Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 9, 2018.

?

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

1. 1st

3.7%
  2. 2nd

3.7%
  3. 3rd

25.7%
  4. 4th

34.6%
  5. 5th/6th

31.3%
  6. 7th or lower

0.9%
  1. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

They wont make the final.

Frankfurt to destroy them

2. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Fail to beat Wolves and it might be time to put all the eggs in the EL basket

SA Gunner likes this.
  3. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

We still are 4th, and its in our hands.

The margin for error though is now literally... "dont blink first"

4. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

Depends on Chelsea’s results. Our games after Wednesday do ease up a lot imo.

We’re almost needing Utd to do us a massive favour next week but you never know.

5. Rex Banter

I’ve seen the Bundesliga’s two best teams get absolutely tw*tted by Sp**s and Liverpool. Sceptical at best.

6. lamby22

lamby22 Well-Known Member

That's it for me as well. We just have to be less **** than the teams around us. Still think it's between us and Chelsea for 4th though.

Rex Banter likes this.
  7. American_Gooner

If I had to pick, I'd say Chelsea will get 73 points. 2 wins and 2 draws could do it. If the injuries don't ease up that might be tough to make.

Rex Banter likes this.
  8. RandomHero84

RandomHero84 Well-Known Member

I don't think we will do it. Not because of the mathematics or the games on paper, but because of what this team tends to show when it matters.

9. Rex Banter

Well luckily we’ll have Sokratis, Torreira and Xhaka all on the verge of coming back.

I think this team will want to respond midweek, win that and it all opens up.

10. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

I expected us to lose Watford and win this, so point wise we're where I expected after those 2 games. I just can't see Chelsea or Manu not dropping more points either(even when you disregard the game between them). 2 wins might be enough I think, we'll see.

SA Gunner and lamby22 like this.
  11. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Tier 1 Height

It's f*cked us that we're still going all out in both comps really, don't have the depth for it. We can win every game till the end of the season if we don't lose people through injuries, it's killing us atm.

12. American_Gooner

A 38 game season never boils down to just one moment, but I hope we're not sitting here in 3 weeks lamenting Auba's penalty miss at Sp**s. Those 2 points could make all the difference in the world.

13. lamby22

lamby22 Well-Known Member

Can't see it. I'd be more likely to blame the countless errors Mustafi has made.

14. RandomHero84

RandomHero84 Well-Known Member

Mustafi has cost us points in the most infuriating way. Auba has won us way more points than he's cost.

The worst thing with Mustafi is how it always had to be so brainlessly thrown away.

lamby22 and Tosker like this.
  15. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

You can argue the ref cost us a point today. Then you have the countless individual mistakes.

Harsh to pin point back to Auba.

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  16. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Tier 1 Height

Yep, let's also not forgot Mustafi gave the pen away against Sp**s. That dickhead will cost us top 4 if we don't get it.

Tourbillion likes this.
  17. OSBK

OSBK Well-Known Member

Im happy to be where we are. Honestly at the start of the season i was looking at 6th place, to be where we are is outstanding.

Having said that today was another unreal chance to put serious pressure on the teams around us and solidify a too 4 spot. Had we won today then i dont see anyone catching us but the loss has put all that pressure on us. I dont blame emery for today, all this team selection and tactics stuff is taking the blame for the players not performing. Those players he put out today are at arsenal and should be fighting and earning the wage, emery has given them a platform and they yet again have shown us,the club,the board and the world how utterly useless they are. We are lumbered with this trash now, what team would take mustafi after today. Its not even funny how a failed rb at palace covering at cb has a better game than a guy who earns 90k a week.

CL qualification is the catlyst for change for arsenal, without it this season then we will stuck with these utter garbage players.

18. American_Gooner

I’m not pinning it on him, as has been rightly pointed out he’s won a lot of points this season too. It’s just that one moment against Sp**s was frustrating, since you’d expect a top striker to finish a penalty. You can’t really control referee decisions like today.

19. rockofcashel

rockofcashel Active Member

The Europa League winners are entitled to a Champions League spot as of right.

So too are the Champions League winners.

And the EPL are entitled to 4 CL spots.

Any league however, is entitled to a maximum of 5 spots in the CL.

Liverpool and City have already assured themselves spots, via the League.

Assuming Sp**s will also win one via the league, then the PL will be entitled to a 4th league based spot.

Assuming Arsenal and Chelsea finish in 4th and 5th (in either order), then both will take the final two CL spots, if both get to the EL final.

Assume Chelsea and Arsenal reach the EL final.

If Chelsea have finished 4th, but Arsenal win the EL, Arsenal qualify via the EL and Chelsea via the league.

If Arsenal finish 4th, and Chelsea win EL, Chelsea qualify via the EL, and Arsenal via the league.

However, if Arsenal finish 5th, and Chelsea win the EL, Chelsea qualify via the EL, and Arsenal take the 4th league based CL spot.

If Chelsea finish 5th, and Arsenal win EL, both clubs go through again.

So right now, Arsenal fans need Arsenal and Chelsea to win the EL semi finals. If both get to the final, and both finish top 5, both go to CL next year.

We need City to batter United, and United/Chelsea draw.

Would be nice if both clubs went to the EL knowing they were going to CL next year no matter what the result

20. rockofcashel

rockofcashel Active Member

Plus if Arsenal get to EL final and need to win to secure CL next year, then Leno should play rather than Cech.

Best team has to play