• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

say yes

forum master baiter
I love the Premier League and domestic competition, so would hate to see a new European league which supplants it, but truth be told the current European competitions suck.

Decided I am now in favour of a European Super League, as long as we get better referees.

Reactions: A_G

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The whole project is a protection ring for the teams that have benefited from unfettered capitalism engulfing football. The Champions League is about as closed shop as you can get this would just make it worse. I'd switch off and go back to Irish league football. But I get some kids in China and what not will enjoy seeing all the top Fifa teams play each other week in week out.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Spain Italy England France and Germany should get 5 spots the other 7 remaining to be decided in playoff round between the other European countries. This should be close to the super league they wanted

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Professional sports league organization modelled after USA league system won't work here in Europe. Football is more than a corporate business here.

Harz

Agnelli is a **** Juventus are ****ty cheaters and EXOR sucks

I don't understand why they keep on pushing for this horrendous idea that faces backlash every single time it's mentioned

How do they not understand there isn't money to be made if there aren't any viewers?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Agnelli is a **** Juventus are ****ty cheaters and EXOR sucks

I don't understand why they keep on pushing for this horrendous idea that faces backlash every single time it's mentioned

How do they not understand there isn't money to be made if there aren't any viewers?

There will be viewers unfortunately. The Juventus - Barcelona game when Messi and Ronaldo both featured this year broke viewing records globally.

There’s always going to be an appetite for these mega clashes. The Champions League even with UEFA trying to help all the big teams get to the latter stages is still to random.

This way you’re guaranteed constant Real Madrid/Barcelona vs Premier League match ups every week.

Harz

There will be viewers unfortunately. The Juventus - Barcelona game when Messi and Ronaldo both featured this year broke viewing records globally.

There’s always going to be an appetite for these mega clashes. The Champions League even with UEFA trying to help all the big teams get to the latter stages is still to random.

This way you’re guaranteed constant Real Madrid/Barcelona vs Premier League match ups every week.
Right, this is the idea they more or less have, but I disagree about the viewer success. While it may at first be true, part of the reason why these big fixtures draw so many viewers is that they're rare and big. It's no longer a big fixture if it happens every week.

After a while, some of the super teams would be treated as boring fixtures and the fickle global plastic success is bound to dry up at that point.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Right, this is the idea they more or less have, but I disagree about the viewer success. While it may at first be true, part of the reason why these big fixtures draw so many viewers is that they're rare and big. It's no longer a big fixture if it happens every week.

After a while, some of the super teams would be treated as boring fixtures and the fickle global plastic success is bound to dry up at that point.
Depends if we reach a saturation point.

If you look at Liverpool for example when they won the CL they only played four games against teams who wouldn’t be included in the ESL and the excitement over every round was through the roof.

Whilst you’re right that there was a novelty if you cap the amount of games and add playoffs there’s still going to be huge hype similar to the NFL or glamour CL matchups.

Its clear that no one at UEFA wants Liverpool vs Red Star or Barcelona vs Astana and this gives them a way to cut out the smaller clubs.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

It's easy to attack the big suits but then for instance you watch the Barca v PSG game a few weeks back and you're like holy sh*t this is so much better than all other football, and you'd kinda understand why the suits want more of that. But maybe that match only felt so amazing was because it was preceded by a drab winter of domestic football?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It's easy to attack the big suits but then for instance you watch the Barca v PSG game a few weeks back and you're like holy sh*t this is so much better than all other football, and you'd kinda understand why the suits want more of that. But maybe that match only felt so amazing was because it was preceded by a drab winter of domestic football?

That’s a problem of their own making. Top footballers today are concentrated across a smaller group than ever before.

Compared to even ten years ago the big five leagues have become so uncompetitive. There should’ve been restrictions on the depth in quality these teams should’ve been allowed to amass.

City’s second XI would probably finish top 4 in the league ffs. The reason the NFL does so well is that it distributes the star quality well and keeps the league competitive.

If six clubs have every world class player but don’t face each other then the quality of the games is really poor.

Guys like Mahrez shouldn’t be playing 60 minutes every other game and that’s it. He should be playing every week for a team like Leicester able to showcase his talents.

Careers are short and it’s a major problem for me that so many entertainers are just a small piece of a ridiculously deep squad.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
That’s a problem of their own making. Top footballers today are concentrated across a smaller group than ever before.

Compared to even ten years ago the big five leagues have become so uncompetitive. There should’ve been restrictions on the depth in quality these teams should’ve been allowed to amass.

City’s second XI would probably finish top 4 in the league ffs. The reason the NFL does so well is that it distributes the star quality well and keeps the league competitive.

If six clubs have every world class player but don’t face each other then the quality of the games is really poor.

Guys like Mahrez shouldn’t be playing 60 minutes every other game and that’s it. He should be playing every week for a team like Leicester able to showcase his talents.

Careers are short and it’s a major problem for me that so many entertainers are just a small piece of a ridiculously deep squad.

Top post

giphy.gif

blaze_of_glory

Yeah. As with just about every issue in the world it's rooted in who has money (and therefore power) and who doesn't.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
The whole project is a protection ring for the teams that have benefited from unfettered capitalism engulfing football. The Champions League is about as closed shop as you can get this would just make it worse. I'd switch off and go back to Irish league football. But I get some kids in China and what not will enjoy seeing all the top Fifa teams play each other week in week out.
I wish the CL was a closed shop. We'd still be in it ;)

Top Bottom