• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2021/22: Race For Top 4

Do you believe we will finish in the top 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
A damp, disappointing, fumble in the sheets of a season. We managed to simultaneously over exceed expectations and disappoint them hard which is quite an achievement by itself... With very little actual achievement (like trophies and stuff). But at least there a was a 5 goal climax at the end.

The club scored another own goal against ambition by extending Arteta's contract before he got over the line for 4th place and the result was predictably depressing.

However disappointing it feels right now, there have also been some green shoots of recovery. We pulled out of last season's nose dive, finishing above United and at the upper end of where most thought we could at the start of the season. We've got a young, improving squad and have a chance to progress if the right signings are made. Tying Saka down will be a key piece of business this summer and we'll need world class forwards and midfielder's coming in as well.

I'm not optimistic going into the next season - the club needed to be ruthless and pull the trigger when Conte or Ten Hag were available. I'm not optimistic but there is still hope and I hope to hell we can build from here.

Mohamed7

Lmao! An entire essay just to defend poor old Arteta. Your argument falls entirely apart when you claim that Arteta has made HUGe progress from Unai. The stats tell a different story:

Unai after 1 season. 70pts, EL finalist.

Arteta after 470M investment into that squad that finished 5th with Unai and 3 years to establish his style. 66pts (might get 69pts) and that’s with playing one game a week. So your claim is objectively false. Arteta has taken the team backwards after being handed unprecedented power and financial backing.
I am not a fan of Arteta and was against his appointment. He is far too inexperienced to be charge of this club and learning his trade. The improvements I was talking about was the squad quality. That squad had a lot of issues and relied on our FBs for attacking far too much. The defense including the goalkeeper was too poor. But now we have a young, talented squad that lacks depth and experience. The coach’s inexperience and naivety didn’t help at all with some of the decisions I mentioned in my post.

Of course, why I don’t you cherry pick my post with a useless response because you are agenda-driven.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
I am not a fan of Arteta and was against his appointment. He is far too inexperienced to be charge of this club and learning his trade. The improvements I was talking about was the squad quality. That squad had a lot of issues and relied on our FBs for attacking far too much. The defense including the goalkeeper was too poor. But now we have a young, talented squad that lacks depth and experience. The coach’s inexperience and naivety didn’t help at all with some of the decisions I mentioned in my post.

Of course, why I don’t you cherry pick my post with a useless response because you are agenda-driven.
Your analysis is subjective, while mine was objective. I gave a very clear comparison between league performance between Arteta and Emery showing that objectively speaking, we have gone backwards.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Looking at our 13 losses the defeats to Everton and Man Utd in December, Southampton, Brighton and Palace in March and of course the Newcastle one really stand out as where we threw away points.

While it would have been nice to nick a couple of points from City and Liverpool they really are levels above us. We lost to Chelsea and Sp**s but we also beat both of them so honours even. Brentford I could also excuse, we had a number of players missing and Brentford were fired up in their first top flight game in decades.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Looking at our 13 losses the defeats to Everton and Man Utd in December, Southampton, Brighton and Palace in March and of course the Newcastle one really stand out as where we threw away points.

While it would have been nice to nick a couple of points from City and Liverpool they really are levels above us. We lost to Chelsea and Sp**s but we also beat both of them so honours even. Brentford I could also excuse, we had a number of players missing and Brentford were fired up in their first top flight game in decades.

Yes I was doing similar analysis over the season.

Beat Chelsea, Sp**s, United, West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, Newcastle, Brentford, Villa and the bottom at least once this season. One of those hidden stats that on the surface make for encouraging reading.

We still have work to do on the finer details, like pushing our advantage home, but something to smile about of course.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Yeah, absolutely agree. And out of those the defeats to Newcastle and Everton stung the most for different reasons.

If you take the season as a whole, then our overall performance level has been pretty good - our strength was being able to dominate the "pretender" teams - Wolves, Everton, Leicester, Villa & West Ham which is what secured us Europe. Set pieces, both attacking and defending have been pretty good this season as well.

Our weaknesses - finishing last (I think) in head to head results against the Big Six is a problem that's going to affect confidence and put a ceiling on our ambition if it's not addressed fast.

Also, we've had an inability to really dominate games and kill teams off. You can see it in our poor goal difference and all the narrow margins in lots of games. We need more goal scorers in the team but more than that it's about maintaining our level for a full 90 minutes, something that seems quite rare right now.

The other issues are about personnel /squad depth (what happens if we lose Saka, Partey, Tomiyasu and Tierney?) and possibly coaching as well. I don't see how Arteta manages to bridge the gap to the elite coaches next season (or at all even) but maybe - hopefully - he can somehow find a way to improve as well

SA Gunner

Yeah, absolutely agree. And out of those the defeats to Newcastle and Everton stung the most for different reasons.

If you take the season as a whole, then our overall performance level has been pretty good - our strength was being able to dominate the "pretender" teams - Wolves, Everton, Leicester, Villa & West Ham which is what secured us Europe. Set pieces, both attacking and defending have been pretty good this season as well.

Our weaknesses - finishing last (I think) in head to head results against the Big Six is a problem that's going to affect confidence and put a ceiling on our ambition if it's not addressed fast.

Also, we've had an inability to really dominate games and kill teams off. You can see it in our poor goal difference and all the narrow margins in lots of games. We need more goal scorers in the team but more than that it's about maintaining our level for a full 90 minutes, something that seems quite rare right now.

The other issues are about personnel /squad depth (what happens if we lose Saka, Partey, Tomiyasu and Tierney?) and possibly coaching as well. I don't see how Arteta manages to bridge the gap to the elite coaches next season (or at all even) but maybe - hopefully - he can somehow find a way to improve as well

Say yes to sober analysis.

Well said, some impressive performances from our young boys this year. It was encouraging to see us grow as a unit as the season progressed. We remember how we held on at Leicester when taking that 2 goal lead, to being able to push up, get the advantage we needed and then relatively comfortably manage the rest of the game with a deeper block and counter attack. The Chelsea game was a high profile example of how we were able to hold our own and get the result we needed, despite our shortcomings. A highlight of the season to me.

Of course, still some nervy moments but we survived. Ten men against Liverpool away, Wolves down to 10 men away showed a level of grit that we hopefully build on.

Our set piece management was up there with the best, slipping a little towards the end.

We are disappointed of course, but some sparks of quality that we must solidify and I think we will.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Say yes to sober analysis.

Well said, some impressive performances from our young boys this year. It was encouraging to see us grow as a unit as the season progressed. We remember how we held on at Leicester when taking that 2 goal lead, to being able to push up, get the advantage we needed and then relatively comfortably manage the rest of the game with a deeper block and counter attack. The Chelsea game was a high profile example of how we were able to hold our own and get the result we needed, despite our shortcomings. A highlight of the season to me.

Of course, still some nervy moments but we survived. Ten men against Liverpool away, Wolves down to 10 men away showed a level of grit that we hopefully build on.

Our set piece management was up there with the best, slipping a little towards the end.

We are disappointed of course, but some sparks of quality that we must solidify and I think we will.

You get only one!

4 more times & he'll appear wielding his red cards faster than we can refresh our screens.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
FS_mV-gXoAM_WOe

...seem to be steadily improving, at least.

SA Gunner

He's 100% correct.

There will be very little between the rest of the top six next season. I guess the Arteta-OUT folks will take this as some sort of dismissal of Arsenal because he didnt explicitly mention us. That's also fine I suppose :lol:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom