<

Project Big Picture

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by American_Gooner, Oct 11, 2020.

?

Would you be in favour of reducing the Premier League to 18 teams?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief Trusted

Sad

2. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

3. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member Trusted

Does anyone know anything specific AFC has had to say on this? A couple of articles suggest J W Henry has been looking at this for years but I'm suspicious of his timing and also can't see how Utd benefit. Will newly rich clubs also leave us further back than we currently are or does this project even things out more? I have a sinking feeling that the timing sucks for us.

4. DanDare

On the face of it its hard to see how we would be disadvantaged. The £250m seasonal redistribution would come from dividing the PL TV money 18 ways rather than 20 for the most part and getting rid of balloon payments.

Norwich and Watford got roughly £95m each last season. The parachute payments are around £250m in total so that's £450m saved minus the £250m give to lower leagues under the proposals. Then there's plans for giving some money to good causes and the FA which I presume accounts for the other £200m from the £450m saved

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  5. Beksl

Beksl Sell All The Youngsters

Typical redistribution of wealth from poor to rich hapenning with this proposal.

Hope it doesn't materialise.

6. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

It leaves a sour taste in the mouth that man city that was a small club a decade ago will now be one of the club's calling the shots.
    Aston villa is a bigger club historically than city but just because city hit the jackpot they're now considered royalty?

Sad

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  7. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member Trusted

Thanks for the info. As you say, you can't see us being disadvantaged. So far, I see a gain of about £8m from reducing the PL to 18 clubs. I would hope that the money to the FA and good causes would be less than £200m tbh. I also believe Suning who own part of Inter weren't able to pay their dues to the PL due to covid. Without knowing specific figures re TV money, nobody can quantify our potential gain. We've just slimmed down our own club staff and I'm a bit wary of propping up the bloated lower leagues and lost causes like Stoke City. I'm just suspicious and not feeling the "love" right now.

8. DanDare

Can you explain?

9. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

10. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

It's a no from me Jeff.

There is no "Big Six" - it's a bullshit term cooked up by SkySports. There are historically 3 big teams in England - Liverpool, United and Arsenal.

11. DanDare

Mrs Bergkamp and Jae like this.
  12. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Point proven :lol: thanks mate you're a good en.

GoonerJay24 and DanDare like this.
  13. DanDare

Man City and Chelsea in the dust :lol:

Oxeki and Jae like this.
  14. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Where they belong :lol:

Oxeki and DanDare like this.
  15. GoonerJay24

GoonerJay24 Well-Known Member

It has been for the last few years, remember 18/19 and 12/13?

GDeep™ likes this.
  16. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

You're both right, although I'm unfamiliar with what the NFL system is.

As far as this goes. Isn't the 250m just a loan? There has to be something there, I know there are power grabs in there and the money is little more than a "bribe". But I just want to know where that money is coming from because its a very expensive bribe, especially in these times.

They can save the EFL clubs without implementing any of their ghoulish policies. So let's see how much they really care about the Football division. When the proposal is turned down, are they still going to give the EFL the money?

That's when we'll know whether the PL is for real or not.

17. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

It’s more akin to signing your rights away. I would advise any clubs considering the proposal to simply reject it in the current form. Why should 9 clubs get to decide who can buy or invest in another club? Why should the get special dispensation in regards to accounting practices and tax rebates that others cannot access? Why should they be given favourable voting rights or greater portion of multiple revenue streams?

Let us call it what it is, a power play dressed up as concern for the lower leagues. Except we can see through their actions and self centered approach.

Beksl and Nom de Plume like this.
  18. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Not sure about that, wasn’t there always the big 5 - Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool, Sp**s, Everton etc.

The big 6 has just developed from that, the City and Chelsea money allowing them to enter while Everton fall out after not doing anything since the 80’s.

19. Riou

Riou A-M's Resident Jobber

Unlike Sp**s, who have just been snapping up trophies in that time...

Oxeki likes this.
  20. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

I don't think FA will agree to it. If they do, they're basically signing away their power to the so called 'big six'