• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2022/23

Do you believe we can win the Premier League?

• Total voters

amigo

A more experienced side and one that can manage a game capitalises on the little errors that City makes, that’s what it takes to win the title. You can’t be top for 247 days and have nothing to show for it come the end of the season.

I would have cut them some slack if the context was slightly different but the West Ham, Liverpool and Southampton collapses still leave a bitter taste in my mouth.
All this "top for x days" nonsense is getting out of hand. Being top can be because you played more games than another team, played before them, played weaker teams, etc. At the end of the day what matters is where you end up and the actual gap at the end which was five points (could have been a bit more if City hadn't won the league early). Injuries could mean that the players you start a season with are different to who you end it with. Just use more meaningful measures like final league position, number of points, number of goals scored and conceded to judge how well we've done. Number of weeks on top can only be an indicator of how much you enjoy the campaign. "Bottling it" talk is just dumb.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

you have to be perfect all the time because a sportswashed juggernaut is sleepwalking to 2-0 wins while heavily rotating.
This is what makes City so hard to beat over a league season. Mahrez scores a hat trick and next game he is on the bench. They win so many games hardly getting out of second gear while other teams fight like crazy for their points. This is why Liverpool can finish second on 97 points and losing all of 1 game in a season.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

All this "top for x days" nonsense is getting out of hand. Being top can be because you played more games than another team, played before them, played weaker teams, etc. At the end of the day what matters is where you end up and the actual gap at the end which was five points (could have been a bit more if City hadn't won the league early). Injuries could mean that the players you start a season with are different to who you end it with. Just use more meaningful measures like final league position, number of points, number of goals scored and conceded to judge how well we've done. Number of weeks on top can only be an indicator of how much you enjoy the campaign. "Bottling it" talk is just dumb.

Read back my post and you’ll see the point I was making.

Anyways, who will really look back 5 seasons from now and say in 2022/23 we scored this many goals? Likewise with goals conceded? All irrelevant at the end of the day, some can’t accept that we bottled it and are using this Man City are the greatest side since Arrigo Sacchi’s AC Milan team as a COPE mechanism. Like I said before, I would buy into that narrative if this was the City side from a few years back who finished the season with 97-100 points stacked with Aguero, Jesus, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Sterling, Sane, KDB, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Bernardo etc but it’s not.

We had our chance to win it but crumbled horribly in winnable games. You can’t excuse being 3-1 down to Southampton at the Emirates, dropping points from being 2-0 up against Liverpool and West Ham and the way we completely gave up against Brighton + Forest. Many points dropped there which would have been the difference of winning the title at the end of the day.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Read back my post and you’ll see the point I was making.

Anyways, who will really look back 5 seasons from now and say in 2022/23 we scored this many goals? Likewise with goals conceded? All irrelevant at the end of the day, some can’t accept that we bottled it and are using this Man City are the greatest side since Arrigo Sacchi’s AC Milan team as a COPE mechanism. Like I said before, I would buy into that narrative if this was the City side from a few years back who finished the season with 97-100 points stacked with Aguero, Jesus, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Sterling, Sane, KDB, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Bernardo etc but it’s not.

We had our chance to win it but crumbled horribly in winnable games. You can’t excuse being 3-1 down to Southampton at the Emirates, dropping points from being 2-0 up against Liverpool and West Ham and the way we completely gave up against Brighton + Forest. Many points dropped there which would have been the difference of winning the title at the end of the day.
City would have won out and not drawn and lost their final two if they would have had to. I am fairly certain of that. Once we had the injuries we had, and we struggled to win games I think the team lost a bit of confidence, combined with often used players becoming fatigued at the end of the season and losing form. So we failed to get to the required points total, which would have been 94 points. 10 more than we ended up at.

I do for the life of me not understand this obsession with wanting to maintain that we "bottled" it? I personally think it is surely just to have another stick to beat Arteta with. Just one in a long line of sticks used, now that old faithfuls like poor league position, failing to secure CL, poor goal difference etc. are no longer useful.

Many then hide behind some mealy mouthed statements of support of Arteta, while going on about this so called "bottle job".

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

City would have won out and not drawn and lost their final two if they would have had to. I am fairly certain of that. Once we had the injuries we had, and we struggled to win games I think the team lost a bit of confidence, combined with often used players becoming fatigued at the end of the season and losing form. So we failed to get to the required points total, which would have been 94 points. 10 more than we ended up at.

I do for the life of me not understand this obsession with wanting to maintain that we "bottled" it? I personally think it is surely just to have another stick to beat Arteta with. Just one in a long line of sticks used, now that old faithfuls like poor league position, failing to secure CL, poor goal difference etc. are no longer useful.

Many then hide behind some mealy mouthed statements of support of Arteta, while going on about this so called "bottle job".

I support Arsenal not Arteta FC. Whenever a bit of criticism comes our way, I don’t know why his avid supporters get very defensive like every shot is coming his way. Do you think he hasn’t shown his naivety throughout the season, lack of cojones when things weren’t going our way and lack of tactical flexibility? The same guy stuck with Holding because he was too scared to throw Kiwior in then gave Kiwior a chance when the pressure was off. Same thing with Trossard and Nelson who looked great in the little cameos they had but he didn’t want to start them. From a tactical standpoint, he didn’t even try to do anything different, he tried the same thing and expected different results which was quite bizarre. Also with fatigue who’s to blame for that? Why play the same individuals and neglect the rest of the squad? It shows a lack of trust for the players sitting on the bench but he’s ready to sign them up to new deals and act like nothing has happened.

The business end of the season is where a manager earns his money and twice he’s failed at it + his European record hasn’t been great at all. All good finishing second which I said wasn’t bad when you assess where we came from by everything has to be contextualise.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I support Arsenal not Arteta FC. Whenever a bit of criticism comes our way, I don’t know why his avid supporters get very defensive like every shot is coming his way. Do you think he hasn’t shown his naivety throughout the season, lack of cojones when things weren’t going our way and lack of tactical flexibility? The same guy stuck with Holding because he was too scared to throw Kiwior in then gave Kiwior a chance when the pressure was off. Same thing with Trossard and Nelson who looked great in the little cameos they had but he didn’t want to start them. From a tactical standpoint, he didn’t even try to do anything different, he tried the same thing and expected different results which was quite bizarre. Also with fatigue who’s to blame for that? Why play the same individuals and neglect the rest of the squad? It shows a lack of trust for the players sitting on the bench but he’s ready to sign them up to new deals and act like nothing has happened.

The business end of the season is where a manager earns his money and twice he’s failed at it + his European record hasn’t been great at all. All good finishing second which I said wasn’t bad when you assess where we came from by everything has to be contextualise.
See, your post is just confirmation of my point. Congratulations, you have found another stick to beat Arteta with. Looking forward to seeing you and others use it until the new season starts up...

Latest posts+

Top Bottom