• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

• Total voters

avalonhse

I agree re Allison. Like all ball-playing GK he had a tough time at the start, but has settled well.

But to me Van Dijk always looks like he is on the edge of a massive ****-up. And I think his pace makes up for that a lot. I’ve only caught a couple of Liverpool games this season, but he was bailed out by Gomez and Robertson a few times in those.
Sky named him MOTM against us, which I thought was strange, because he was partially at fault for our goal. And we were pretty impotent.

He’s obviously a great CB, but I have yet to see a Liverpool game where I’ve thought he looks like the most expensive one ever.

If we had Dijik instead of Mustafi, we were top 2 in PL right now with his speed.

So yes, i would pay the most expensive bid for CB to get him and let Holding cover for him, instead of saving some money and compete for Top 4 like we are.

Just 1 signing can make you diferent.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

@ptrcopp

VdV was clearly Liverpool's best player against us. He was a monster defensively and could have won it for Liverpool with some key chances in attack.

avalonhse

I also think it's a bit crazy writing United off, they are only 5 points behind us in 4th which isn't a huge amount this early in the season.

It's not about point difference, it's about how Mourinho manages teams. That multifaceted always falls in the 3rd season by arguing with everyone for losing.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Won't be easy but if we win our next two games I can't honestly see United catch us. We'd be like 11 points ahead.

ptrcopp

If we had Dijik instead of Mustafi, we were top 2 in PL right now with his speed.

So yes, i would pay the most expensive bid for CB to get him and let Holding cover for him, instead of saving some money and compete for Top 4 like we are.

Just 1 signing can make you diferent.

@Gooner Zig

I don’t know if I mentioned it in my op but I think it’s partly down to his price tag. £80m seems a lot.

I don’t by that that the one addition would make us top two. Liverpool were already top 2, and haven’t really closed the gap on City nor pushed on above everyone else

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
If we stay unbeaten vs Sp**s and Utd no matter whether they’re draws or wins I think we get in top 4.

Two draws put us at 29 points. Chelsea will probably take 4 to 6 points from their next two games against Fulham and Wolves. If Tottenham draw against us their next game is Southampton at home which reeks of 3 points for them. Would look like that:

Tottenham 34
Chelsea 32/34
Arsenal 29

I am no fortune teller, but except the NLD, both Chelsea and Sp**s have it easier. If we only draw in both the next games against direct competitors, we better stop dropping points against the likes of Wolves and Palace if we want to get Top 4. Those missed 4 points have really hurt us more than the losses against City and Chelsea. With 4 points more out of these absolutely winnable matches we'd now be 3rd with 31 points, ahead of two teams we could both be trailing by as much as 5 points in two weeks. If you don't take the points home against small opposition, you have to get them against the big boys. And that's exactly why drawing against Sp**s and Utd won't get us any closer to Top 4.

Apart from that resoning, 3 draws and 2 losses with 3/15 points in the 5 big games is kind of appaling for a team that wants to challenge for Top 4 again.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

@Gooner Zig

I don’t know if I mentioned it in my op but I think it’s partly down to his price tag. £80m seems a lot.

I don’t by that that the one addition would make us top two. Liverpool were already top 2, and haven’t really closed the gap on City nor pushed on above everyone else

It wouldn't make us top two, agreed (not now anyways)

say yes

forum master baiter
@say yes

Those weighted tables you do - are they your own creation or do you source it from somewhere?

My own creation, but employs same principles used by others. Rankings will probably differ from graph to graph, mine are based on results last year as I think that's the most objective way.

On that note:

Weighted League Table - GW13

If you've not seen one of these before, it essentially weights results against the quality of teams faced. It will be exactly the same as the league table at the end of the season (when everyone has played every team twice), but until then it shows you roughly how well each club is doing given the fixtures played.

A 'champion' is expected to get 89 points: 3/6 points from your rivals; 4/6 from the middling teams; 6/6 from the weaker teams. Doing so would give you 89 points.

2018/2019 rankings:
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Sp**s
Newcastle, Watford, Brighton, Leicester, Everton
Newcastle (28 home points, 10 from Big 6)
Watford (27 home points, 8 from Big 6)
Brighton (29 home points, 7 from Big 6)
Leicester (27 home points, 7 from Big 6)
Everton (34 home points, 2 from Big 6)
Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, Southampton, Huddersfield, Wolves, Fulham, Cardiff

2eobmna.jpg

2yjy1dw.png

City: +7
Liverpool: +7
Sp**s: 0
Chelsea: -6
Arsenal: -7
United: -8

Looks like there are 2 races with Sp**s involved in neither.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
My own creation, but employs same principles used by others. Rankings will probably differ from graph to graph, mine are based on results last year as I think that's the most objective way.

On that note:

Weighted League Table - GW13

If you've not seen one of these before, it essentially weights results against the quality of teams faced. It will be exactly the same as the league table at the end of the season (when everyone has played every team twice), but until then it shows you roughly how well each club is doing given the fixtures played.

A 'champion' is expected to get 89 points: 3/6 points from your rivals; 4/6 from the middling teams; 6/6 from the weaker teams. Doing so would give you 89 points.

2018/2019 rankings:
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Sp**s
Newcastle, Watford, Brighton, Leicester, Everton
Newcastle (28 home points, 10 from Big 6)
Watford (27 home points, 8 from Big 6)
Brighton (29 home points, 7 from Big 6)
Leicester (27 home points, 7 from Big 6)
Everton (34 home points, 2 from Big 6)
Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, Southampton, Huddersfield, Wolves, Fulham, Cardiff

2eobmna.jpg

2yjy1dw.png

City: +7
Liverpool: +7
Sp**s: 0
Chelsea: -6
Arsenal: -7
United: -8

Looks like there are 2 races with Sp**s involved in neither.
This is brilliant man!

Such a fine margins... Win against Chelsea and turn one of the draws against Liverpool, Wolves or CP and we would be well on our way to claim a top4 spot.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
How do our points look in comparison to this stage last season?

27 points after 14 games, so 3 points better now.. Our start last season wasn’t that bad though, everything went wrong in the winter period, we’ll easily better that this season.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom