Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevius, Aug 9, 2018.

?

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

1. 1st

3.8%
  2. 2nd

3.8%
  3. 3rd

25.8%
  4. 4th

34.7%
  5. 5th/6th

31.0%
  6. 7th or lower

0.9%
  1. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Reminds me of the run-in in 12/13 where the team had a terrible away record until the spring, then they grinded out a bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 wins at previously tricky away grounds like Sunderland, Swansea, QPR, Fulham, West Brom and Newcastle. Something similar is required this season.

2. field442

field442 Abandoned Emery because of Lacazette

If Utd drop points against Everton I think 75 should be enough. I reckon Utd will beat Chelsea and at best draw with City so if they drop points at Everton 75 will be their maximum (if they draw at Everton), as will Chelsea’s. In that scenario and considering our GD three wins should be enough to get 4th.

3. berric

berric Well-Known Member

Similar but now we have a Europa competition added with a realistic chance to win it. Definitely the most exciting run-in in a while. Every fixture is make or break.

SA Gunner and American_Gooner like this.
  4. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Stuck in the friend zone

Don't think that Utd will be problem.If they get more than 5 points in those 3 games,they can be happy.

We still can afford to drop points in 2 games,which is good.If Chelsea don't win at OT ofc.

5. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

At this stage, I'm not looking at the other teams because we still have to take care of our own business. We have a game in hand on Chelsea which only means something if we win it. It will be good to have some winning 3pm Saturday games whilst those around us hopefully cancel each other out in later fixtures. Third spot and the EL trophy is our aim now.

6. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Fair play to sp*rs. Great performance. A lot of comments about the horror of them potentially winning the CL but I’m totally chilled as they now have 2 extra energy-sapping nerve-shredding games and Barca are still lurking in the competition.

Ladies & gents. Last night could be the moment we made the top 4.

krackpot likes this.
  7. VancouverCanuck

VancouverCanuck Well-Known Member

F**k Sp*rs. I'll gladly sacrifice one of my testicles if it means Sp*rs crashing out of the CL.

8. Tbh given the way they have been playing, I would be surprised if Ajax doesn't beat them. But even in a one off game, Pool or Barca should have too much for them hopefully

9. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Still Not a Mod

Ffs, yet again this season is on a knife edge but even worse now. We're a few results off having a great season or an AM mass suicide led by @GDeep™

boxerumble and Mark Tobias like this.
  10. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

So a normal season then..

11. mujtabahijaz

mujtabahijaz Member

Donate a kidney, football gods will becone happy with your sacrifice and kick Sp**s out of CL

12. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Well-Known Member

I remember when football made me happy.

Dj_sds - likes this.
  13. siavash

siavash New Member

losing Torreira and Xhaka at the same time, with Ramsey not fully fit, has been potentially disastrous :confused:o_O

14. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

The key Tottenham games - assuming they are beaten by City - are West Ham at home (four days after they play Brighton, three days before they play Ajax whereas West Ham have seven days to prepare) and Bournemouth away sandwiched by the Ajax games and a mere two days before the return game in Amsterdam.

So we must hope they haven't had either a big win or a big loss in the home game because if they have a chance to get to the final (or think they do) the temptation not to play your first XI and the tendency of some players to save themselves for the bigger game almost certainly will lead to dropped points.

I think we might get away with losing one more game to get 4th but probably need 4 wins for 3rd. I think 78 points will be Sp uds ceiling. 76 will be Chelsea's ceiling. Manu won't get past 74.

15. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Think we need 11 points from our remaining five for 4th spot.

16. Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Dennis_Bergkamp_10 Well-Known Member

Let's win Palace first like we should and see what the rest does. I suspect were going to be in third place after next weekend and then it's up to us to keep that. We have confidence, clean sheets and not many injuries. Let's do this!

Dj_sds - likes this.
  17. drippin

drippin Well-Known Member

But Ramsey just got injured? Torreira niggled at the end of the match, is it bad? Xhaka was substituted so was it to give him rest?

Midfield has some worries. If we have to play Guendouzi & Elneny together again like against Everton, they really have to step up their game.

18. Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Dennis_Bergkamp_10 Well-Known Member

I think only Ramsey is out. Xhaka was one yellow away from being suspended.

drippin likes this.
  19. boxerumble

boxerumble Member

I’ve been told there is a Kool aid recipe already being whipped up by an AM member in case.

Can you imagine the scenes if we get knocked out by Valencia, Sp**s win UCL and united pips us for 4th? Don’t even think I’ll find my wife attractive after that

OnlyOne likes this.
  20. albakos

albakos Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you" Administrator

Xhaka was taken off to not risk getting a yellow and missing the first leg of semi.

drippin likes this.