Premier League 2019/20: Can we stay up?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 8, 2019.

?

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

1. 1st

6.5%
  2. 2nd

5.2%
  3. 3rd

35.7%
  4. 4th

30.9%
  5. 5th/6th

11.7%
  6. 7th or lower

10.0%
  1. mavelous

mavelous Well-Known Member Trusted

2. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

BBC asked 24 TV pundits for their top 4 prediction.

Summary: overwhelming predictions for
    City 1
    Liverpool 2
    Sp**s 3
    Arsenal 4
    ———————
    Chelsea and United miss out

That’s what the pro pundits think.

krackpot and drippin like this.
  3. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

Pretty accurate tbh. I don't see much changing there. Its below those 4 where most of the unpredictable stuff is likely to happen with Chelsea and Utd state. Probably one or two of Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Watford and possibly Leicester may give them a fight for finishing in Europa places.

Makingtrax likes this.
  4. KingHenry14

KingHenry14 New Member

I’m going with 3rd this season, but we’ll end up finishing top. ;)

5. remains

remains Well-Known Member

Could see Sp**s challenging for the title this year but falling short as per usual. Think we will get 4th.

krackpot and OnlyOne like this.
  6. goonerfamily

goonerfamily Active Member

Think people are underrating Sp**s in this thread. They are more of an established side than us and have bought very well. Could see Liverpool burning out and Sp**s finishing above them. Don't think we'll overtake them this season but the season after is where we dethrone them hopefully (especially if Poch goes)

7. Chancellor

Chancellor Active Member

Another "We put the pressure on" dvd at the end of the season then :lol:

8. Chancellor

Chancellor Active Member

9. em9999

em9999 The Coward of AM

Sp**s may challenge us for the title but I think we will have too much

lamby22 likes this.
  10. Beksl

Beksl Sell All The Youngsters

Top4 should be the minimal goal. We have a better squad than last season and Chelsea/Man Utd didn't push on the transfer market and look much weaker in certain areas.

It's make or break season for Unai, he need to produce the results and I'm fully confident he can do it.

11. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

Interesting.

Have you made an updated squad cost list yet?

12. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

After Leciester heroics, I go every season aiming to finish 1st. I cant be objective until after Christmas.

Wilshero and RacingPhoton like this.
  13. Manberg

Manberg Well-Known Member

It's the performances and results against the would be mid table clubs that worry me. They can set themselves up well and frustrate us as we keep seeing.

14. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Short man Syndrome

We have a lot more new ammo to help with that now though. We were so so predictable last year.

15. Aevi

Aevi Hands down best mod -Trilly (probably) Moderator

A couple of new/clarified rules...

https://www.skysports.com/football/...er-league-season-rules-teams-players-and-more

"Handball - If a player deliberately touches the ball they are penalised, but a foul will also be given if they create a chance or score a goal from an accidental handball. Any incident where a player's arms have been raised above shoulder-height is also likely to be given, or if they have made their body 'unnaturally' bigger.

However, if the ball hits a player's hand or arm from close-range, their arm is close to the body or used to support their body while falling will usually not be punished.

Substitutions - Players must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons.

Goal kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

Yellows and reds - If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

Dropped balls - If a dropped ball is given inside either penalty area, it is dropped for the defending team's goalkeeper when play restarts.

For dropped balls outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped for a player on whichever team last touched the ball. All other players must remain at least 4.5 yards away from the ball until play restarts.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  16. Aevi

The substitutions is a weird one, my gut feeling is that it won't be followed at all. Players walking to the benches is just so ingrained in how the game is played.

albakos likes this.
  17. Aevi

Also, wtf is this rule :lol:

18. albakos

albakos Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you" Administrator

Actually that is the best rule I see.
    It is beyond irritating when on final minutes of play, the players walk slowly, pretend to be tired, clap at the fans, pull their socks as they stroll etc...

The quick-free kick is interesting as the balancing act might prove costly for the attacking team.

Imagine as we have a counter, a defender clatters into Laca with a dangerous two-footed tackle. Özil quickly takes the free kick to Auba, who gets one-on-one with teh keeper and then misses.

Instead of a sending off to oppo defender, due to that quick free kick, only a yellow will be given

Aevi likes this.
  19. Aevi

I still feel a red card should be a red card no matter what. I guess, thinking about it though, it just gives the "victim" team an extra option so it beneficial overall. I wonder if teams will genuinely consider it.

albakos likes this.
  20. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

During the AFCON, it was actually strange seeing the players walk off at the nearest point. It'll take some time to get used to for the fans for sure.

Aevi likes this.