• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2022/23

Do you believe we can win the Premier League?

• Total voters

VancouverCanuck

The refs have been on our side by and large this campaign. Much like Leicester in 2015/16. They like an underdog to come through. It’s in their sub conscious.
I don’t recall the refs being on our side.

Some of the calls I remember being in our favour are Ramsdale’s non trip on a player 1v1 and Gabriel non penalty. Both were correct calls.

So it’s more like the refs being competent.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
The refs have been on our side by and large this campaign. Much like Leicester in 2015/16. They like an underdog to come through. It’s in their sub conscious.
The 3 games we dropped points in this season refs screwed us.

United Marti disallowed goal.

Southampton and Newcastle where both Gabriel’s were rugby tackled to the ground and nothing given.

They are still ****s. And they will do it again.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
The 3 games we dropped points in this season refs screwed us.

United Marti disallowed goal.

Southampton and Newcastle where both Gabriel’s were rugby tackled to the ground and nothing given.

They are still ****s. And they will do it again.

So was it the refs or was it Lokonga? I’m losing track here.

Fallout

I've gotten this impression as well in recent weeks. We seem to be given the benefit of the doubt in many 50/50 decisions nowadays, whereas in previous seasons we were rarely afforded such leniency and every potential transgression would get punished to the extreme.

That being said, I view this as being treated "fairly" for once rather than receiving any undue advantages.

Such a shame to think that the feeling of "refs being on our side" means not being blatantly robbed of points every few weeks.

Uncle Good-Advice

On a slightly different subject. What is going on with experienced managers? Are we finally starting to see the beginning of change of the guard? Or maybe we missed first signs and the rot is already well advanced? Both Klopp and Pep (and probably Conte as well) are behaving very erratically since the beginning of the season. Their transfer dealings are very suspect - Pep gave us two important players, Klopp neglected midfield in favor of some scrubs upfront, Conte bought absolute deadwood. It didn't stop there, Liverpool are playing dramatically bad, Tottenham are nowhere near us and even City isn't meeting their standards from last season or before. New signings are mostly ****. They try some tweaks but it's clear that it's not working and frustration is visible.

On the other hands some young up-and-coming managers like Arteta, De Zerbi, Ten Haag or even Howe got their teams performing much better than expected.

There were much talk about Klopp having a meltdown after few years in Dortmund which coincides now with his time at Liverpool, Pep also looks very nervous and his team selection is leaving a lot to be desired, Conte is simply jaded. Do they still have something in their tank and can turn it around? They've been at the top for so long, under a great deal of pressure for years and it must have taken toll on them. Interesting times ahead.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
On a slightly different subject. What is going on with experienced managers? Are we finally starting to see the beginning of change of the guard? Or maybe we missed first signs and the rot is already well advanced? Both Klopp and Pep (and probably Conte as well) are behaving very erratically since the beginning of the season. Their transfer dealings are very suspect - Pep gave us two important players, Klopp neglected midfield in favor of some scrubs upfront, Conte bought absolute deadwood. It didn't stop there, Liverpool are playing dramatically bad, Tottenham are nowhere near us and even City isn't meeting their standards from last season or before. New signings are mostly ****. They try some tweaks but it's clear that it's not working and frustration is visible.

On the other hands some young up-and-coming managers like Arteta, De Zerbi, Ten Haag or even Howe got their teams performing much better than expected.

There were much talk about Klopp having a meltdown after few years in Dortmund which coincides now with his time at Liverpool, Pep also looks very nervous and his team selection is leaving a lot to be desired, Conte is simply jaded. Do they still have something in their tank and can turn it around? They've been at the top for so long, under a great deal of pressure for years and it must have taken toll on them. Interesting times ahead.
Is this about the managers, or is it about having the right squad to get success. Klopp can’t be worse tactically or motivationally than he was 2 years ago, but the players have changed. Some come, some gone, some got older and now he can’t light the fire. For success the whole chemistry has to be right of which the manager is just one part.

NZgunner

I think it's about managers who demand a high workrate with a high press, closing down, etc only having a limited window with any group of players.

It happened with Pochettino and it's happening with Klopp - just look how f*cked Salah is, some players just can't keep it up season after season. This will happen with Arteta too, unless we spend crazy money and keep refreshing the team every 3 seasons or so.

bergholt

So with Cancelo going out Man City are down to really 17 outfield players:

Rodri
KDB
Haaland
Silva
Gundogan
Akanji
Stones
Foden
Ake
Grealish
Dias
Mahrez
Walker
Alvarez
Laporte
Lewis
Phillips

Mostly pretty good though. Is our squad deeper than theirs now?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Rodri
KDB
Haaland
Silva
Gundogan
Akanji
Stones
Foden
Ake
Grealish
Dias
Mahrez
Walker
Alvarez
Laporte
Lewis
Phillips

It's pretty even by my count, once everyone is fit. The difference to me is that I look at your list and I can remember every player doing something in a match so that when the fringe players come in, they are up to speed. We have the numbers but too many haven't been trusted with enough minutes to play them in a match that matters. That's where we lack playable depth.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

Rodri
KDB
Haaland
Silva
Gundogan
Akanji
Stones
Foden
Ake
Grealish
Dias
Mahrez
Walker
Alvarez
Laporte
Lewis
Phillips

How long is Stones out for?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It's pretty even by my count, once everyone is fit. The difference to me is that I look at your list and I can remember every player doing something in a match so that when the fringe players come in, they are up to speed. We have the numbers but too many haven't been trusted with enough minutes to play them in a match that matters. That's where we lack playable depth.
If you look at Martinelli, Kiwior, Eddie, and Tomi as our subs, I would say we are there. That game against them proved they have nothing over us, was a dead even game on their ground and they played their strongest team.

In a way, it still feels weird saying that after years of our struggle and their dominance :lol:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
If you look at Martinelli, Kiwior, Eddie, and Tomi as our subs, I would say we are there. That game against them proved they have nothing over us, was a dead even game on their ground and they played their strongest team.

In a way, it still feels weird saying that after years of our struggle and their dominance :lol:
Whilst you're correct, Martinelli and Eddie start atm. We now have GJ, Trossard and Nelson in reserve. What we don't have is real quality for the craft in midfield and Nelson especially is not undestandably consistent. We are close with what we have and wr can hold our own. The difference is literally the quality and number of game changers.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think it's about managers who demand a high workrate with a high press, closing down, etc only having a limited window with any group of players.

It happened with Pochettino and it's happening with Klopp - just look how f*cked Salah is, some players just can't keep it up season after season. This will happen with Arteta too, unless we spend crazy money and keep refreshing the team every 3 seasons or so.

Yes, the risk is clearly there, and I think Arteta is aware of this.

I think the next phase of development, and the challenge for Arteta is whether he can "continously build" the team, or build for a longer cycle than the likes of Klopp, without breaking the bank.

To begin with, I think we are still in the phase of building that top quality base. But thereafter we have to focus on the youth strategy again, to remain within our budgeting.

One way you do this is to line up the youth already and have them playing high quality football, or integrated into a streamlined playing system. In our case, we look at players like Brook Norton Cuffy, Charlie Patino, Azeez, Balogun, Sousa, etc., from our academy. And you top it up with low priced, buys like a Marquinhos, Martinelli, etc, looking to continue the trend.

But yes, it wont last forever, as Arteta will ultimately leave. The next manager will prefer a different approach to the game and that will upset the development work done.

bergholt

Kiwi hasn’t played a minute in England yet, might need to wait a bit on him

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
edu this summer might be your last chance with this fanbase at least you have to get these prime targets specially with CL football likely going to be secured there shouldn't be any excuses.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Anyone else get the sense City are rattled for real? I know it may have seemed light hearted but I think their players did too much trying to big bro Zinchenko but maybe I'm reading too much into it, just seemed like it's in their heads.
Yes cancelo was just shipped because he was kicking people in practice and threw a ball at Pep, then him and Foden had an altercation. To me they look tired and complacent

Latest posts

Top Bottom