<

Project Big Picture

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by American_Gooner, Oct 11, 2020.

?

Would you be in favour of reducing the Premier League to 18 teams?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

2. Macho

Macho Established Member Trusted

They know they are the main attraction in this league, so no doubt they are not afraid to leverage this.

I feel like these radical proposals are just proposals, they will eventually get whatever it is they really want but obviously not all that other bullsh*t.

An educated guess, I would say what they are really after is less domestic fixtures to give them space to play more Euro fixtures or marketing focused friendlies - would probably be top of their list.

Also renegotiating the way broadcast revenue is distributed in their favour to mimic Barca and Madrid, rather than how it’s sold now as an overall package.

I suspect the people who came up with this wasn’t expecting it to be leaked at this stage.

3. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief Trusted

If the TV package is made less equal it will totally ruin the league

4. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

The disclosure this week of plans by a conglomerate of the top Premier League clubs to reform the financial structure of English football seems to have caused an irrevocable stir.

The latest to weigh in on the debate is David Dein, who was largely critical of the proposal.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...rough-by-premier-league-clubs-says-david-dein

Arsène Wenger however recently commented that 92 clubs is too many and that there seems to be a consensus that the current structure of English football is unsustainable.

With several clubs thought to be on the brink, what are your thoughts about the way forward? Is it the responsibility of top clubs to provide financial support for lower league sides?

5. El Duderino

El Duderino 99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One Trusted

Yeah, I can see that. Throw a bunch of **** at the wall and see what sticks, move from there.

6. El Duderino

Yes and no? It's different in England, where smallers clubs seem to be a part of the community, plenty of UK based people on the forum have hometown clubs.

There's a cultural aspect to this, so it would be nice it's preserved. Think there's point to be had with developing players, etc.

Overall the influx of TV money has been positive to the league, as it allows teams who are newly promoted to push on a bit more and it's become a bit more competitive and even clubs like Westham, Villa, etc., regardless of league standing, now have a couple of flashy names on their books.

Having United and Liverpool get a large piece of the pie because of "history" is just idiotic though, you get to the top by being well run overall. Liverpool themselves have proven that.

celestis and Mo Britain like this.
  7. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member Trusted

I really enjoyed listening to Wenger and Dein and both make good points. I especially liked Dein's comment about the big 6 being the money generators and he's right about the founding voting rights not being tampered with. My conscience says that we have a duty to help the smaller struggling clubs but my head says that we aren't financially buoyant either. Wenger has a point about there being too many clubs so it's tempting to wait until the new year and see who is left standing. I'd love to see Stoke disappear.

8. American_Gooner

what do we think of this idea? Pep has mentioned it a few times as well iirc

9. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member Trusted

I agree with much if what you say but I hope Dein is right when he says that weekends are the preserve of domestic football. As for Utd and Liverpool being the main attraction, I'm not sure. Liverpool are only doing this because they've had two years of top success and Utd have been trash for about five years. It's just a strike while Liverpool are hot with Utd clinging on to make a grab as befits their status as the biggest PL club. I don't trust either of these clubs and I'm glad the news is out with hopefully an upsurge of distrust directed at them.

celestis and Macho like this.
  10. Macho

Macho Established Member Trusted

It’s needed.

Unless you’re a mercurial talent like Cesc in his teens, the jump from under 23s to senior team is too awkward.

Even if the players are talented and technically proficient there’s just too much pressure in men’s football to prioritise development unless you’re a manager lucky enough to have complete freedom to do so.

A lot of Landsburys who have got lost in the shuffle over the years. I think B teams would help remedy this.

11. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

These two teams are the main attraction? Sez them! Liverpool have gone very cocky since last season, they weren;t that cocky a few years ago. Or when they were in the second division in the fifties for that matter.

I would love it if they were kicked out of the league.

The fans have spoken and most sensible people abhor the rubbish they are proposing. Let them rot.

El Duderino likes this.
  12. El Duderino

Idk, not really digging b teams. Chelsea and City are likely loving this idea, Liverpool as well. Imagine the money they'd make off of Bournemouth et. al.

Plus, once more we have the point of many traditional clubs that happen to play league 1 football, there's quite a big following in there and having Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal B, etc., just kind of ruins it, seeing as B teams likely won't be allowed a promotion.

celestis and American_Gooner like this.
  13. American_Gooner

I wonder if this is connected...

14. Red London

Red London Anti-Simp Culture Trusted

I hope they give another spot or two to the PL if they do expand the CL.

Its too competitive here right now. There's like 8 clubs fighting for top4.

15. El Duderino

Don't rally dig this if it's at the expense of the league matches tho.

Seems the big clubs just want more match and TV revenue.

American_Gooner likes this.
  16. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Unless there are more qualifying rounds - which doesn't do much to revenues for teams who will be regularly knocked out in them - all this would lead to is more boring mismatches.

The Nations Cup has actually shown the benefits of seeding teams in tiers.

17. American_Gooner

18. American_Gooner

19. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

Not exactly the Barclays is it.

El Duderino likes this.
  20. American_Gooner