• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Qatar Sports Investment looking to buy English club

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The most likely scenario is understood to be to purchase a Championship club with potential and a significant fan base. Reports in France have suggested Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest or Queens Park Rangers are possible targets.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
They could buy a club and then do you a favour by poaching Emery again. :p

WgtX.gif

I think I'll write them an email

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This is probably the end of the "Kronke as saviour" fake scenario.

These guys are not stupid. They are not going to make the likes of Abramovich or the Glazers (or Mr Kronke) richer. The word is they are looking at sleeping giants - teams with trophies and history fallen on hard times. Which explains the rumours linking them to Aston Villa (biggest team in the central Midlands with huge potential fanbase if they see off their local rivals) 7 leagues, 7 FA Cups, 5 league cups and most importantly one European Cup. Also Forest - two European cups - and Derby, the smallest of the three but still with a couple of league titles.

When they buy the team it will take a year to get them up to the Premier League and they will immediately start to challenge for European places. Add this new powerhouse to City - with whom we cannot compete - factor in Manu's huge revenue generation, add Liverpool's more ambitious transfer strategy and there you have your top four.

Chelsea are not going to go away. We would struggle to pip the current Sp**s to 6th and would now be exposed to even missing out on Europa League football.

The dream is over. Prepare for mediocrity.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I have an idea. I'll write to Stan and suggest he renames his team Warsenal. Because we will now be in a W League fighting West Ham, Watford and Wolves.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
If this becomes another Man City then I may be done with following football with interest and just on a casual basis, having one club in the league stockpile players is enough but two, no thanks!

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
So they spend it all on vanity projects like pumping billions into football teams.... there's a cunning plan here which I'm missing out on somehow.

I recall reading an article a few years ago regarding the russian oligarchs purchase of clubs in the PL, a lot of it was apparently to do with being in the public eye and preventing the authorities to come after them for how they gained their wealth.

True or not I dont know.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I recall reading an article a few years ago regarding the russian oligarchs purchase of clubs in the PL, a lot of it was apparently to do with being in the public eye and preventing the authorities to come after them for how they gained their wealth.

True or not I dont know.
That was the theory with Abramovich - no other major oligarch sought or gained control of a major league ream. But I think that was overstated because, as was seen recently, he never got his full residence in UK and, in fact, he is said in Russian circles to have a very, very cosy relationship with Putin.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
That was the theory with Abramovich - no other major oligarch sought or gained control of a major league ream. But I think that was overstated because, as was seen recently, he never got his full residence in UK and, in fact, he is said in Russian circles to have a very, very cosy relationship with Putin.

Only remembered the jist of it to be fair, the article was a few years ago.

Not claiming any of it is true, at the time I think it was just one journo's take on it all not sure how much truth was really in it.

However, I think the Qatar or whatever investments are somewhat for ego, I think the money in football isn't an interest its being 'apart' of western culture and being at the top of it/having the control.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Only remembered the jist of it to be fair, the article was a few years ago.

Not claiming any of it is true, at the time I think it was just one journo's take on it all not sure how much truth was really in it.

However, I think the Qatar or whatever investments are somewhat for ego, I think the money in football isn't an interest its being 'apart' of western culture and being at the top of it/having the control.
Absolutely. This is why the idea that we can be one of the biggest teams with our current owner is facile. Self-financing we may be but contenders we won't be. In the future we should prioritise the Carabao Cup.

Top Bottom