• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

The biggest reveal in this nonsense idea and the reason they really want this is;

"Some are set to provide a safety net for big teams who dont qualify through league finishes".

That is what all this is about, money, keeping there place in the money making competitions, big clubs CL places they dont want threatened and its pathetic.

It reaks of your stereotypical billionaire, competing isnt what they want, they want to remove the competition and have everything for themselves.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah. As with just about every issue in the world it's rooted in who has money (and therefore power) and who doesn't.

This is the major issue facing FIFA today imo. It’s becoming worse than American sports in terms of competitiveness.

League campaigns in three out of the big five are over before they’ve begun usually and England and Spain are pretty closed shops as well now.

Then out of the hundreds of potential entrants for European competition each year you only have about six potential winners who will be the same clubs year after year.

The talent pool needs spreading out again. It was good for the game to have guys like Larsson and Overmars playing in smaller leagues for as long as they did.

If they came through today they’d be poached at 18 then sent on loans for three or four years until they’re ready to play.

I like seeing Grealish and Zaha playing at smaller clubs. It’s made the league below Man City so competitive this year.

Ideally the likes of Camavinga could stay where he is for a few more years rather than playing cup games and the odd league appearance for Real Madrid.

These guys should be enjoyed every week and the likes of PSG and Bayern might actually have some rivals.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Imagine breaking through like Haaland or Mbappe and not being able to move to Madrid etc

Madness.

Obviously they’re so ridiculously good they’ll be playing every week but do the likes of Ødegaard and Laporte really need to go months without playing stuck on the bench?

Wage cap needs to get introduced.

Harz

League campaigns in three out of the big five are over before they’ve begun usually and England and Spain are pretty closed shops as well now.
I agree with most of what you said but out of the top 5 leagues, only the PL title race is truly over. Honestly, this will happen every now and then it's only fair when a team dominates the league so well.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
So what's actually the effect of a ban on transfers between CL clubs? Does it mean once you arrive at a CL club you just have to stay there forever or until you're no longer good enough? Does it spread the talent around or does it concentrate it even more at the top?

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
So what's actually the effect of a ban on transfers between CL clubs? Does it mean once you arrive at a CL club you just have to stay there forever or until you're no longer good enough? Does it spread the talent around or does it concentrate it even more at the top?

Its all bollocks, its not going to happen; its the standard outrageous statement they come out with in public so whatever the real idea that follows/gets agreed upon is easily accepted.

Coutinho to Barca, Hazard to Real, big clubs have to rebuild from time to time as well, they need the transfers between each other and it pays to sell assets, if this was to happen they would have no market to sell.

The only clubs who would float this idea will be the Italian clubs so no one can take there players and they can use Serie A as an academy.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Its all bollocks, its not going to happen; its the standard outrageous statement they come out with in public so whatever the real idea that follows/gets agreed upon is easily accepted.

Coutinho to Barca, Hazard to Real, big clubs have to rebuild from time to time as well, they need the transfers between each other and it pays to sell assets, if this was to happen they would have no market to sell.

The only clubs who would float this idea will be the Italian clubs so no one can take there players and they can use Serie A as an academy.

I guess so yeah, I really can't imagine how such a system would be implemented. The situation with wages could change though and it's got to start this summer. For example if Messi agrees to lower wages that will set the tone, then Neymar and Mbappe follow, and hopefully it trickles down until wage expectations across the board are more in line with economic realities.

Something like 60% of a club's turnover goes on wages, so basically the biggest problem clubs have right now is they're paying players the same wages but without the same turnover. Wages need to go down.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I guess so yeah, I really can't imagine how such a system would be implemented. The situation with wages could change though and it's got to start this summer. For example if Messi agrees to lower wages that will set the tone, then Neymar and Mbappe follow, and hopefully it trickles down until wage expectations across the board are more in line with economic realities.

Something like 60% of a club's turnover goes on wages, so basically the biggest problem clubs have right now is they're paying players the same wages but without the same turnover. Wages need to go down.

Personally I cannot see wages going down, Messi is at an age where he may take a lower wage to stay at Barca but that would be age related.

Mbappe will only expect an increase in wages with his next move, I've posted before how if I'm Mbappe I'm leaving on a free and making a killing in replace of transfer fee.

Football will eventually return to how it was pre Covid, stadiums will be full and it will be as reckless as it was before.

I highly doubt players are taking pay cuts, history has proved time and time again that money is what runs football and where players play, players can pretend they're at clubs for other reasons but its all b.s, Neymar and Mbappe joining PSG was purely a money based decision, so many players chat **** on the subject (moved to be part of the project blah blah) when its obvious to everyone why they find themselves in China or some weird place in Russia like Anzhi..

Could you imagine if all the 'big clubs' in this 'super league' agreed to a wage cap of 100k a week and then Houston Dynamo for example started offering 200-300k to play in the MLS, 100% we would be watching Mbappe line up for the Dynamo with Neymar on the wing and a host of other top players playing in the MLS spewing out some nonsense about how the MLS is now the best league in the world..

All the 'big clubs' have the best players because they pay the highest wages, **** lets be real, Man City, PSG and Chelsea werent even considered big clubs yet players joined for the 'project', if Burnley got taken over tomorrow by Jeff Bezos who was offering out the higjest wages then come summer Burnley would have Neymar if they wanted him!

Sorry for the rant but my point being is no pay cut will happen, only thing they can do now is enforce a salary cap.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Personally I cannot see wages going down, Messi is at an age where he may take a lower wage to stay at Barca but that would be age related.

Mbappe will only expect an increase in wages with his next move, I've posted before how if I'm Mbappe I'm leaving on a free and making a killing in replace of transfer fee.

Football will eventually return to how it was pre Covid, stadiums will be full and it will be as reckless as it was before.

I highly doubt players are taking pay cuts, history has proved time and time again that money is what runs football and where players play, players can pretend they're at clubs for other reasons but its all b.s, Neymar and Mbappe joining PSG was purely a money based decision, so many players chat **** on the subject (moved to be part of the project blah blah) when its obvious to everyone why they find themselves in China or some weird place in Russia like Anzhi..

Could you imagine if all the 'big clubs' in this 'super league' agreed to a wage cap of 100k a week and then Houston Dynamo for example started offering 200-300k to play in the MLS, 100% we would be watching Mbappe line up for the Dynamo with Neymar on the wing and a host of other top players playing in the MLS spewing out some nonsense about how the MLS is now the best league in the world..

All the 'big clubs' have the best players because they pay the highest wages, **** lets be real, Man City, PSG and Chelsea werent even considered big clubs yet players joined for the 'project', if Burnley got taken over tomorrow by Jeff Bezos who was offering out the higjest wages then come summer Burnley would have Neymar if they wanted him!

Sorry for the rant but my point being is no pay cut will happen, only thing they can do now is enforce a salary cap.

You're right obviously money does run football, and eventually money returns, but that's not necessarily this year or even next. There is going to be a slump, that is simply unavoidable surely. If a club usually spends 60% of turnover on wages and suddenly it has much less money, eventually the players are going to bankrupt the club or they have to collectively accept a wage cut until the club can recover financially.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is PSG giving in to Neymar and Mbappe's wage demands, cos it'll just have a knock-on effect elsewhere. If Mbappe wants 700k a week good luck to him, not a single club in world football is gonna give him that in the covid climate.

It's not so far-fetched. Our players agreed a small wage cut. There was a club in France, i forget which one, where the players collectively agreed a wage cut because the club was struggling so much. That basically needs to happen everywhere. I know players turn around and say "I signed a contract" but they need to wake up and realise their huge wages are partly funded by ticket sales, you shouldn't earn the same amount if there are no fans paying to watch you.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
You're right obviously money does run football, and eventually money returns, but that's not necessarily this year or even next. There is going to be a slump, that is simply unavoidable surely. If a club usually spends 60% of turnover on wages and suddenly it has much less money, eventually the players are going to bankrupt the club or they have to collectively accept a wage cut until the club can recover financially.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is PSG giving in to Neymar and Mbappe's wage demands, cos it'll just have a knock-on effect elsewhere. If Mbappe wants 700k a week good luck to him, not a single club in world football is gonna give him that in the covid climate.

It's not so far-fetched. Our players agreed a small wage cut. There was a club in France, i forget which one, where the players collectively agreed a wage cut because the club was struggling so much. That basically needs to happen everywhere. I know players turn around and say "I signed a contract" but they need to wake up and realise their huge wages are partly funded by ticket sales, you shouldn't earn the same amount if there are no fans paying to watch you.

The fans will return though, I'm not fully upto speed on all the Covid cuts the players took but arent they just deferred and they will get the money down the line?

June 2021 or whenever stadiums go back to normal and full attendance the pay will presumably go back to how it was.

Also, a lot of this is on the clubs/legal teams, they hand out these massive contracts and someone should have predicted how or if they would pay players under contract in circumstances where fans or income gets affected. I know people will question how you can predict a global pandemic but pre covid the UK was on high alert for terrorist attacks, stadiums could have been targeted and shut, there was a world war which stopped football before, there have been tragedies, diseases etc which have stopped sports before, I cant imagine it will be overlooked again but there should have been something in the contracts to reduce wages if no football is being played and I cannot imagine top flight footballers would have questioned such a thing pre covid when you're getting upwards of 20k per week.

Dont get me wrong, I do get what your saying, it can appear somewhat 'dickish' refusing to lower your 100k weekly pay to 75k per week during Covid season BUT I also agree with the question why should they when Stan Kroenke is billionaire rich and hes not exactly dippin' into his pocket first.

The other thing is yeah maybe Carl Jenkinson would take a pay cut but what if you're Özil and youre being asked to take a pay cut whilst at the same time the people asking are actively trying to show you the exit :lol:

Money, morals and football is a very bad mix.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

lool this is a terrible idea
I thought the same off first reading, but it really just talks about transfers/specifically fees I believe. The beginning of the full quote of the Guardian article is “No triple-figures transfers between Champions League participating clubs...”, but it doesn’t say anything about players changing clubs if they’re at the end of their deals within the piece.

The game is somewhat headed that way already due players seeing out their contract to get signing on fees, Covid will send it into overdrive most likely, so really it just stops huge money outlays or doggy deals (like Chelsea with Morata or Luiz for example).

I see how it somewhat makes sense, but it just makes it harder for anyone else to break into the CL so they know what they’re doing.

Reactions: A_G

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I wish the CL was a closed shop. We'd still be in it ;)
Meh the whole top 4 and extra money gained from CL qualification basically made it as such. Not our fault we lost our grip on that. But between the money for qualifying and the preferential draw in the last round its pretty much a closed shop.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom