• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pundits and their wisdom

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Wow, that video was embarrassing. Rich guy in expensive car resorts to spitting on someone because he's a salty prick. Says a lot about his character. If you're an adult and you spit on someone (nevermind a 14-year-old ffs) in the heat of an argument, you probably need to grow the **** up.

Wouldn't blame them for sacking him over this tbh. The incident itself wasn't dangerous or anything like that, but what it says about his character would probably be enough for me to reconsider wanting him representing my business.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

If I was wearing my work ID and I spat at a member of the public because they laughed at my haircut or did something equally as trivial, I'm losing my job without question and I'll no doubt face charges.

Why should Carragher be any different? Oh, he used to play football, is a millionaire and earns a few hundred thousand pounds a year. Got it.

Maybe spitting is a more acceptable response where some of you are from. I dont know, but Im scratching my head here.

Spitting is one of the lower acts in so many cultures partly because you can actually catch something from it . What in the World could be going through his head to spit ,he's insulated in a car not walking down the street . He wasn't even copping abuse , was in no danger just turn up the stereo ffs . If this was Suarez , or some other undesirable there would be at the very least there would be an out of court settlement.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Spitting is one of the lower acts in so many cultures partly because you can actually catch something from it . What in the World could be going through his head to spit ,he's insulated in a car not walking down the street . He wasn't even copping abuse , was in no danger just turn up the stereo ffs . If this was Suarez , or some other undesirable there would be at the very least there would be an out of court settlement.
seen many people die in movies after spitting at the villain

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
People are only going overboard as its Carragher, if this was one of your friends or family members who done this I bet the outrage wouldnt be as strong.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
People are only going overboard as its Carragher, if this was one of your friends or family members who done this I bet the outrage wouldnt be as strong.
I’d be equally as disgusted, possibly more. The outrage, for me, is he won’t be punished like a friend or member of the family would, and his status as a famous ex footballer and Sky pundit means the family are more inclined to accept a public apology because it’s ‘Carra off the tele’ and he’s going to grace us with his presence once more by coming round for a cup a tea, a chat and to seal the deal with complimentary tickets. Then there’s people actually choosing to focus on the fathers actions as if he somehow had it coming. Unbelievable.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I’d be equally as disgusted, possibly more. The outrage, for me, is he won’t be punished like a friend or member of the family would, and his status as a famous ex footballer and Sky pundit means the family are more inclined to accept a public apology because it’s ‘Carra off the tele’ and he’s going to grace us with his presence once more by coming round for a cup a tea, a chat and to seal the deal with complimentary tickets. Then there’s people actually choosing to focus on the fathers actions as if he somehow had it coming. Unbelievable.
It's the same reaction I remember when George Best and Gazza beat their wives up - because it was them appalling behaviour became unimportant, even excusable

And for some nothing's changed

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's the same reaction I remember when George Best and Gazza beat their wives up - because it was them appalling behaviour became unimportant, even excusable

And for some nothing's changed
People tend to dig for justification when it’s someone in the public eye—particularly with sportsman. A politician or a working class man/woman wouldn’t be afforded the same. It’s disturbing.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Are you really comparing this incident to spousal abuse? Really?!
She clearly isn’t ffs. She’s merely highlighted or used an example of how being famous or adored can skew public opinion. The severity of the crime is irrelevant here, but you knew that.

Who’s to say what’s worse anyway? Being spat in the face by your partner or punched in the face by your partner? I’d rather be punched myself.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
What's wrong with selling the video anyway? Dont tell me you wouldn't do the same
Personally I'd keep the video and use it to blackmail Carragher.
They didn't ask him to flob at them, did they? You see, that's where it went wrong. There'd be no video without the flob!
They didn't ask him to spit at them but the dad clearly wanted a reaction, that's why he got his phone out.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
They didn't ask him to spit at them but the dad clearly wanted a reaction, that's why he got his phone out.
That’s so unfair. Jesus. Can you imagine how many footballers get trolled in their cars every week up and down the country by people filming them? I highly doubt it solely to get a reaction. They are famous footballers. It’s simply done because they can do it and film it these days. It happened before phones had cameras and it wasn’t done to get a reaction then. You’d think that being on camera would deter a reaction ffs!

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
there's a discussion on Radio5Live about spitting, and several male callers are still upset about being spat on many years after the event - it's clearly a lot less trivial event than some on here would have us believe

it makes the recipient feel degraded and dirty, and wanting to rush off and shower

having said all this, I would agree to taking Carragher back into the fold if, and only if, this truly is a one off - if he has ever done something similar before with regard to the public, then I would want him sacked and not employed by any other arm of the media

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Who’s to say what’s worse anyway? Being spat in the face by your partner or punched in the face by your partner? I’d rather be punched myself.
Totally agree. If my wife punched me I'd be upset but probably pin it down to frustration on her part. If she spat in my face I'd be seriously offended and I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for a divorce lawyer.

I don't condone abuse of any nature though.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Totally agree. If my wife punched me I'd be upset but probably pin it down to frustration on her part. If she spat in my face I'd be seriously offended and I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for a divorce lawyer.

I don't condone abuse of any nature though.
I was going to say the same thing. If she punched me, we could probably work around that. But if she spat at me Then it’s time to dust off the suitcases

Malky

Established Member
****ing hell, people are treating this as Carragher tried to run them off the road, the way he's been portrayed as a bad guy in all this is over the top and ridiculous. Yes spitting is disgusting, it was incredibly stupid of him to let the bellend of the father get the better of him and wind him up to that point, the father went looking for a reaction and got it. But what Carragher did was stupid, but you know what's worse? Driving on a motorway where your focus is winding up another driver and ****ing filming it on your phone while your 14 year old daughter is in the car, then acting like the innocent party! I want to see a public apology from the father for his actions in all this, Carragher was man enough to admit what he did, take the heat for it and apologize
What that guy did is worse than Carragher, in my opinion. ****ing grow up and act like a father. Imbecile.

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
That’s so unfair. Jesus. Can you imagine how many footballers get trolled in their cars every week up and down the country by people filming them? I highly doubt it solely to get a reaction. They are famous footballers. It’s simply done because they can do it and film it these days. It happened before phones had cameras and it wasn’t done to get a reaction then. You’d think that being on camera would deter a reaction ffs!
This wasn't some ordinary interaction with a footballer, they saw him on the road and drove up right alongside him. They wanted to bait him into a reaction, they knew he'd most likely be pissed about the result. It's like the time Mourinho shoved that teenager who was filming him, he had no interest in just trolling him; he wanted some kind of reaction to go viral. Nobody is trying to excuse Carragher's behaviour, there's just a debate over how he should be reprimanded.

I can't believe what I'm reading here, that people would rather be punched than spat on. The latter is obviously disgusting and degrading but it's never caused anyone to get knocked out or have their nose broken.

Latest posts

Top Bottom