• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Preston VS Arsenal 7th january 17.30 BT sport Fa cup

who will win in

• Arsenal

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Preston

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Our 'dream midfield duo' for a lot of people on here struggling against Preston, convince me that our midfield hasn't got serious problems :lol: Can't wait to see them at Stamford Bridge and Bayern.
I know, frightening really. Have to say Xhaka's been a big disappointment for me. Too slow and his close control under pressure ain't great. He's fine when he has time to distribute the ball but I can now see why he wasn't in our early games. Ramsey & Xhaka will be mauled by any top midfield, they just don't have the necessary skillz in the engine room, i.e. close control, ball skillz and in Ramsey's case the necessary passing ability. Thankfully, we have a lot of winnable games between now & when Elneny & Le Coq return. Santi's another issue as we don't have anyone in the team capable of providing what he does. How has Arsène been left with such poverty midfield options?

What's the deal with Zelalem? No hope or is he someone for next season. We need someone with some close control and passing abiliy in our midfield badly.

say yes

forum master baiter
Good to see that we're criticising Giroud/Ramsey for comments that they didn't even make. Arsenal Mania as on the ball as ever.

Being caught off guard by Preston's intensity/commitment in the first half (and saying they need to start games much better), is not the same as saying we hadn't done any preparation for the game.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Preston gave it their all in the first half and they caught us by surprise with their intensity and grit. But it was evident they'll drop off immensely in the second half so I wasn't worried. We produced a professional display in the second half and avoided a replay and that was all we were looking for in this fixture.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
To whom??
To the opposition and ourselves too. I would like to believe Arsenal pay maximum respect, attention and competitiveness to Barcelona, Preston or any team we face. Its professionalism and a compliment that any and every opponent deserves.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Think it was Giroud or Ramsey after the game who said they didn't know a lot about Preston and were surprised by them. That's what we're dealing with here, compare that to Mourinho saying yesterday he'd watched tapes of Reading and watched one four times over.
I remember a few years ago Chelsea played some lower leagued team in a cup. Afterwards their manager came out and said Mourinho handed him a 20 page dossier on his team ranging from who a player was more likely to pass it to, a report on each player and their tactics. He couldn't believe Chelsea who were champions at the time would goto such detail for a club ranked so far below them.

4R5Emaniac

I remember a few years ago Chelsea played some lower leagued team in a cup. Afterwards their manager came out and said Mourinho handed him a 20 page dossier on his team ranging from who a player was more likely to pass it to, a report on each player and their tactics. He couldn't believe Chelsea who were champions at the time would goto such detail for a club ranked so far below them.
This. Its no surprise he has won so much and players want to play for him despite being a thundercvnt.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good to see that we're criticising Giroud/Ramsey for comments that they didn't even make. Arsenal Mania as on the ball as ever.

Being caught off guard by Preston's intensity/commitment in the first half (and saying they need to start games much better), is not the same as saying we hadn't done any preparation for the game.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/olivier-giroud-aaron-ramsey-admit-9582171

yeah, the interview for both players clearly stated they were surprised by Preston's commitment in the first half.
However, the written text in the article is changed to Preston's quality

2 different things, as the first statement clearly a praise toward a well playing opposition, while the article gravitated toward unpreparedness / undermining opposition

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

What the eff were they expecting though? Away to a prestigious English club in the oldest Cup competition in the world, what else were PNE going to do? I can't believe the naivety here. Surely at the very least they should have been aware that PNE would be well up for it.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What the eff were they expecting though? Away to a prestigious English club in the oldest Cup competition in the world, what else were PNE going to do? I can't believe the naivety here. Surely at the very least they should have been aware that PNE would be well up for it.
to simplify things, its an elaborate way to say GGWP Preston

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse

In all fairness though, the comment (assuming it was made) about being caught out by PNE's intensity has been made numerous times, this season and in the past - why weren't they prepared for it. It's exactly what you should be prepared for, particularly after you were caught out by it at Bournemouth 4 days earlier.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I think we taked this game to lightly, we need to learn that no match should been taken for granted. you cannot question our mentality because we bounced back a few times already this season, but something just isnt right.

Goonerozil33

To the opposition and ourselves too. I would like to believe Arsenal pay maximum respect, attention and competitiveness to Barcelona, Preston or any team we face. Its professionalism and a compliment that any and every opponent deserves.
you cannot show the same amount of respect, attention and competitiveness to both barca and Preston. It is humanely impossible. To expect something like that is just idealistic. You don't want to do detailed analysis of every team you play in a season. That will exhaust the players and mentally drain them sooner. These are matches you turn up and win while expending minimum energy.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
It's easy to brush this off with the old 'all big teams struggle against smaller sides in the cup' line. That's not the point, the point is that we played very poorly. This is off the back of conceding 3 at Bournemouth and losing 2 on the spin not long before that. It didn't really look like complacency to me, it looked like we were as **** and vulnerable as we were against Bournemouth earlier in the week.

We're going into an important period of games. We have 3 very winnable games in a row then we play Chelsea away. If we play like we have done the last 4 games we'll struggle to even beat Swansea next weekend, never mind compete with Chelsea. Then we'll find ourselves scrapping for 4th place again.

4R5Emaniac

you cannot show the same amount of respect, attention and competitiveness to both barca and Preston. It is humanely impossible. To expect something like that is just idealistic. You don't want to do detailed analysis of every team you play in a season. That will exhaust the players and mentally drain them sooner. These are matches you turn up and win while expending minimum energy.
Lets agree to disagree mate. I can definitely see that some pragmatism is important like not playing your best players in every game against everyone but I stick to my points re preparing to the max against all opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom