• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Qatari Investment In Arsenal

Would you be happy if PSG's owners bought Arsenal?

• Total voters

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not sure anyone is in a position to take the morale high ground on this. Since Chelsea and City was taken over by super rich owners, plowing millions, if not billions of pounds into two former insignificant clubs, it has created a blueprint for more of the same.

This is not going to be the last time this happens. Can you really blame the geordies for celebrating this? There will be new and exciting players and a top manager coming in. I think it is easy to see why they are happy.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Not sure anyone is in a position to take the morale high ground on this. Since Chelsea and City was taken over by super rich owners, plowing millions, if not billions of pounds into two former insignificant clubs, it has created a blueprint for more of the same.

This is not going to be the last time this happens. Can you really blame the geordies for celebrating this? There will be new and exciting players and a top manager coming in. I think it is easy to see why they are happy.
Arsenal is surely able to take a moral high ground on this. It has been discussed earlier here though.

Kroenke shooting wild animals, or his wife using US laws to pay too little to workers is nothing on being responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths, and even children. And in danger of millions of dying.

C'mon man. These countries also have slaves and women have no rights.

I think with Qatar I might have been able to still support Arsenal, but with Saudis I think I'd have to stop.

GoonerJay24

Umm, what? We should go protest Newcastle's new owners, like that would do anything, or otherwise be that much of our business?

Super league was about us, this is not. This is a strawman argument.

It doesn't have to be protests, but sure if fans came together against these things I think it'd be powerful.

This will ruin the entire footballing pyramid long term; when this bubble eventually burst.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I could just about stomach being taken over by the People’s Front of Judea, but I draw the line at the Judea People’s Front!
That's a funny reference, but still I just can't understand how people think that there are no levels to morals.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Maybe someone here could clarify. What exactly are the Middle Eastern billionaires gaining by buying a club and also throwing so much money into the club. Do they plan to make profits at some point of time? Or is it just for glamour?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Remember when fans ganged up against Usmanov's bid to take over Arsenal.
The club allowed official fan group banners in the stadium. :lol: Not been impressed with their braintrust at Everton though... seem a bit amateur.

exclusive-523.jpg

1633862461514.jpeg
even fat shaming :lol:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Maybe someone here could clarify. What exactly are the Middle Eastern billionaires gaining by buying a club and also throwing so much money into the club. Do they plan to make profits at some point of time? Or is it just for glamour?
feels lazy to just say sportwashing but think it completely sums it up

Sportswashing is the practice of an individual, group, corporation, or nation-state using sport to improve its reputation, through hosting a sporting event, the purchase or sponsorship of sporting teams, or by participation in the sport itself.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We used to talk about morals in football like players diving or being a bit dirty, now were debating the severity of state genocides.

Yep, it shows how much the game has changed since Abramovich arrived and FFP failed to do anything about it. The next change was when City had their FFP ban lifted, that opened the doors to any billionaire who fancied buying a club. I've been at the "If you cant beat them join them" stage for sometime now.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
In Newcastle's case, according to Amnesty, it's all about image improvement for Saudi Arabia.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
They won't be making any losses that's for sure. They got Newcastle for 300m and every 100m they spend is going to be pushing their value 100m higher. So gain a devoted fanbase at no real net spend, win win. Look at City, currently valued at near Arsenal's value, whatever they've spent on players has increased their value proportionately.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Probably one of AM's Arabic posters can give a better version than this, but I think that many of the middle eastern nations are trying to diversify their economies away from oil, partly because it's a finite resource which is running out and partly because of reduced demand as the world finally starts responding to climate change.

These nations have built up huge wealth and need to find a home for it where it can continue to generate them money. Sports washing & tourism seem to be two of these ways which also promote the brand image of the country that they are trying to portray. Although they've invested hundreds of millions, I always assumed that Abramovich and the City/ PSG owners had basically grown the value of the club's in line with what they put it. It's a gamble though, and just because it has worked in the past, doesn't necessarily mean it will in the future.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Probably one of AM's Arabic posters can give a better version than this, but I think that many of the middle eastern nations are trying to diversify their economies away from oil, partly because it's a finite resource which is running out and partly because of reduced demand as the world finally starts responding to climate change.

You ain't being serious, are you?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I am being serious, but I'm being serious fully expecting someone to call me out for talking boll*cks (which I am quite possibly talking).

What's your take?

It's been very well known that owning sports clubs or franchises for these nations is a way of whitewashing their misdees. Then we're not moving away from fossil ressources anytime soon just because a few well off nations try to move away from gasoline on bonkers plans - e.g. oil is also used in the beauty industry etc. and probably most ironically in the production of different plastics, some of which are needed to build e.g. wind power plants. And lets not forget about any other country that's not so well off to come up with such stupid ideas. The world isn't moving away from fossile ressources. And while it is a finite source we're not running out of it currently.

Those Saudis buying Newcastle is nothing about diversifying their investments, it's all about whitewashing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom