greatest of this era. Interesting criteria. Needless to say, Ranieri would just be the greatest that that ever lived.

10. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Well-Known Member

So I see we ended up at Guardiola again :lol:

I have to do one's bit as well of course and gotta say he obviously is without equal when it comes to perfecting an already worldclass set of players.

But if he'd succeed more than anyone else with a mediocre side can be really put into question - I think most of you know about the way he sets up his players on the field as it's been closely described by Henry as well.

Thing is, he mostly gives players a very specific area on the field that they shall not pass with little expection, however, if you don't have players with such ability as he's had in any team he coached so far, I think his system is very likely to come crashing down on the highest level.

He needs worldclass players to realize his perception of football.

11. Trilly

Trilly ^ If Michael Owen posted on AM

Different kinds of managers is all, so your perception of the best manager depends on what you like.

Do you like someone who turns a bunch of misfits into a title winning team? If so you're always going to rate the hipster managers. Do you prefer someone who outright wins trophies on a regular basis? If so then they've all been called chequebook managers at some point.:lol:

At the end of the day you need a very talented (and thus expensive) bunch of players to win stuff on a regular basis but you'd be a fool to think that regular you could walk into the Etihad and do anything close to what Pep is doing.

The best scientists in the world are using equipment worth about £6bn to try and find out how the world works. Are you going to question their results because they didn't discover the higgs boson in a class room with a bunsen burner and some cellotape?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Rumour, krengon, Gooner Zig and 4 others like this.
  12. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Agenda Merchant

Rating Pep as human being or manager is on a very grey area but comparing football to science is just beyond disgusting.

13. Trilly

Trilly ^ If Michael Owen posted on AM

I do not rate indirects.

14. Aevius

Aevius World Cup Prediction Champion Moderator

So, so poor. Has our away record ever been this bad?

MaraDon likes this.
  15. Malky

Malky Well-Known Member

Even more worrying is the way we lost some of those games.
    Yet there's people that will still try and convince others that Wengers still the best man for the job here. :lol:

16. Jury

So many captains. So many leaders...

Well ok, Arséne, if that's true, then YOU are the ****ing problem. So kindly have the balls to acknowledge that, and get the **** out.

17. Camus

Camus Active Member

3 PL away wins all season, I've said this before but it's beyond shocking. Averaging less than a point away is not acceptable. Worst things is we're joint 2nd in the table on home form, 5 ahead of Liverpool and 6 ahead of Chelsea (teams you'd class as top 4 rivals), so the quality is there.

League is gone now, in terms of CL places and finishing above Spurs. It would require us to be basically faultless in our remaining 11 game, which given our form this season is impossible but compounded even more due to having games against City and United who we suffer against even at the best of time.

I still think the season is salvageable, though. Obviously it's highly unlikely, but a League Cup and EL double would probably represent arguably our best season since 2003/04. Wenger needs to see this and start preparing to team to be set-up win one-off games rather than try and find any consistent form/play style in the league. It's on a knife edge basically, either it's the best season in 14 years or the worst in 23 years.

American_Gooner and c00lguy like this.
  18. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

How do you go from being one of the best away teams to this in 2-3 years?

19. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Well-Known Member

Its shocking really 27 points off city in feb this will be our lowest points total under Wenger

20. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

28 games away from home only 30 points earned that too poor.